Garmin or mio

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bolex

Garmin or mio

Post by Bolex »

Hi only been cycling a year and have been looking at getting a bike Sat nav undecided whether to get a second-hand Garmin edge 820 or mio505 .the mio brand seem a lot cheaper only want to spend about 100 pound thought about the older Garmin edge 800 or 810 unsure though if I have to pay for updates like car Sat nav though? Or even if older Garmin cannot be updated like older car satnavs??and so are then junk .Any one out there either had a mio or Garmin im currently just using a basic cateye magnet computer which is fine for recording time distance etc but would like a navigation aid to go on longer not local journeys cheers.
cycleruk

Re: Garmin or mio

Post by cycleruk »

I have a Garmin 810 which I have had about 3 years now. I use "Openstreet" maps which are free to download. So any time they can be updated for free but I have not bothered yet.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/dow ... 00810.html

No idea about Mio's mapping but a quick look at DCRainmakers website gives this review which is quite impressive.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/mio ... ntrol.html

DC Rainmaker also has reviews of a lot of Sat-navs so may be worth a search.

One difference I note is that Garmin can accommodate an SD memory card which the Mio appears not too. Whether that is a problem I wouldn't know. The Mio though looks to have a link to mobile phone that can be used as extra storage ?

Basically you need to list you wants from a Sat-nav and work from that. My other thought would be Garmin do have a back-up /repair service which I don't know about with Mio. Others will come in giving alternative makes such as Lezyne, Wahoo, etc.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Check out Lezyne computers too.
They are quite good and keenly priced compared to the competition. As well as the breadcrumb line you can pair with a smartphone and follow directions for a a-b route, or for a pre-planned route. Although you don't get the map display I find I don't need it.

A lot depends on what you want of course
martinn

Post by martinn »

Hi I had a MIO 305, there are good points and bad points.

It depends on what exactly you want to use it primarily for
Mapping, creating maps, following predetermined maps, or training data

The MIO does well on presenting the maps, and giving data, but if you went off map even for a moment it would try to re-plan.
The battery life was not great, would barely see me round a 200km audax without recharging, and used to loose signal quite regularly as well.

I now use a Wahoo Elemnt training data is very good. easy to follow maps, and great battery life. What it wont do is re-plan when you have gone off course, not a bad thing sometimes, and you cannot re-plan from the unit mid ride.

Never had a Garmin so cant comment on them

There are a large number of devices out there with different strengths and weaknesses
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Been using my smart phone(s) for the past 4 years or so. Works fine. External bettery needed for rides of more than 4 hours.