Halfords Vs Decathlon (entry-level MTB)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
josht97

Halfords Vs Decathlon (entry-level MTB)

Post by josht97 »

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a MTB from either Halfords or Decathlon to use for getting to/from university every day.

I have previously owned the basic Apollo Slant from Halfords which lasted about 2 years before the chain and rear wheel hub broke simultaneously at some traffic lights! I didn't get this repaired as the cycle shops around me wanted to charge at or more than what the bike was originally purchased for, so instead I brought up a Karnac Land Rover bike from back home to use for the remainder of my 3rd year, however this was stolen after a week!

I've found the Rockrider 340 at Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-3 ... l#v2004297#tstoreTab

I haven't purchased through Decathlon before, but not sure if I really trust Halfords or the cheap Apollo bikes again as they tried to charge me £150 to repair mine.

Any suggestions for a cheap new MTB?
Thanks all for your help.
landsurfer

Re: Halfords Vs Decathlon (entry-level MTB)

Post by landsurfer »

Its back to ebay, shpock, gumtree etc. Ive just bought a cracking alloy framed Raleigh MBT for £50 ... as new ....
Last edited by landsurfer on 13 Nov 2018, 8:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Halfords seem to be turning back into a bike shop. Went into Lincoln Halfords today and the large ground floor area was virtually all cycle related. Almost all the car stuff was banished to the smaller mezzanine area which is about a third the size of the ground floor. Last time I went in there it was the opposite way round.

Wonder if Currys will ever change back...

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
josht97

Post by josht97 »

landsurfer wrote:Its back to ebay, shpock, gumtree etc. Ive just bought a cracking allow framed Raleigh MBT for £50 ... as new ....

I did think that too and I've had a good look around. I think it can depend heavily on your area, around me it mostly consists of either cheap rusty bikes or expensive road bikes. I will continue to look though, thanks.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Go Outdoors bikes are getting good reviews.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

josht97 wrote:I've found the Rockrider 340 at Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-3 ... l#v2004297#tstoreTab

I haven't purchased through Decathlon before, but not sure if I really trust Halfords or the cheap Apollo bikes again as they tried to charge me £150 to repair mine.

Any suggestions for a cheap new MTB?

For what use? If it's for actual MTBing you'd ideally want to spend more than that. Or look 2nd hand.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thelawnet wrote:]

For what use? If it's for actual MTBing you'd ideally want to spend more than that. Or look 2nd hand.

josht97 wrote:Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a MTB from either Halfords or Decathlon to use for getting to/from university every day.

?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I certainly rate Decathlon bikes. I’d avoid suspension if you’re buying at the lower price range.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

For riding to and from University this might be a better than a mountain bike. It has mudguards , a rear carrier and dynamo lights so don't need to bother with batteries. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-10 ... 05477.html
Or this if you don't mind spending a bit more for better kit and/or want a supension front fork. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-50 ... 05476.html
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I don't know why people buy new.

You could easliy get a decent bike for half that price .

And i'm wondering why you need a MTB to get to UNI ? is it all off road to get there ?

Why not get a hybrid with a rack and mudguards.
peetee

Post by peetee »

bikerwaser wrote:I don't know why people buy new.

And those that know nothing about bikes can easily buy a bike thats worth X, costs X and needs 2X to be spent on it.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bikerwaser wrote:I don't know why people buy new.

And i'm wondering why you need a MTB to get to UNI ? is it all off road to get there ?

Why not get a hybrid with a rack and mudguards.

Well if people didn't buy new then nobody could buy secondhand either :lol:
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Decathlon bikes are good for the money. It's the in-store mechanics that are hit or miss.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Well if people didn't buy new then nobody could buy secondhand either :lol:

Perhaps there is a factory somewhere making second hand bikes. Like genuine artificial leather. Or original replicas.
John