Is CYCLIST magazine worth a subscription ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
malvandy

Is CYCLIST magazine worth a subscription ?

Post by malvandy »

Is the Cyclist magazine worth getting a 6 month subscription for. I was thinking of something general to cover most aspects of cycling to read about this winter
Last edited by Graham on 21 Nov 2018, 9:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title - rather more helpful.
backnotes

Re: Is CYCLIST magazine worth a subscription ?

Post by backnotes »

It's a nicely presented magazine, and I sometimes buy it because it has beautifully illustrated features on places I'd like to go cycling. It's pretty firmly aimed at road cyclists, with reviews of high end bikes and kit, so if you are interested in cycling on a more everyday budget, or in touring or utility cycling, there may be better magazines for you.

I bought this month's edition on impulse (I went shopping for firelighters....), and there's a nice feature on places to cycle in Provence other than Mt Ventoux. The 3 bikes they review this month cost between £5000 and £11650, and there are reviews of shoes and a helmet that cost more than my last bike.

If you are a road cyclist who thinks nothing of spending £5000+ on a bike, or you like to dream, then it's good, but if you want "something general to cover most aspects of cycling" including things like practical hints and tips on touring and maintenance etc. then maybe look elsewhere.
malvandy

Post by malvandy »

That's not my world, definitely not the Ferrari world of cycling. Any suggestions anyone?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

malvandy wrote:That's not my world, definitely not the Ferrari world of cycling. Any suggestions anyone?

To be frank, they're all a bit hopeless unless you're into heavy consuming, since their articles are either "tests" or reviews of cycling things you can buy. They are rarely critical and one gets the impression that their articles are more or less PR pieces for the manufacturers, providers of holidays in exotic places, shops, etcetera.

Still, it is possible to get some entertainment from reading their often cliché-ridden prose. And their reviews at least make you aware of various bits of cycling gubbins. But they are, basically, catalogues. Websites about cycling tend to have more and better content, although they too can be choca-blok with adverts (explicit and implicit).

There may be some exceptions to the above. The CyclingUK magazine is less product-oriented, even though they review a few. On the other hand, even that publication rarely has much in it that I personally have an interest in. But then I can't say what would interest me that much in a cycling publication. Why read about cycling when you can do it?

I like to come to the forum to discuss this and that, mind - even cycling. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Magazines on paper are out, used to like French ones mind

There are more than a million posts on these fora, plenty to read here

Other fora are available
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I enjoy reading Cyclist now and then in the same way that I enjoy reading Rouleur. It doesn't really have a lot to do with the sort of cycling I do, but the photography is beautiful, the locations enticing, and one can always dream of sunnier days and weeks off work. The gear-focused magazines aren't really my bag.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I enjoy the magazine very much, also a digital subscription gives you access to previous editions.
If you do subscribe to the digital version and then stop, don't upgrade the app as you will lose access to the downloads!!! I had to argue my case to get them back.
Glyno

Post by Glyno »

why not try the '3 issues for £5' offer?
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

You a member of a library? if so you can use your card and sign into rb digital and read 10 cycling mags online(3 mountain the rest more road),not ideal as I like to read a paper mag but I haven't really got the cash to spare for them anymore and the chance of ten cycling mags is to got to not use.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I buy this magazine occasionally if it has material that I'm interested in.
The equipment featured is very high end ( expensive that is) and those features are probably in the main read by those who aspire to this high end stuff but are unlikely to be in a position to purchase it - I suppose that's a similar position to sports car magazines - these magazines rely on their sales being to the aspirational.
I'm not tempted to take out a subscription - these days I can't find any cycling magazine which I would want on a regular basis - I receive "Arrivee" as an Audax uk member and I've found of late that it has some very interesting reading and of course "Cycle" which IMO is pretty dismal - a quick scan and it's usually heading for the recycling.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Europe's largest-circulation cycling magazine, 'Tour', is quite good
If you can read German :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Have it on subscription .... mostly high end carbon space ships ... but ... masses of articles about riding in foreign climes ... on carbon space ships .... i have piles to give away to anyone who wants them ... top quality mag ... very "coffee table" in its format .... but always a good read ... some real world steel frame stuff and some shovel beard hipster steel frame stuff as well...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.