Genesis Longitude sizing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Genesis Longitude sizing

Post by reohn2 »

staffo wrote:Which size did you guys go for in the end? I currently have a similar dilemma though I’m smaller at 5’6. I have one bike shop advising a small and another medium. The fella who advised medium is a similar height to me and rides a medium himself. He’s very kindly offered to let me try his bike later this week.

Take up his offer,but at 6ft(1.83m)I ride a medium(17.8inch).That said I could manage a large(19inch)easy enough but wanted the lower stand over of the Medium.
It's all down to reach and stand over with compact geometry,if you're happy on a medium all's well :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
staffo

Post by staffo »

Fingers crossed I’ll be having a ride on the medium tomorrow. I reckon the top tube may be a bit snug and the reach a bit long. My mate comfortably rides a large and he’s 5’10 :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

staffo wrote:Fingers crossed I’ll be having a ride on the medium tomorrow. I reckon the top tube may be a bit snug and the reach a bit long. My mate comfortably rides a large and he’s 5’10 :shock:

If it is you definitely need a small.
W H Auden
staffo

Post by staffo »

Had a decent ride on the medium this lunch time and it felt fine. No problem with standover and didn't feel stretched on it. The bike did have a set of the On One Jones copies on which affect the reach. The main advantage of the Medium over the Small is the extra bottle cage and more luggage space in the main triangle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

staffo wrote:Had a decent ride on the medium this lunch time and it felt fine. No problem with standover and didn't feel stretched on it. The bike did have a set of the On One Jones copies on which affect the reach. The main advantage of the Medium over the Small is the extra bottle cage and more luggage space in the main triangle.

If it feels right then it more than likely is :)
And I agree about the larger frame triangle,I have a Blackburn Outback medium sized frame bag on mine which,just leaves enough space for a bottle in the cage on the seatube,though not on the downtube,unzipped and extended the B/burn O/back bag fits perfectly between t/tube and d/tube with a lot of capacity.Nice bag,I like it.
If I need a second bottle I have a cage on the underside of the d/tube but rarely use it.

BTW,the chap who's bike you tested has excellent taste in handlebars :D
W H Auden
Skids

Post by Skids »

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a Longitude and like many others find the sizing guide on the website odd. The site claims that at five foot nine inches I should get a large. However, due to flexibility issues I like quite an upright riding position so I suspect I need a medium. What do you think?

Also when I look at the "smart" bike size specs page the selected dimension is not what is displayed on the graphic so I am suspicious of the figures being displayed.

reohn2 wrote: The LT T/buster is a must for my arthritic back and replaced hip(I'm an old fart)on the real rough stuff :)

Were you or anyone else tempted to buy a bicycle with suspension ? Or to put it another way what made you reject all the advertising that suggests that we all need full suspension as soon as we leave smooth tarmac (not that there is much of that in North Lincs!)?

I ask as I hope to ride my next bike on grassy river banks beside the river Trent and wonder if the 2.8 / 3.0 tyres of the Longitude will give a degree of "fatbike" float over what is a rough yet soft surface. My present bike is GT Lightning (circa 1998) that had a Rockshock Judy front fork. I removed it as I don't think it worked very well on small bumps. The GT now has a Thorn Nomad 531 steel fork. Its not bad but I'm hoping that being able to use lower tyre pressures of the Longitude will improve the ride quality. Any thoughts for a soon to be old fart ?

Skids
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Skids
Sizing
At 5ft 9in and wanting an upright riding position I think you need a medium or even a small,definitely not a large size.I'm 6ft tall and ride a medium size and whilst I could've bought a large size the medium has been fine the 41/2years I've been riding it.
Note,the newer model based on 27.5in wheels is the same frame as my 29er based machine,just msaller wheel diameter with bigger tyres.

Suspension.
I bought the Longitude because I specifically wanted to avoid mechanical suspension other than the LT sus post to take the big hits out of descending on a rough fast trail,(I have it set up with a 9 and 8 suspension rubbers so it doesnt affect my pedalling but takes care of rhe big hits).
The key to ride comfort with large section tyres is critical tyre pressures,eg; I ride mine,running very supple lighweight(760g)2.4inch Conti XKings @ 15psi front and 25psi rear with an all up weight of bike+day luggage+me of 100kg.I find anything higher makes the bike bounce around too much leading to sketchy handling on rough tracks with no increase in speed,the bike just becomes more uncomfortable leading to more fatigue andless enjoyable ride,and more unpredictable handling.
With the bigger 2.8 or 3inch tyres on the current model there's scope for reducing those pressures a lot more especially if you're a lightweight.
Interesting video interview on tyre pressures/speed/comfort,whilst not directly related to MTB's the principles are just the same:- https://youtu.be/asEYkpW0vwQ
W H Auden
Skids

Post by Skids »

Thanks for the information, the link to the video and your thoughts about suspension. I really like the idea of the Longitude but am wary of buying one sight unseen as I want to be sure that I buy one the size that is correct for me. So I am going to try and find a medium or small size frame that I can at least sit on before purchase.

As to suspension I am also keen to avoid the complications of suspension especially as I doubt that I will ever really make full use of it. I am not interested in the "big hits" its more the minor jolts caused by cobbles or similar. The sort of surface that my Girvin Flexstem took the sting out of back in the day.
Seen here fitted to my venerable Muddy Fox (circa 1984).
[img]
P1010020.JPG
[/img]

best wishes
Skids
Attachments
Muddy Fox Explorer
Muddy Fox Explorer
staffo

Post by staffo »

I’m 5’6 and have a small which works for me. I also tried a medium which also felt fine but plumped for small due to the lower stack height.
I reckon medium will be spot on for you with the added advantage of 3 sets of bottle cages over the 2 on the small.
I suspect the stack height on the large will be fine but the reach may be too long.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Skids wrote:...... I am not interested in the "big hits" its more the minor jolts caused by cobbles or similar...

The LT Thudbuster can be set up soft or as hard as you want it with different rubbers the only problem being that if set up too soft it will 'bob' with pedalling.
IME when set up right it does help with cobbles etc whilst really taking the sting out of the bigger hits,it certainly is a big help with my back problems
W H Auden
Skids

Post by Skids »

Staffo : yes I tend to agree - after all I seem to have been medium for most of my life! ;-)

reohm2 : I may give the thudbuster a try, my present new moutain bike (circa 1998) is fitted with a Hope suspension post and a brooks sprung saddle. This odd and a bit heavy combination seems to work ok.

Re suspension, I found this web page : https://www.outsideonline.com/2251536/b ... nsion-evil which raised a smile.

I also found that Kona do an all steel 29er MTB fitted 2.6 inch tyres - so I may have a look at one : https://bikepacking.com/news/2020-kona-unit-x/

best wishes

Skids
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

I'm 5'11" and I have a large 2015 Longitude but it has a short stem and butterflies which brings the grips back to the stem cap. It's the comfiest bike I've ever had. This is me on it.
Attachments
2015 Longitude.jpg
koolsach4u

Post by koolsach4u »

staffo wrote: 6 Jan 2020, 10:48am I’m 5’6 and have a small which works for me. I also tried a medium which also felt fine but plumped for small due to the lower stack height.
I reckon medium will be spot on for you with the added advantage of 3 sets of bottle cages over the 2 on the small.
I suspect the stack height on the large will be fine but the reach may be too long.
Hello
I am 5ft.7 inches with 28 inch inseam i am also facing dilemma between medium and small i think medium will be OK for me may be little streched out but if i put loop bar will that be ok what's your opinion ?? my preference will be more upright position also in small frame is it possible to fit rear rack like tubus logo because i think the rack mount on size small may be little downwards with tyre height
staffo

Post by staffo »

I did test ride a medium and it didn't feel much different to the small. If you're not worried about a higher stack height then I'd definitely go medium.
I never mounted a rear rack to mine so unfortunately I can't comment on that.
L+1

Post by L+1 »

staffo wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 11:59am I did test ride a medium and it didn't feel much different to the small. If you're not worried about a higher stack height then I'd definitely go medium.
Although I’ve no experience with a Genesis Longitude, my experience with other loaded tourers, especially with heavier rear panniers, is that a bike which is on the large side can effectively ‘become larger’, perhaps even too large, once loaded. I think the effect of a rear load is to reduce back flexibility and so reduce reach.