Bikes on French Regional (TER) Trains Sorted Thanks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iainb

Bikes on French Regional (TER) Trains Sorted Thanks

Post by iainb »

Hi folks
Is it still possible to just turn up and get on a TER train with your bike (provided there's space) ? I'm sure when I did this before a box appeared on the website to say that bikes were carried on this train but that doesn't seem to happen now
Thanks and regards
Iain
Last edited by iainb on 18 Nov 2018, 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
nirakaro

Re: Bikes on French Regional (TER) Trains

Post by nirakaro »

It certainly was back in June. Even when there isn't space - I've seen a dozen bikes happily squeezed into a space meant for five or six.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

SNCF are extremely accommodating on TER trains, I picked up a TER en route to Toulouse in August which was at breaking point with people and at least 30 bikes on the platform. The staff kept the train back by 8 minutes so everyone could get on board and bikes/gear packed safely away, including a recumbent! I even got a meal and a glass of wine from one of my fellow cyclists :)

On smaller local routes there are much fewer bikes, the only trains you really need to book are the TGV, which has always been the case. It's better to look out for the 'bike' logo as not every carriage will take cycles, they're usually located at either end of the train. You can also take these services into Northern Spain (changing at Cerbere on the border) without booking, and these services are really only busy at peak times in the evening. In Spain rail prices are even cheaper still, you can travel from the border for instance to Figueres (60km) for under 3 euros single. Its a journey I've done many times and cycling back up the coast to France is an absolute joy.
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

I have completed around 14 train journeys in France over the last 3 years. This includes two trips on SNCF fast trains with a group of 4. Always had a bit of apprehension beforehand Never had an issue and found that the train staff were extremely helpful. Regional trains are not a problem did not even take panniers of the bike , travelling by Regional train in France is an experience not to be missed cycling in France is a joy cant wait to get back there.

Regarding SNCF fast trains. If you are using automated ticket machines for SNCF trains ( most stations now only have this option) and try to book a bike on, it will ask you if the bike is bagged say yes. This means covered with a plastic bag as some of the fast trains do not have a bike carriage and they don't want oil all over the seats. Last trip in May we went from Nice to Mende partially on the SNCF and the helpful train manager held up the train and put our bikes in the guards van.

Cheers Peter
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Also worth mentioning the fantastic 1 euro each way TER from Carcassonne Station (about 20 mins from tne Airport) to Quillan, about 10 stops on the way through lovely rural villages (Alet de Bains is well worth a visit). Its about a 60km journey. Quillan drops you right at the foot of the Pyrenees in an astonishing landscape of high mountains.

Yes, I did say 1 euro! Service runs all year round and there's always plenty space for bikes, normally 6 services each way per day (sometimes it will be a bus if there's works on the railway, but they take bikes on the bus no problem).
iainb

Post by iainb »

Thanks for the replies folks, sounds good!
climo

Post by climo »

Canuk wrote:SNCF are extremely accommodating on TER trains, I picked up a TER en route to Toulouse in August which was at breaking point with people and at least 30 bikes on the platform. The staff kept the train back by 8 minutes so everyone could get on board and bikes/gear packed safely away, including a recumbent! I even got a meal and a glass of wine from one of my fellow cyclists :)

Was this a recumbent trike?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

climo wrote:
Canuk wrote:SNCF are extremely accommodating on TER trains, I picked up a TER en route to Toulouse in August which was at breaking point with people and at least 30 bikes on the platform. The staff kept the train back by 8 minutes so everyone could get on board and bikes/gear packed safely away, including a recumbent! I even got a meal and a glass of wine from one of my fellow cyclists :)

No just a 2 wheeler!
climo

Post by climo »

Canuk wrote:
climo wrote:

No just a 2 wheeler!

Pity, just trying to find out if they'd take my trike. Folded it might be ok, trouble is you have to buy a ticket to find out.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

climo wrote:
Canuk wrote:
climo wrote:Was this a recumbent trike?

No just a 2 wheeler!

Pity, just trying to find out if they'd take my trike. Folded it might be ok, trouble is you have to buy a ticket to find out.

I think you'd be fine. I've seen tandems and even motorbikes put on local trains. The beauty of the state run SNCF is that its truly a public service, for the ordinary people and the staff will bend over backwards to accommodate you. You don't even need to book a ticket on the local trains, just turn up.