panniers for shopping

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Re: panniers for shopping

Post by The utility cyclist »

slowster wrote:One shortcoming I've found with all the panniers I've used so far, is that they are not wide enough for large items like flans that need to be kept horizontal.

8.5" flan dish in the Bike Hut
Attachments
flan.JPG
slowster

Post by slowster »

andrew_s wrote:An incentive to practice your cookery :)

You are absolutely right, and in general I steer away from processed foods, ready meals and anything containing palm oil or with lists of ingredients that sound like chemicals rather than food. I don't usually cook or prepare desserts, but I usually cannot resist the (expensive) good quality, fancy desserts when they are heavily marked down.

The utility cyclist wrote:8.5" flan dish in the Bike Hut

That certainly would not fit in my Front Rollers. Some of the French style tartes in the supermarkets are a bit larger, maybe 10" or 12" square, but I suspect that such a size might fit at the top of your Bike Hut pannier, even if it had to be tilted a little bit (and it needs to go on the top anyway, to stop it getting squashed).

However, my supermarket runs are off-road, and the panniers get splashed with mud. I bought the Front Rollers because the shiny PVC is easy to wipe clean, and so I think for my own particular needs I will probably stick with Ortlieb. I was thinking about getting some Bike Packers for their greater carrying capacity than the Front Rollers, but in the light of all the comments above about how the Back Rollers are more amenable to being overfilled, I'll probably end up getting those.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Does anyone else feel like the flan dish is following them around the room? :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nez

Post by nez »

It's off topic. I follow a low carb diet
nez

Post by nez »

I was thinking about getting some Bike Packers for their greater carrying capacity than the Front Rollers, but in the light of all the comments above about how the Back Rollers are more amenable to being overfilled, I'll probably end up getting those.

me too. Bike24 have pairs specially made for them by Ortlieb for about 84 euros.
slowster

Post by slowster »

nez dans le guidon wrote:
I was thinking about getting some Bike Packers for their greater carrying capacity than the Front Rollers, but in the light of all the comments above about how the Back Rollers are more amenable to being overfilled, I'll probably end up getting those.

me too. Bike24 have pairs specially made for them by Ortlieb for about 84 euros.

Make sure of what you order. I have had a quick look at their website and the 85 Euro panniers are mostly Sport Rollers, which is the latest name for the (smaller) Front Roller panniers. Another thing to beware is that there are various limited edition Back Rollers which are around €60-€80+, but they are only single panniers, not a pair.

If you mean these https://www.bike24.com/p215042.html?q=ortlieb, which are 90 Euros, I suspect the total price including currency exchange fee plus postage may not be much better than Spa's price (£97 and free postage). Note that those Bike24 ones have the QuickLink1 fastening, rather than the QuickLink2.1 fastening, in case you prefer one or the other type.
nez

Post by nez »

slowster wrote:
nez dans le guidon wrote:

Make sure of what you order. I have had a quick look at their website and the 85 Euro panniers are mostly Sport Rollers, which is the latest name for the (smaller) Front Roller panniers. Another thing to beware is that there are various limited edition Back Rollers which are around €60-€80+, but they are only single panniers, not a pair.

If you mean these https://www.bike24.com/p215042.html?q=ortlieb, which are 90 Euros, I suspect the total price including currency exchange fee plus postage may not be much better than Spa's price (£97 and free postage). Note that those Bike24 ones have the QuickLink1 fastening, rather than the QuickLink2.1 fastening, in case you prefer one or the other type.

Thanks. Good point. I may end up in the LBS, just to be sure. He's done things for me over the past couple of years that make him worth the premium.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ql 2.1 is much preferred in my view. Anything before is likely, at least in time, to suffer from the dreaded insert loss. I spent £20 to update my bikepacker pluses to 2.1. got sick of losing inserts and panniers detaching when touring. Even with a load of stuff on top of them. No issues since.
Sweep
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I'll tell you what I've done - I'm not making recommendation, because you'd only laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've bought a pair of Wilkinsons panniers - dead cheap and a bit nasty - but only £15 :shock: . They're fitted permanently to my rack - they preclude fitting of a rackpack but all's well with my 20+ years old Carradice saddlebag. They're fitted to the bike I use for local bad weather and almost daily shopping - I do the occasional 'ride' with the panniers empty and the space is always available for un-planned shopping. Each pannier is about 280mm wide at the top tapering to about 250mm at the bottom X 250mm high X about 100mm deep. There is a side pocket on each side, about 50mm deep X 170mm high and about 170mm long. Both compartments and both side pockets have zip closures. The fabric is all a bit stiff to start with, but waterproof so far.

As for flan carrying...................never tried that - a specific design would be needed for that.

Don't be comparing with Carradice's superb and hard-wearing qualities, and don't be looking for the biggest capacity, but for sheer everyday convenience and no worries about expensive damage - I'm finding these amazing :D :D :D :D :D ..................particularly for the price. They've seen me through two winters and now getting stuck into their third and no (apparent, anyway) defects.

Don't laugh at me though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My recommendation from experience for robust, long lasting quality and capacity for cycle camping would be Carradice Super 'C's.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

freiston wrote:I've just found these - £16.32 each:

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicyc ... igh-black/

At least these will let the rain-water out as well as in! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nez

Post by nez »

I rather fancied them except they’ll scratch the doors on the way through the house.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I rather fancied them except they’ll scratch the doors on the way through the house.

You'll have to widen the doors then :lol: :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I would put the 12" flan on my head and fasten it with a piece of ribbon
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I would put the 12" flan on my head and fasten it with a piece of ribbon

If it's a goats' cheese and caramalised red onion flan/quiche........................can you save me a piece please? :D :D :D