Folding pedals

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

Folding pedals

Post by fastpedaller »

For a little project I'm thinking of getting some cheap folding pedals. I've seen some generic ones at 6.99 on Ebay (SJS cycles as it happens) but suspect they may have 'nylon bush' bearings. I've also found some 'Raleigh' AKA Wellgo pedals at 11.99 which at described as having 'full bearings so run well'. Whilst £5 extra won't break the bank, does anyone here have experience of the bearings in cheap folding pedals. I realise they may need adjustment when new, and I'm not expecting quality (the use/mileage will be small) so I'm not wanting to pay £40 or similar as long as they aren't plain nylon or similar, and won't fall apart after a week! The main feature (stands to reason) is the folding feature, otherwise I'd just get some 1/2 decent pedals for a tenner. Thanks in anticipation.
Brucey

Re: Folding pedals

Post by Brucey »

I think the ebay SJS ones have the same cup and cone bearings that a very large number of cheap pedals have. In most such pedals these bearings are well-spaced and (if lubed and adjusted properly) last a fairly long time, but in these folding pedals the load on the outboard bearing is 'highly abnormal'. This leads to be balls scuffing and (very often) premature bearing failure. Any slack in the bearings is fatal, and (I feel) a bit more preload than normal might be beneficial in this case.

These pedals

are vaguely similar but have an aluminium body.

With pedals of this type, it is a bit of a toss-up as to whether the folding mechanism fails, the pedals break in some other interesting way, or the bearings collapse. Most with a similar design will do a turn but none last for ever. Even MKS ones made to this pattern (which have better quality bearings for sure) don't last anywhere near as long as other MKS pedals.

BTW to service and adjust some pedals of this type (eg the MKS ones) you need to dismantle the folding mechanism, so that the pushbutton/dustcap may be removed.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Just a thought. If these were fitted to a bike would I still need to remove them for plane travel?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Brucey - Thanks, as always, for your words of wisdom. FP
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one thing that isn't immediately obvious is that some (many) pedals have the whole cage move sideways in order to fold. This means that it is easy enough to knock the pedals when the bike is parked, and the pedals then fold when you are trying to ride the bike, which is highly inconvenient.

The MKS design avoids that; the pedal body just pivots and the push-button locks it in place. It is very much more difficult to knock an MKS pedal and cause an accidental fold.

BTW I can't remember who makes them but I am sure that I have seen similar pedals with a cartridge bearing arrangement. The abnormal loadings are perhaps better suited to cartridge bearings, in terms of direction, if not magnitude.

cheers
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:one thing that isn't immediately obvious is that some (many) pedals have the whole cage move sideways in order to fold. This means that it is easy enough to knock the pedals when the bike is parked, and the pedals then fold when you are trying to ride the bike, which is highly inconvenient.

Most of the ones I've seen have been spring-loaded with a fairly wide entrance to the slot that holds the platform body horizontal in use. It would have to be a very specific sort of "knock" to result in the pedal being folded enough not to spring back into the channel mouth but not so folded to be obviously not ready to ride.

I suspect it may be impossible to do on my folding bike but I've not tried it yet, but if it is possible, I think it would need to be mischief rather than accident.

Anyway, the worst case is that you'll be left with the inside of your sole on the non-folding core, which isn't a serious problem if you scoot-start - I've tried to set off on a pedal I forgot to unfold more than a few times! IMO this is yet another reason not to get in the habit of lifting oneself onto the saddle by standing on the setting-off pedal.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Fastpedaller
I have a pair of brand new plastic folding pedals that came on my Tern folder,they're yours at a very reasonable price,PM me if you're interested
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

reohn2 wrote:Fastpedaller
I have a pair of brand new plastic folding pedals that came on my Tern folder,they're yours at a very reasonable price,PM me if you're interested

Thanks for the offer, but in fairness to yourself they would cost 2.95 minimum to post, so the ones from SJS on Ebay at 6.99 delivered free are a steal.
Si

Post by Si »

We have a load of those shown in bruceys first pic....maybe five bikes worth. They are great for learn to ride as they allow people to scoot without mashing their shins. Weve had them for about four years, theyve not done a high mileage but have taken a lot of abuse from learners. So far all are still working fine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:
BTW to service and adjust some pedals of this type (eg the MKS ones) you need to dismantle the folding mechanism, so that the pushbutton/dustcap may be removed.

cheers

On the MKS it's just a case of knocking out a couple of roll pins to remove the cage and then it all slides off so you can get at the bearings.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yep, it isn't too difficult, but it is different to other (vaguely similar-looking) pedals.

FWIW when the bearings in cheap folding pedals are destroyed, it is often possible to replace them with parts (cones, cups etc) salvaged from other pedals (e.g. plastic bodied ones that have broken before the bearings have had a chance to wear much). It turns out that there are only a couple of common patterns of outer cup design. However given that you can buy similar pedals new for £6.99 it probably isn't worth it.

cheers
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

My Dahon came with folding plastic pedals. They lasted a few months then collapsed. The MKS ones shown by Bruce are very nice and much more robust. I’d recommend them without hesitation.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Fastpedaller - out of interest, what is your project that requires folding pedals?

As someone who tours a lot, I could see the advantage when loading on buses, planes, putting in hotels, etc. Sadly the pedals aren't normally up to to heavy sustained use.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

It's one Brucey is familiar with :lol: - a Montague Rudge folding bike (a recent purchase, not with me yet). I am a kit car enthusiast (my 2nd hobby :D ), and made a GRP folding caravan 7 years ago. The Montague is to compliment this (and fit inside), to take to car shows to get around - especially the National Kit Car show at Stoneleigh Park! If anyone has been there they will know the showground is vast.
I'm undecided what parts I'll use yet .....maybe v brakes instead or cantis. Maybe only 5 sprockets on a freehub. One strange thing is that every montague I've seen has a solid axle rear wheel but Q/R front, but it would seem sensible to have a Q/R rear as well. The pedals won't do many miles per annum, so cheap folding ones will be ideal.
Attachments
QuantumSleep 2small.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Top job with the van, chapeau sir !

I'd like to see how the folding bike turns out too; there are many ways you can go with it. Thinking about it you only need one folding pedal don't you? Unfortunately it is the RH pedal that ought to fold on a Rudge/Monatgue else otherwise a set of Brompton pedals would do?

cheers