Online multi location mapping - old dog requires new tricks advice, please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PDQ Mobile

Re: Online multi location mapping - old dog requires new tricks advice, please

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Forgive me for being thick regarding mapping software.
But why doesn't the OP merely carry an OS map with the places marked in a pencil cross?
Seems a lot simpler to me.

Ps. There is at least one benchmark not on the Snowdonia map. I thought the resolution/ detail too poor to be useful. Perhaps zoomed in it's better.
Personally I'm sticking with the OS 1:50.000 sheet!
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Indeed, my 40 year old OS 1:50000 maps still offer better battery life and contrast than my obsolete 4 year old iPhone.

They say imitation is the best form of flattery - see https://www.stuff.tv/samsung/galaxy-x/review - though I'm hanging on for the double-sided "Explorer" version with the bigger screen.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

backnotes wrote:OK I decided I needed to mark the locations of all the secondhand record shops in East Anglia on my iPhone, so I unlocked the Maps+ app to see if it helps.

Good news: It will upload multiple benchmarks from your site - I used your benchmarks site to create a .GPX file of all the benchmarks within 20km of some postcode in the middle of Snowdonia, and then opened it with Maps+, and it plots each one as a pin on the map. Screenshot below.

Bad news: What it won't do as far as I can tell is let you manipulate all of the points in Maps+ at the same time, so you would have to add a reminder and a radius around the push pin for each benchmark individually, so you just move the "one at a time" chore from getting the benchmarks into the phone to turning them into reminders that sound an alarm when you get within a certain radius.

So, close but no cigar for your application, but I am happy because I will soon be collecting overpriced crackly versions of things I already have on CD on my rides.

Good luck with your search!

I tried the free trial version and came to the same conclusion :( The only plus point being able to change the pin colours after they had been 'bagged'

And most most annoying, at a particular zoom level, in both map and satellite, it superimposes "Snowdon and the Menai Strait" every few hundred metres or so, onto the A498 all the way from Tremadog, through Beddgelert, up the Gwynant and then the A4086 down to Llanberis :x

What the Menai Strait has to do with anything here is very odd.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Forgive me for being thick regarding mapping software.
But why doesn't the OP merely carry an OS map with the places marked in a pencil cross?
Seems a lot simpler to me.

Ps. There is at least one benchmark not on the Snowdonia map. I thought the resolution/ detail too poor to be useful. Perhaps zoomed in it's better.
Personally I'm sticking with the OS 1:50.000 sheet!

Because I've just spent £240 on a bleedin' iPhone and want to get 'some' use out of it :wink:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"