Single Pannier on the left or the right ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
brynpoeth

Re: Single Pannier on the left or the right ?

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Nov 2018, 12:05pm

hondated wrote:
drossall wrote:You may be looking at it the wrong way. We already know that hondated won't notice a pannier falling off the right side, so it makes sense to try the other, surely?

You've got it drossal. Still amazed that I didnt hear it come off. Just thankful I didnt drop my wallet into it as I nearly did.

You could attach a baby's rattle to it, that would make a loud noise if it fell off
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

hondated

Postby hondated » 27 Nov 2018, 12:42pm

brynpoeth wrote:
hondated wrote:
drossall wrote:You may be looking at it the wrong way. We already know that hondated won't notice a pannier falling off the right side, so it makes sense to try the other, surely?

You've got it drossal. Still amazed that I didnt hear it come off. Just thankful I didnt drop my wallet into it as I nearly did.

You could attach a baby's rattle to it, that would make a loud noise if it fell off

:lol: :lol: :lol:

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Feb 2019, 5:06am

Just read a thread on here about a failing seatstay
Brucey writes that using only one pannier could unevenly load the frame and cause such damage
Is this where the fun stops? :?
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

pwa

Postby pwa » 7 Feb 2019, 7:50am

brynpoeth wrote:Just read a thread on here about a failing seatstay
Brucey writes that using only one pannier could unevenly load the frame and cause such damage

Been doing it for decades with no issues, so I'll take the risk.

gaz

Postby gaz » 7 Feb 2019, 7:59am

brynpoeth wrote:Is this where the fun stops? :?

I regularly ride with one pannier on the grounds of practicality. Are there really people who do it for fun? :wink:

mjr

Postby mjr » 7 Feb 2019, 11:45am

I'm struggling to think how that would be unless the rack has come unbolted from one stay and there are no brake or stand bridges between stays, but my physics isn't great.

I flip between the comfort of a saddlebag and the faster attach/detach of a single pannier, especially in recent subzero. Pannier goes on the right, to protect the toggle chain in a fall.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 7 Feb 2019, 12:22pm

Boogaloo wrote:I ... am wondering if there is any convincing argument for me to change?

No there isn't. HTH.

geomannie

Postby geomannie » 7 Feb 2019, 12:27pm

Its actually a fallacy that cyclists can use only one pannier. If you were to try, you'd unbalance the bike so much that you would fall off. :D

(or so some non-cyclists seem to think judging by the questions I have been asked for being asymmetrically laden)
geomannie

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 7 Feb 2019, 5:08pm

geomannie wrote:Its actually a fallacy that cyclists can use only one pannier. If you were to try, you'd unbalance the bike so much that you would fall off. :D

(or so some non-cyclists seem to think judging by the questions I have been asked for being asymmetrically laden)

Tell them you work for the MoD and the other one is new invisibility tech you're trialling. :D

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 7 Feb 2019, 5:19pm

that's the thing 'could', one instance of a thing happening every few million examples is not evidence of anything and with no evidence to prove it was because of xx/yy even less than the sum of nothing. Some people seem to be a bit of a jonah as they always seem to be around/experience a breakage/failing of bike/parts that match up to the forum discussion, it's a very strange anomaly, I'd probably move bikes shops (possibly even house) to avoid bumping into that person or be within a 50 mile radius of their geographic locations, don't want my carbon seat/chain stays to snap because I'm a single pannierist :lol: :lol:

Shouldn't if you want balance put the pannier on the left to offset the chainset and derailleurs? I've always gone right side so it sticks out into traffic, a full loaded bag that sticks out gains me at least an extra 6" of overtaking room by motors, noticeably closer passes when the bags virtually empty :lol:

freiston

Postby freiston » 7 Feb 2019, 6:06pm

geomannie wrote:Its actually a fallacy that cyclists can use only one pannier. If you were to try, you'd unbalance the bike so much that you would fall off. :D

In my experience, some cyclists too :shock:
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 7 Feb 2019, 7:17pm

Agreed. For what you would normally put in a pannier it makes little difference, even heavy shopping. But if I were travelling longer distances with heavy loads I think it might be better to even the weight with a pannier on each side.

The utility cyclist wrote:I've always gone right side so it sticks out into traffic, a full loaded bag that sticks out gains me at least an extra 6" of overtaking room by motors, noticeably closer passes when the bags virtually empty :lol:
My reasoning too.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 7 Feb 2019, 8:26pm

The utility cyclist wrote:I've always gone right side so it sticks out into traffic, a full loaded bag that sticks out gains me at least an extra 6" of overtaking room by motors, noticeably closer passes when the bags virtually empty :lol:

Not quite sure how you work that out - aren't you wider than the panniers? Yes there might be six inches wider than your bike but you are the widest bit unless you have huge bags.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 7 Feb 2019, 9:12pm

I'm not sure about that. You're wider than a pannier, obviously, but the pannier isn't on the centre line of the bike; pannier + half bike is wider than half you, often if not always. Though of course some riders are wider than others... as the Smiths might have sung.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 7 Feb 2019, 11:06pm

foxyrider wrote:

Not quite sure how you work that out - aren't you wider than the panniers? Yes there might be six inches wider than your bike but you are the widest bit unless you have huge bags.

The laughing emoticon should be the giveaway regards to the noticeable difference, however the bag does stick out further than my legs at the rear (my quads are only a couple of inches smaller than Chris Hoys at his peak so not small) and even when on my 56cm flat bar the bag will stick out wider than my shoulders and I'm not small in that area either. Fully packed out the bag will extend about 13.5" from the centre line of the tyre so somewhere about a 66cm bar width, I'd maybe ride that wide on a downhill bike but not on a bag carrying bike.

It may or may not make a difference but I'd rather the bag stick out on the offside as an obstacle to get around. When I transported my grandsons bike on the pannier recently and it was sticking out a bit - probably no more than a few inches more than the fully loaded pannier, drivers gave me an inordinately wide berth compared to usual, ALL of them, maybe it was the odd shape, maybe I just got a bunch od 'competent drivers (unlikely) but something sticking out that side than not is the way I see it.
And even with 10kg in the one bag a few times (went shopping from work and rammed it) I didn't notice any balance issues.
But whatever folk want to go with for themselves, there's no right or wrong is there, it's just a bag, one, two, left/right, top bag ... if it works for you then it's all good.