Your Favourite Saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pjclinch

Re: Your Favourite Saddle

Post by pjclinch »

thelawnet wrote:Any thoughts on the Brooks Cambium? I don't fancy a leather saddle in tropical conditions with trillions of mold spores, 30C and 99% humidity.

I have a C17 Short I picked up cheap which I've used for a day. I'm a long-time B17 user. Only a day isn't much to go on, but over that day I came to feel that it felt similar to a not-worn-in B17. That is, for a Brooks-compatible backside it was comfortable, but not quite as comfy as the refined and personalised leather one with years on the clock.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Witterings wrote:Certainly looks like Brookes is pretty much up there for sure ... never tried one .... almost can't not do so with so much support!

Has anyone tried either the Specialized Phenom Comp or the Avatar Comp Gel?

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... enom-comp/

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... -comp-gel/

I've had an Avatar on my winter bike for some years now - nice all-round saddle with some cushioning but not excessively squashy. On the summer road bike I have the unfortunately-named Specialized Toupe, which is a lot sleeker and firmer. I have a slightly more relaxed and upright poosition on the winter bike, and the Avatar works well with that. Every bike in this household - male and female - had a Specialized saddle until recently, when the ancient original-model Body Geometry saddle on my tourer finally wore out. (It was on its third bike.) Sadly Specialized no longer seems to produce an equivalent to that model, so the tourer now sports a Pro Condor, which has the same 'anatomical' shape and is fine if a little on the solid side for touring and commuting. Generally, though, I'm a big fan of the Specialized Body Geometry designs.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Fizik Arione was my favourite, but it’s been usurped by this year’s memory foam saddle from Aldi ( of all places ) it’s super comfy, and cost very little as well.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Weirdly enough it's an old Ideale 92 Diagonale. Never went out of shape and the leather is lovely and soft.
pq

Post by pq »

I really hate Brooks saddles (having tried a few) so what I like might be useful for fellow Brooks haters. These days I always use Specialized Toupe in the appropriate width for my sit bones. They are astonishingly comfortable.

Back in the day before anyone applied science to saddle design, my favourite was a San Marco Concor.
One link to your website is enough. G
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pq wrote: ......These days I always use Specialized Toupe in the appropriate width for my sit bones. They are astonishingly comfortable.

Which one there are about three different ones?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
robc02

Post by robc02 »

pq wrote:I really hate Brooks saddles (having tried a few) so what I like might be useful for fellow Brooks haters. These days I always use Specialized Toupe in the appropriate width for my sit bones. They are astonishingly comfortable.

Back in the day before anyone applied science to saddle design, my favourite was a San Marco Concor.

As posted earlier, I also use Specialized Toupe or Toupe Gel. Mine are 130mm. I find them very comfortable except when "on the rivet" - for that I found an original Concor or, maybe better still, Cinelli/Unica to be pretty good. I have the Toupes on my sporty bikes and the Gels on my LHT and hub-geared commuter and find them comfortable over short and long distances, fast and slowish rides. The best all-round compromise for me.

I also get on OK with Brooks saddles - but then I can ride almost anything without much bother!
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

These fine saddles are fitted to my various bikes. A good mix of comfortable anatomic 80's/90's goodness!
San Marco Rolls - good supportive saddle, rails can sag/fail with age.
Selle Italia Turbo - as above, perhaps not quite as comfortable, better made than the Rolls.
Selle Italia Oktavia - very comfortable, manganese rails can crack.
Charge Bucket - a Turbo knock off, albeit a good one, not quite as comfortable as the Turbo (inferior padding).

I have also tried and rejected the following:
San Marco Rolls Due - a supposed improvement on the classic Rolls, smaller and less supportive, not a patch on the original.
Selle Italia Turbomatic 2 - Harder, narrower and less comfortable than the classic Turbo, looks good though!
Selle Italia Flite Titanium 'Alpes' - Best looking saddle of all time. Too uncomfortable for the long days of club cycling though.
Brooks B17 - uncomfortable and impossible to find the 'right' position.

I would like to try:
San Marco Regal Saddle - always liked the look of these, gorgeous profiled rivets!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

pjclinch wrote:
thelawnet wrote:Any thoughts on the Brooks Cambium? I don't fancy a leather saddle in tropical conditions with trillions of mold spores, 30C and 99% humidity.

I have a C17 Short I picked up cheap which I've used for a day. I'm a long-time B17 user. Only a day isn't much to go on, but over that day I came to feel that it felt similar to a not-worn-in B17. That is, for a Brooks-compatible backside it was comfortable, but not quite as comfy as the refined and personalised leather one with years on the clock.

I lent that C17 to an Audax-riding pal who had enquired about Brooks when he saw the leather one on my Brom. He had yet to find a saddle that he rated better than "tolerable".
Saw him last week and he said how it had gone. When he started with, "I just used it for one ride" I figured it hadn't gone well, but then he continued with, "and it was the most comfortable saddle I've ever used!" He's bought one for himself.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

A Specialized Sonoma 155 that has made it on to various different bikes down the years.
For a race bike I prefer Spesh saddles the latest one is a £10.00 sale bargain.

For an upright bike the Brooks B66S on the missus's Pashley is as comfy as your favourite sofa.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Serfas
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I have gone back to leather saddles due to getting saddle sores with anything else, it would be really interesting when saying what saddle you use, whether you use it with or without padded shorts.
Myself i wear triathlon shorts with no padding.
Pat
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

yostumpy wrote:Spa Nidd, for me, 5-6 years now, many thousands on miles, honey (well was honey) coloured, and its my only saddle as I only ride one bike for everything. BUT I have been lusting after a GB Aspin in ' natural', why ....well I don't know really, suppose because I can, and I can afford it, and I believe it would be money well spent.

Well, I now have an Aspin , in Brown, from E-bay (Germany), New, but s/h if you know what I mean. 150km so far, and I think I'm going to like it.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Leather!

I have a Brooks Team Professional which is abut 25yr old on the Moulton APB and a Spa Nidd on the Moulton TSR.

Little to choose between them and both awesome
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I find Brookes B17 standard very comfortable (I have three) but I haven't tried to see if there are even more comfortable saddles out there. I ride without padded trousers. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.