Durable MTB build

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thelawnet

Durable MTB build

Post by thelawnet »

Any suggestions for parts?

Context:

WhatsApp Image 2018-11-26 at 5.12.24 PM.jpeg

Snapped full sus frame (bought second hand, now around 13 years old). Fatigue & fracture I think due to pivot.

Obviously full sus is rubbish and that's a no-goer.

So now the challenge is a new build, priorities are low maintenance, comfort on very rocky trails (he's 63, 195cm tall and has a bit of a dodgy back) as well as some sort of on-road speed without being too expensive

I'm thinking something like

Shimano M756 hubs 29"x32h
24c rims (not sure which?)
2.35" MTB tyres run probably around 20 psi. Probably Schwalbe Racing Ray/Ralph
XT RD-M786-SGS rear derailleur (10-speed, clutch)
XT SL-M780 shifters
FD-M6000 front derailleur (don't believe there's any diference with XT?)
FC-T551 cranks (44/32/24) (not sure
11-36 10-speed cassette
10-speed KMC chain
Suntour Epixon 120mm 29"

pedals/seatpost existing
Brucey

Re: Durable MTB build

Post by Brucey »

I wouldn't dismiss full sus at all. I'd also think about suspension seat posts. Either could spare someone from having to ride on the road on soft 2.35" knobblies; not my idea of fun, that.

Seems weird that the one bit you have not listed is the one that is broken, i.e. the frame..... I'd be thinking about re-using the old bits on a new frame, not about buying a load of new bits....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Brucey wrote:I wouldn't dismiss full sus at all. I'd also think about suspension seat posts. Either could spare someone from having to ride on the road on soft 2.35" knobblies; not my idea of fun, that.

Seems weird that the one bit you have not listed is the one that is broken, i.e. the frame..... I'd be thinking about re-using the old bits on a new frame, not about buying a load of new bits....?

Frame is a bit problematic. Not many XL frames available here, and the chance of finding a 26" wheel frame in the right size is basically nil (also want to go 29").... Also wants to carry some sort of load (so a rack will be in order)

He doesn't cover too much distance on road. Would like to cover more, but e-mtb options too expensive atm.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I should just clarify that he likes wide tyres for grip/stability over slippery rocks, so suspension won't help with that.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

If he's willing to stick with 26" wheels, this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-alti ... :rk:1:pf:0 is an excellent bike - I'm biased as I have the Altitude 10 - this is the next model up. Steel frame and 9 speed, easy to maintain and will take a rear rack. The main changes I've made to mine are to replace the disk brakes with Avid BB7 cable disk brakes for easier maintenance. Mine has taken me across Scotland off-road and I can vouch for its comfort and suitability on rocky trails. Not exactly built for speed on road, but a tyre change might improve that though I'm not sure you can have all three of wide tyres, grip on rocky trails and speed on road.

The one linked to has been on ebay for a while so might be worth a punt.
Last edited by AMMoffat on 28 Nov 2018, 9:48am, edited 1 time in total.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

AMMoffat wrote:If he's willing to stick with 26" wheels, this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-alti ... :rk:1:pf:0 is an excellent bike - I'm biased as I have the Altitude 10 - this is the next model up. Steel frame and 9 speed, easy to maintain and will take a rear rack. The main changes I've made to mine are to replace the disk brakes with Avid BB7 cable disk brakes for easier maintenance. Mine has taken me across Scotland off-road and I can vouch for its comfort and suitability on rocky trails. Not exactly built for speed on road, but a tyre change might improve that.

The one linked to has been on ebay for a while so might be worth a punt.

I should clarify we are in Indonesia so there really aren't too many options for frame.

Probably going with this frame (frame only).

amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Looks like it might be an older Ellsworth from the (limited) pic?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thelawnet wrote:So now the challenge is a new build, priorities are low maintenance, comfort on very rocky trails (he's 63, 195cm tall and has a bit of a dodgy back)...

'Fraid that 'low maintenance' and '10-speed' are not mutually compatible for me :lol: Also, with my 'dodgy back', I find a less bent over position to be more comfortable, and full-sus allows a much more upright seated position without the big vertical accelerations via the saddle when seated. Moving to 29er should help though.
"42"
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

have you investigated getting the old frame weld repaired?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Brucey wrote:have you investigated getting the old frame weld repaired?

Not keen to get an alloy frame welded. Probably the parts from the old frame will get moved to a second-hand 'medium' 26" frame for the wife.

Actually I was looking at e-bike options.

I think this is not as good a system as the Shimano: http://www.ebikejakarta.com/shopping/pr ... ucts_id=89

Apparently it has a cadence sensor, not a torque sensor, which is not ideal really.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I think this is not as good a system as the Shimano: http://www.ebikejakarta.com/shopping/pr ... &products_.[/quote]
Rather heavy at 7 kg and doesn't include the battery. £350+.
The polygon 29er in your pic looks ok. I've had a couple of polygon steel hardtails over the years and they were durable and handled well. How much is the frame only out of interest?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

nick12 wrote:The polygon 29er in your pic looks ok. I've had a couple of polygon steel hardtails over the years and they were durable and handled well. How much is the frame only out of interest?

£100 for the frame. Around £225 as a complete bike with 3x9-speed Acera/Altus/hydro brakes/wheels/XCM fork. Only issue with the latter is there's not particularly anything worth salvaging out of the components (the Ezfire shifter/brake lever units are particularly clunky looking things)
nick12

Post by nick12 »

A good price for the complete bike why not just get the complete bike and upgrade when the parts need replacing.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

old school Trek Carbon frame as a starting point already with XT running gear https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Trek-98 ... SwkXFb7Ele
Or a new Giant carbon, both great starting points for a durable lightweight build https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-XTC-Ca ... SwXbFb0c2N

I use a 2009 Specialized Sirrus Carbon that was built using their FACT 9M modulus, exactly the same as their Stumpjumper S-Works which is hard as nails, the Sirrus can take a 50mm front and 55mm rear so not quite wide enough for your needs, if you can find a Spesh MTB carbon frame in the size you want and price it might be worth a punt.

There are some decent R853 MTB framesets still about too, have also seen a very tidy Tange steel frame on ebay.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Well the bike got welded with a bit of old seat post.

We also went to look at bikes.

They had this one in XL

A bit over £600.

Compared to this one a bit over £200.

TBH the extra money does not seem well spent.

There are Boost through axles on the more expensive bike. I think through axles are nice, but Boost is a bit silly.

The fork is a Rockshox Recon RL air fork on the more expensive bike vs a Suntour XCM coil. But the Recon is already cut to size, and Recon is not all that - we can get a Suntour Epixon, a clearly better fork (minus the Rockshox tax) for around £125, and not have it pre-cut. The 'Entity XL2' wheelset on the more expensive bike is rebadged Mavic I think, and looks nicer than the generic 'double wall rims', but it seems to be even better to pick your own wheelset/rim&hub with your preferred rim size.

There was an 'upgrade' to SLX shifters on the expensive bike, whereas slightly cheaper ones in the range have Deore. This is a completely pointless upgrade. Also the more expensive bike has second-rate Tough Tom tyres rather than a higher-quality Evo set, whereas the second bike just has cheap & nasty both tyres. So no real advantage there eithers.

The frames have essentially the identical geometry made from I think the same alloy, but the expensive frame seems to be thinner in various places (including 26.4mm seat post rather than 32.8mm). Whether this is really better is open to question. Also the expensive frame lacks rack braze-ons, while the cheap one had them. But the expensive frame, despite 1x nonsense, had front derailleur mount point, whereas the cheaper one is stuck with band type

From what I can see people are asking less than £100 for the cheap frame alone and over £300 for the more expensive frame. In practice I doubt you could tell the difference in riding.

So will get the cheap frame and build it up. Including with a rack.