Folding pedals

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

Re: Folding pedals

Post by fastpedaller »

If taking teh rear wheel out wouldn't it be beneficial to have both pedals folding? Am I missing something, or does the rear triangle and BB turn through 180 degrees (but only if rear wheel is removed). Brompton pedals are very expensive anyway. :(
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you do a full fold (i.e. with both wheels out) yes having both pedals fold is better, but if the rear wheel is left in only the right pedal sticks out much. Dunno if that makes it small enough to go in your 'van though.

Depending on how you stash the wheels in the 'bundle', even a full fold with non-folding pedals need not have pedals sticking out very far; if necessary they can go alongside the wheels or between spokes, with (say) a wheel each side of the main frame.

I think the rationale behind the solid rear axle was that most folk would want to throw the bike into a car boot, and for that the rear wheel can stay in the bike. I have QR wheels front and rear in mine though.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

My 'stowage plan' (which may be different once I've tried it) is to put the wheels in an old Ozzo double wheel bag which has been redundant since me racing days. This will then be 'soft-ish for laying on the frame or indeed in one of the other storage bays in the caravan. van is 6ft x 4ft in plan, with storage 4ft x 2ft x 18 inches, so it will be tight methinks.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

My montague was delivered today :D . The seller had (IMHO) exaggerated the extent of the paint damage to the frame - it's not too bad at all, finding (or maybe mixing!) the colour will be a challenge, but a few dabs with a tiny paintbrush, followed by some clear lacquer (I have some wonderful brush-on lacquer) and it will be fine. I'm undecided as to what components to use (more so now that I've received it), My intention was to replace the bb with (probably a thun twist) a slightly shorter one and fit a crank with a single chainring. The thing is that the bb feels perfect :) .... I wasn't expecting that. The present bb inaccurately measured with L crank still attached appears to be about 132mm - more measurement will follow in due course, but I think it will be far too long for a single. This afternoon (because I had time available due to delivery) I fiddle around in the garage and made a keeper/spacer to protect the dropouts from being crushed when the rear wheel is removed, and also hold the chain to some extent. My inspiration came from a cinelli chain keeper, to which was added an old axle with quick release and various lock nuts and cones to get to the required result. photos attached. A suitable front axle and quick release will also be used for the forks.
Attachments
wheel2.jpg
wheel1.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

ah, a blue one! IIRC the blue ones had the nicest built frames (with proper dropouts) and the best specification of parts from new.

When considering different bottom brackets, please note that most modern BBs won't fit; the seat tube bulges into the BB shell in such a way that a ST three piece BB will fit just fine but pretty most cartridge ones can't be fitted. I have fitted a sun-race/chin huar type one to a bi-frame by cutting away most of the centre sleeve and bonding the parts in using lots of threadlock (the centre sleeve was no longer strong enough to take the normal load) but this was a right faff.

It is a very good idea to use a grease gun on the nipple at the back of the seat tube; if not regularly greased the frame can get to the point at which the bike will never fold again!

cheers
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Yes it has good dropouts. It looks/feels as though the greasing has been done regularly. In fact the bike doesn't look as if it's had much hard use. BTW the seatpin is 26.6mm (and measures that as well!) and is a good, non-rattly, fit. I'm considering one of the Thun twist bb's - they appear to be plastic cups, and with no sleeve, but have 'sealed' bearings; again (like the cheap folding pedals) I'm not expecting miracles, but it may well serve the purpose I'm after. I was thinking also of fitting V brakes, but the cantis do appear to be worth keeping.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The SJS folding pedals arrived, and are IMHO good value for money (lets face it 6.99 delivered is VERY low budget). Holding the pedal in the hand (ie not attached to bike) the spindle could only just be turned :shock: , but about what I expected. Swift removal of the dustcaps (easy access if pedal is in 'folded' position) gave access to the bearings. A 12mm socket loosened the locknut (holding the spindle with 15mm open-ended spanner), and fiddling the cone anti-clockwise with a small screwdriver and re-tightening the 12 mm locknut cured it. They now turn (without any slack) with very little 'lumpiness', and I'll keep a check on them to ensure the bearing don't go loose. Inner and outer bearings both had a decent amount of grease. For what I want they'll be ideal, but the main drawback I can see is the sealing on the inner bearing is non-existent! so daily use would kill them in little time. I put some waterproof grease in the gap :D . This got me thinking that a seal could be created be cleaning the alloy surface with alcohol, and putting a smear of silicon on - thus creating a 'perfect O-ring' once the silicone sets, but doesn't stick to the greasy pedal spindle?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yes, you can do that. However a slightly unwelcome side-effect is that a lot of these materials release an acid as they cure; this may cause corrosion in its own right.

cheers
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Brucey wrote:yes, you can do that. However a slightly unwelcome side-effect is that a lot of these materials release an acid as they cure; this may cause corrosion in its own right.

cheers

Ah yes - they smell of vinegar ie. acetic acid! The glaziers' silicone doesn't use it, though it's a lot thinner. I may try a little experiment if I can find an opened tube.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Never mind the bike. I fairly fancy your caravan. Well done indeed.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

ambodach wrote:Never mind the bike. I fairly fancy your caravan. Well done indeed.

I'm planning another (I like building things!) It could be yours! All working with LED interior lights, opening windows and good upholstery :D