If these (mystery, unidentified, Ebay frames) are any good?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

If these (mystery, unidentified, Ebay frames) are any good?

Post by fastpedaller »

I've seen these on Ebay - they look to be (possibly) a nice frame for the money (not that I could get another bike - I'd be ejected from the house!) buit I'm curious to know. Seller says they were previously selling them (although a 'net search reveals nothing), also says he's now down to a few, although there doesn't appear to be any feedback from a sale of one. The Maxway tig welded frames are IMHO good (if my Spa and Pompino originated there ?), but what of their brazed frames? I realise that there are skills in brazing which are different from those on tig welding, and the process (brazing) may be more susceptible to experience (or lack of). Which leads me to another question.... now CrMo db tubing is made by Reynolds et al, why would a builder choose to use 531, which is more delicate and intolerant to over-heating?
Last edited by fastpedaller on 16 Nov 2018, 6:02pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brucey

Re: If these are good?

Post by Brucey »

fastpedaller wrote:I've seen these on Ebay .....

er, which? I can't see a link...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Re: If these (mystery, unidentified, Ebay frames) are any good?

Post by pete75 »

fastpedaller wrote:I've seen these on Ebay - they look to be (possibly) a nice frame for the money (not that I could get another bike - I'd be ejected from the house!) buit I'm curious to know. Seller says they were previously selling them (although a 'net search reveals nothing), also says he's now down to a few, although there doesn't appear to be any feedback from a sale of one. The Maxway tig welded frames are IMHO good (if my Spa and Pompino originated there ?), but what of their brazed frames? I realise that there are skills in brazing which are different from those on tig welding, and the process (brazing) may be more susceptible to experience (or lack of). Which leads me to another question.... now CrMo db tubing is made by Reynolds et al, why would a builded choose to use 531, which is more delicate and intolerant to over-heating?

The only Maxway frames I found on there are built in Columbus tubing not 531. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-road-b ... :rk:1:pf:0
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
whoof

Post by whoof »

These have been selling on ebay for ages an could be an alternative (to buy not source of OPs frame).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rsp-Raleigh- ... 1277328320
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

whoops! More haste less speed on my part....
Here's the link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-road-b ... 3475714181
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Very reminiscent of the Kogswell frames from about 10 years ago.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

fastpedaller wrote:whoops! More haste less speed on my part....
Here's the link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-road-b ... 3475714181

it looks OK for the money; shame it isn't more flexible though--- vertical dropouts and 130mm OLN limits your choices somewhat; no SS/fixed gear, no IGH unless a tensioner is fitted.

Is it my imagination or is there a braze-on low down on the back of the seat tube?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Brucey wrote:Is it my imagination or is there a braze-on low down on the back of the seat tube?
There being no bridge between the chainstays, I think this is probably a mounting point for a mudguard. This is something that Salmon did on some short wheelbase frames back in the 90s.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Seems good value for the money. Shame they've only got them in the one size.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I seem to remember these frames in road and track versions in my lbs from about 2 years ago. I'm assuming they're Chinese in origin, like most of the quality carbon and titanium frames on eBay. They looked very well made, but there were no 'extras'. Just one set of bottle bosses, you had to use clips on the top tube for cables and of course no shiny chrome (half the appeal to me, of buying a steel frame).

And Columbus cromor is very heavy. Expect a frame weight 3-400gr more than Reynolds 531 (which I still have a soft spot for).

Best value I've found for a winter /trainer steel bike has been a Reynolds 653 frame, which is significantly lighter than 531 (I have a good French 653, at 1655gr the frame) and feels a lot more lively on the road.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

whoof wrote:These have been selling on ebay for ages an could be an alternative (to buy not source of OPs frame).

That looks good also. Strangely some of the photos show the fork has both canti mounts and disc mount, although the description only refers to canti.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Canuk wrote:I seem to remember these frames in road and track versions in my lbs from about 2 years ago. I'm assuming they're Chinese in origin, like most of the quality carbon and titanium frames on eBay. They looked very well made, but there were no 'extras'. Just one set of bottle bosses, you had to use clips on the top tube for cables and of course no shiny chrome (half the appeal to me, of buying a steel frame).

And Columbus cromor is very heavy. Expect a frame weight 3-400gr more than Reynolds 531 (which I still have a soft spot for).

Best value I've found for a winter /trainer steel bike has been a Reynolds 653 frame, which is significantly lighter than 531 (I have a good French 653, at 1655gr the frame) and feels a lot more lively on the road.

They appear to have 2 sets of bottle bosses and brazed-on cable stops!
tollo

Post by tollo »

fastpedaller wrote:That looks good also. Strangely some of the photos show the fork has both canti mounts and disc mount, although the description only refers to canti.

Few years ago you could choose if you want canti or disk fork. I gues disk mount fork is now sold out.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

fastpedaller wrote:
whoof wrote:These have been selling on ebay for ages an could be an alternative (to buy not source of OPs frame).

That looks good also. Strangely some of the photos show the fork has both canti mounts and disc mount, although the description only refers to canti.

I bought one of those frames a couple years ago. The head tube is set at a really steep angle which makes for some funky handling traits. Even a shallow rut in the ground makes the bike handle like it's stuck in a tramline. Breakwelmz of this parish found that also.
I heard from a member of the YACF forum that the fork was not something that was originally supplied with the frame and is an afterthought.
It's worth noting that the cables are top tube routed and unless the bike is being built as a flat bar bike with mountain bike chainset and front mech then a cable pulley will most likely be needed for a bottom pull front mech. It'll also require a rear brake cable stop as there isn't one welded to the frame.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
tollo

Post by tollo »

Vantage wrote:
I bought one of those frames a couple years ago. The head tube is set at a really steep angle which makes for some funky handling traits. Even a shallow rut in the ground makes the bike handle like it's stuck in a tramline.

I found mine to be very predictable and stable. Steering is slow compared to road bikes but it's easy bike to ride no handed. I build mine with drop bars, v-brakes, bar end shifters and mtb chainset.