Argos road bikes ( i.e. Argos the utility shop )

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jamesh

Argos road bikes ( i.e. Argos the utility shop )

Post by Jamesh »

What do people think of Argos latest attempt at a road bike.

Previous attempts have been poor thinking cp50 carbon etc.
But these seem half decent
https://www.cyclingplus.com/articles/he ... nge-bikes/
Cycling plus influenced.

What do people think?

I would still spend extra £20 for a virus razor tbh.

Or Boardman sport off eBay.

Cheers James
Last edited by Graham on 6 Dec 2019, 9:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Google tracking link replaced by direct link
Greystoke

Re: Argos road bikes

Post by Greystoke »

They look like well sorted bikes to me. I'd have one, proper mudguard & rack mounts & 36 spoke wheels
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I've got the 'middle' one (steel fork and 7-speed Shimano) as, at the time, the carbon fork version wasn't on sale - I might have bought that one although the colours on that one are a bit naff. At the time, I just wanted a cheap bike I could go out on for a 40-50 minute blast before work and not worry about washing it after every single ride, etc. I (almost) wrecked my Giant Defy last winter with all the salt they chucked on the roads so this was just a way to keep up my daily routine whilst preserving my other road bike for Sunday best. I fitted SKS P35 mudguards and had no issues using the 25mm tyres on the bike.

Pros: Sweet-handling frameset with a high front end, a strong wheelset and the 7-speed Shimano works faultlessly.

Cons: Heavy (steel fork, steel chainrings and a very heavy rear wheel).

I guess only having two sizes to choose from is another 'con' but academic to me as mine is a good fit. Apparently, the size is measured on the top tube!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

May I ask how tall you are and what size frame you have please?
The Argos site claims both sizes suit the same inside leg size which can't be true.....
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I expected this thread to be about the other Argos.

On these catalogue-shop bicycles, is the rear hub cassette or freewheel?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Greystoke wrote:May I ask how tall you are and what size frame you have please?
The Argos site claims both sizes suit the same inside leg size which can't be true.....

54cm and I'm 5' 8".
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Samuel D wrote:

Freewheel.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Brucey

Re: Argos road bikes ( i.e. Argos the utility shop )

Post by Brucey »

according to the description on the argos website, at least one of the bikes has 'SPD gears'.... the mind boggles.... :shock: :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is 'BSO' the right description?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Brucey wrote:according to the description on the argos website, at least one of the bikes has 'SPD gears'.... the mind boggles.... :shock: :shock:

cheers

Speed of Pedalling Defined!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is 'BSO' the right description?

That's actually what I've named mine on Strava - but tongue firmly in cheek.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Brucey wrote:according to the description on the argos website, at least one of the bikes has 'SPD gears'.... the mind boggles.... :shock: :shock:

cheers

Oops put my foot in it. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Spinners wrote:I've got the 'middle' one (steel fork and 7-speed Shimano) as, at the time, the carbon fork version wasn't on sale - I might have bought that one although the colours on that one are a bit naff.

My thoughts too; both on following the above link and viewing the argos catalogue, the colour scheme of the "top" bike is quite incredible!

That said, if I could really justify it I'd love to buy either of the first two in the range to see what they're like. I've absolutely no need for another bike and generally never suffer from the desire to buy stuff (Quite the reverse, judging by my 30 old rucksack, 40 year old dictionary et al), but somehow the temptation to buy a cheap bike is tempting at present :? And it looks quite fantastic for the price (Nb. Though I wouldn't like that huge drop from the outter chainring to the granny ring, obviously the pedals would be binned......)

And as for quality? Bought my only handmade wheel from one of Britains top touring shop the other year. It's the only wheel I've had in 40 years where the circumference isn't right and it's badly distorted out of shape after two years light use (Nb. In contrast the "emergency" wheel I quickly put together for the front with a new rim, old hub and a variety of spokes (Some too short) is still absolutely in true :?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Spinners wrote:
Samuel D wrote:

Freewheel.

cassette
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Please remember that "teamed up" means CP is taking money to promote these bikes (as indicated at the top of the pages) and the editorial is more of an advertising plug than a genuine review. The bike reviewers are sure to be cringing that the magazine is so closely allied to Argos and to this brand of bicycle (Challenge), especially when the plaudits fly in the face of all the advice and recommendations throughout the publication. The bike will be what it is and will keep many cyclists on the road at a good price. I would like to see more bikes and more equipment at lower price levels in the magazine - and it all reviewed with less commercial considerations.