Argos road bikes ( i.e. Argos the utility shop )

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gbnz

Re: Argos road bikes ( i.e. Argos the utility shop )

Post by gbnz »

djnotts wrote:At 179 quid?

Hmm...have to admit a super keen Argo's employee ordered one in for me to review at the weekend (NB. Said Argo's is only a 3-4 minute walk from the gym / home!). Had to give it a miss as the temptation to buy a bike I don't need would be strong :wink: (I'm still tempted, but keeping it under control :wink: )
horizon

Post by horizon »

gbnz wrote:
djnotts wrote:At 179 quid?

Hmm...have to admit a super keen Argo's employee ordered one in for me to review at the weekend (NB. Said Argo's is only a 3-4 minute walk from the gym / home!). Had to give it a miss as the temptation to buy a bike I don't need would be strong :wink: (I'm still tempted, but keeping it under control :wink: )

Love it! We have a local Tesco's. (I'm not taking the Mick, it's great what you've done there).

PS Excellent review - this has been an eye-opening thread.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Has anyone actually brought one?!

How do they ride? Esp the carbon forked one?

Cheers James
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Jamesh wrote:Has anyone actually brought one?!

How do they ride? Esp the carbon forked one?

Cheers James

As mentioned on page 1 - I bought what would become the 'middle one' but only because the one with the carbon fork hadn't been released. I just wanted something to thrash on what was my pre-work blast of about 50 minutes and it handled just fine and was really nice and solid when sprinting. When I retired I didn't really need it as I have two decent road bikes and converted it to flat bars (piccie below) before selling it on.

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
peetee

Post by peetee »

robgul wrote:Is Argos offering any after-sales service and/or warranty work . . . ?

The late Toys R Us dabbled in low-end bikes and even had stores with a mechanic (or in reality a boy who had seen a bike before) and customer service was non-existent.

Rob

Not all their mechanics were second rate. In the early days at least one of them cared 8) ...even if the management didn't. :roll:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It’s super tempting at that price. A quick swap to the 11 speed R7000 Groupset I have on my favourite ( but sadly dying ) winter bike, with a wheelset swap ( off the same bike) and that’s a serious bargain winter / sportive bike right there.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Might buy one of these, fit mudguards & rack. Anyone think carbon forks are ok for a commute across a muddy smooth field, hard packed gravel and potholed single track roads?
Or should I go for the middle bike with steel fork?
I weigh 70kg plus my work stuff etc
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Greystoke wrote:Might buy one of these, fit mudguards & rack. Anyone think carbon forks are ok for a commute across a muddy smooth field, hard packed gravel and potholed single track roads?

I'd definately choose the steel forked version for commuting, even if it was slightly more expensive than the carbon forked one.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

gbnz wrote:
Greystoke wrote:Might buy one of these, fit mudguards & rack. Anyone think carbon forks are ok for a commute across a muddy smooth field, hard packed gravel and potholed single track roads?

I'd definately choose the steel forked version for commuting, even if it was slightly more expensive than the carbon forked one.

Would you not think rust would be a more likely failure than a carbon fork?? Just thinking aloud?

Cheers James
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jamesh wrote:
gbnz wrote:

Would you not think rust would be a more likely failure than a carbon fork?? Just thinking aloud?

Cheers James

No. I've never had a rusty fork yet, though I suppose I have got rid of that one I got back in 1987. And it's not as if the disadvantages of a carbon fork don't heavily outweigh any perceived advantage
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I rode my mid 80's 531c forked bike a few days ago....magic ride but don't want to use it for my commute.
Anyone riden these bikes?
Will the mid priced steel fork bike ride nice?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Greystoke wrote:I rode my mid 80's 531c forked bike a few days ago....magic ride but don't want to use it for my commute.
Anyone riden these bikes?
Will the mid priced steel fork bike ride nice?

As mentioned, I've had one and they do ride nice. Apart from the weight, there's doubt wrong with the steel fork. One point regarding mudguards, I think you might need to use 23mm tyres.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Thanks Spinners. Will mudguards not fit with the 25 tyres fitted?
I need mudguards for my commute
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Greystoke wrote:Thanks Spinners. Will mudguards not fit with the 25 tyres fitted?
I need mudguards for my commute

I did squeeze them in but it was tight when compared to the lovely clearances on the B'Twin Triban 100 I now use as my commuter/winter bike.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Those Triban 100's seem ideal.... Pity they're not half price.
I wanted to fit 700x28 tyres not 23, with mudguards.