Is the best rear light, a front light.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SA_SA_SA

Re: Is the best rear light, a front light.

Post by SA_SA_SA »

thirdcrank wrote:At closer distances, the height of the reflective makes a big difference. Seen from a car, the feet of a jogger with reflectives on their trainers will be highly visible when reflectives higher up are virtually invisible. This is because of the very acute angle of reflection.

Isn' it also because a dipped headlamps high brightness beam is dipped down a few degrees so will light the low ankle bands with the bright part of the beam sooner (ie when wearer is further away) than the higher mounted reflectives ?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
peetee

Post by peetee »

I bought a big piece of self adhesive reflective tape and secured it to the washing line pole in the garden to test it's adhesive qualities. Wandering down the garden this weekend I was surprised to see it was effective from an angle of approx 30 degrees and 6-7m from my bike light.
Reflective/prismatic material aside I can see the benefits of illuminating a rider wearing dayglow yellow for example where vehicles are approaching a roundabout occupied by the cyclist and the direction of the vehicles headlights and the drivers glances may not fully take in the merging roadway. Any light facing the rider must not be visible to the riders eye as this will, to a greater or lesser degree, create glare and reduce their vision.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
meic

Post by meic »

Wandering down the garden this weekend I was surprised to see it was effective from an angle of approx 30 degrees and 6-7m from my bike light.

I take it that you were with your bike at the time that you did this?
That you are saying it shows the light casts out enough light at 30 degrees to the light's axis to bounce directly back towards the lamp and your eyes.
Or were you saying that it was effective with you 30 degrees away from the light source?
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

SA_SA_SA wrote: ... Isn' it also because a dipped headlamps high brightness beam is dipped down a few degrees so will light the low ankle bands with the bright part of the beam sooner (ie when wearer is further away) than the higher mounted reflectives ?

I don't think so. I think it's everything to do with the angle of reflection. If the lights were on main beam at close range, reflectives higher up would still be less reflective.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

KM2 wrote:Perhaps getting bogged down in reflective strip, whereas I would see this as a way of illuminating the cyclist, outside the normal range of car driver vision. It simply gives shape to an object, as opposed to a small but possibly bright light in the distance.

I can remember a suit made of,I think, glass beads stuck to the garment. The idea was to give shape to the cyclist so that drivers wouldn't waste life saving time trying to interpret what is ahead.

This is one of the reasons why one of my rear lights is always set to flashing. Flashing red light = cyclist or emergency vehicle
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

thirdcrank wrote:.....I don't think so. I think it's everything to do with the angle of reflection. If the lights were on main beam at close range, reflectives higher up would still be less reflective.

I always noticed pedal reflectors lighting first in built up areas (where beam above cutoff is overwhelmed by streetlamps) and
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126287#p1292554 said:
IIRC the semi-angle for best reflection from retroreflectors is between about one degree and three degrees, depending on the type in use (broadly prismatic moulded plastic or glass beads respectively ). This means that if the light source and the viewer subtend the same angle to the reflector (plus or minus that semi-angle) then the viewer will see a bright reflection. This means that (for example) sat in an ordinary passenger car anything retroflective reflects with optimum efficiency back towards a driver provided it is over 25 metres away. Closer than that and you should be in range of the headlights anyway.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

How would developing any such product work in terms of victim blaming, similar to what we already have? Police stating that legal lights are 'not very bright' when a victim of crime has been struck.
That's all I see any of these ideas that seemingly throw more responsibility onto the vulnerable to absolve motorists of their responsibility and yet again it's the well if you had been wearing/using xxx you would/might have not being killed/injured/struck, which we know is absolute pony.

Why not simply go the whole hog instead of ridiculous half assed efforts, 'I am a cyclist, give me 1.5m space' emblazoned in 5000 lumens on the back of every jersey, jacket, not just for cycling but you could have them for pedestrians too and make them really fashionable so that people will want to wear them to work or to the shops as well as for recreation/sport, you could also have the same wordage projected back onto the road from a rear light, because that will stop motorists from ever killing or maiming ever again at night or in the day too right? :roll:

I hate these types of discussions, they serve no positive purpose for cyclists safety.
The utility cyclist

AndyA wrote:
KM2 wrote:Perhaps getting bogged down in reflective strip, whereas I would see this as a way of illuminating the cyclist, outside the normal range of car driver vision. It simply gives shape to an object, as opposed to a small but possibly bright light in the distance.

I can remember a suit made of,I think, glass beads stuck to the garment. The idea was to give shape to the cyclist so that drivers wouldn't waste life saving time trying to interpret what is ahead.

This is one of the reasons why one of my rear lights is always set to flashing. Flashing red light = cyclist or emergency vehicle

Does it, how do you know that?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AndyA wrote:

My feelings about flashing cycle lights is they say cyclist which all to often is interpreted as 'insignificant' to the less than caring motorists.
I stopped using the flashing mode a few years ago because of my suspicions
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The utility cyclist wrote:How would developing any such product work in terms of victim blaming, similar to what we already have? Police stating that legal lights are 'not very bright' when a victim of crime has been struck.
That's all I see any of these ideas that seemingly throw more responsibility onto the vulnerable to absolve motorists of their responsibility and yet again it's the well if you had been wearing/using xxx you would/might have not being killed/injured/struck, which we know is absolute pony.

Why not simply go the whole hog instead of ridiculous half assed efforts, 'I am a cyclist, give me 1.5m space' emblazoned in 5000 lumens on the back of every jersey, jacket, not just for cycling but you could have them for pedestrians too and make them really fashionable so that people will want to wear them to work or to the shops as well as for recreation/sport, you could also have the same wordage projected back onto the road from a rear light, because that will stop motorists from ever killing or maiming ever again at night or in the day too right? :roll:

I hate these types of discussions, they serve no positive purpose for cyclists safety.

I tend to agree,but what we're stuck with is an element of uncaring motorists,an ineffective policeforce and a loaded CPS against the victim.
Because of that what's being discussed is how to make oneself visible and appear w-i-d-e,to make those uncaring motorists think,a bit of applied psychology if you will,so we won't need to trouble the police,CPS,or the Ambulance service.
I dearly wish it were otherwise but it ain't so needs must.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

The utility cyclist wrote:How would developing any such product work in terms of victim blaming, similar to what we already have? Police stating that legal lights are 'not very bright' when a victim of crime has been struck.

Absolutely. Whenever I ride at night, I make sure to dress all in black, and carry no more lights than the absolute legal minimum. Being right is so much more important than staying alive! :D
The utility cyclist

nirakaro wrote:

Absolutely. Whenever I ride at night, I make sure to dress all in black, and carry no more lights than the absolute legal minimum. Being right is so much more important than staying alive! :D

And your evidence for that is?
I hear that phrase all the time and yet there is no evidence to support it, is there, or will you provide some links or hard data to prove your statement? It's same when taking the lane instead of ceding priority and moving over, because 'no good being right than being dead'. and yet that's just not the case at all is it?

You're also training motorists that you and others will always get out the way, you're training motorists as do indeed government, police and cycling orgs, that it's up to the vulnerable to armour up/light up more and that way long term has not and never will work out to increase safety of the vulnerable. We have now fallen into a light war, DRLs which have failed to have any impact whatsoever on safety but offer another distracting aspect during the day and at night, lights that are unlawfully dazzling yet police do squat and government allow manufacturers to have because they incorrectly think more light equals better, which it does not.
here we are talking about what light is best, having a front type light on the rear, people like yourself stating that you'll be dead if you wear black and or have one light, and yet here I am as are many millions of others whom have somehow managed to miraculously survive many decades of riding in black and one simple rear light. All my jackets are black, my longs are black, I use one steady or slow pulse rear light and have done so for decades, I used to put my light on flash years ago when I first bought a blinker but I won't do that anymore and it's made jack all difference.

More light encourages riskier actions and faster speeds, you see this for cyclists as well as motorists, the increased speeds give you less reaction time and ability to take in and process the information of what is ahead, people are riding/driving worse due to increased ahead lighting and rear lighting of any form is not having any effect on safety. The result despite increases in helmets, despite so called improvements in motorvehicle safety, despite brighter/further throw lights we are seeing increases in overall KSIs, at best there is no decrease in the last 10 years when cycle lights have taken some big steps forward yet it's a light war we can never win and changing the rear light to somehow catch the attention of those that are simply not able to see a basic light or drive as per HC126 will not make a jot of difference as we have seen over history.

The president of the CTC in the 1920s was absolutely correct with respect to objecting to compulsary rear lights for cyclists!

Reflectives which may well be seen by the light of another on the road outside of the throw of a light but again we are asking the vulnerable to have something that flies in the face of the rule about driving at a certain safe speed. Despite all the reflectives (and lights) those that aren't looking and/or are distracted will not see anyway, we already know this.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

When I started riding I was commuting from near Crowle down the A18 to Scunny. I would regularly be riding back from the pub (is the Bent Brief still in existence?) I worked in after we had finished for the night and it would take probably an hour mostly on unlit roads. I did at least have my trusty Neverready's, those massive white ones, but I had to navigate by the feel of whether I was riding on tarmac, a white line, or grass (there were some serious dykes to fall into further out too). Approaching cars would illuminate the road, although once this revealed that I was completely on the wrong side of the road. I regularly used to stop and check that my back light was visible, and it did seem to glow a little bit from near by but it didn't seem to cast much light and it was a bit of a cause for concern. I was discussing my concern about this once and a friend of my Dad's mentioned that he had passed me a few times on the way back from work and my back light was working just fine, so I stopped worrying.

Those were properly rubbish lights, but back in those days they were perfectly visible from a long way off in the dark.
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

mattsccm wrote:Two lights on a trike makes it look wide. ( yes I know it is but you get my drift) why not one of those flag things that stick out? Easier than slapping something on the elbow.

I made some lights which fit into the end of the 'bars
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

The utility cyclist wrote:
AndyA wrote:

Does it, how do you know that?

What other road users display a flashing red light?