Best method for daily transportation of bike by car, and storage of bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CycleCool

Best method for daily transportation of bike by car, and storage of bike

Post by CycleCool »

Hello good people

Trying to keep this short. Basically I want to start going on rides from work, but can't store my bike at work, which means having to transport it daily by car and probably storing the bike in or with the car during work.

I know it's going to depend on the size of the bike and the size of the car, so let's say medium and executive saloon. Let's also say the back seats don't fold down and one of the back seats has an infant car seat attached.

What are the chances an average bike is going to fit inside the car, probably along the back seats, probably with the front wheel removed?

Are there any other options I might consider? External racks don't seem secure enough for daily storage, although the car would be in a multi story car park with CCTV.

Thanks

CC
thirdcrank

Re: Best method for daily transportation of bike by car, and storage of bike

Post by thirdcrank »

Welcome to the forum.

You don't say what sort of rides you intend doing from work so I'll assume they will be fairly short. Some sort of folder would fit in a car and be suitable for most short rides.
CycleCool

Post by CycleCool »

thirdcrank wrote:Welcome to the forum.

You don't say what sort of rides you intend doing from work so I'll assume they will be fairly short. Some sort of folder would fit in a car and be suitable for most short rides.

I'm new to cycling and looking for it to replace the gym (which I'm bored with) and running (where I'm struggling with injuries) for general fitness and sport.

The only available time I have is either during lunch breaks or by getting to work early, missing the traffic and going out before work. The route at work would be about 50 minutes on roads, cycle paths and the odd bit of gravel.

After a while I might consider commuting (this would be a hilly 20km each way so don't want to commit to that yet), and I know if I get into it I'll be pushing myself to go further and faster, so want a bike that's quick and versatile.

I've been looking at cyclocross, hybrids and tourers, that sort of thing.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a road (or CX type) bike will have QR wheels and should fit in the boot of a decent sized car fairly easily, with either one or both wheels out of the frame. SKS race blade mudguards are QD and will provide some protection. It will take one or two minutes to reinstate the wheels in the bike. (You may also need to remove the seat pin)

Unfortunately modern cars often have dismal boots; you would be surprised (or not) at how many you can't even fit a set of golf clubs into. Often (like the one above) the boot trim is a weird shape; look behind that trim and you would be forgiven for thinking that the designers 'had some bits left over' and just wadged them in those spaces like an afterthought.

Alternatively there are quite a few folding bikes that could work for you. Unfortunately mostly they have small wheels and this makes them either less good as bikes or at the very least 'different' to ride; this is important for some folk, less so for others. You may have another use for a bike like a Brompton, which may sway you in that direction.

One option worth looking at (if you want something close to a proper bike but you can't manage a road bike with the wheels out in your boot) is a Montague; this folds to a small enough size for most (even quite small) car boots with the frame folded and the front wheel out (which is very easy). They have a good choice of models with large wheels that ride a lot like normal bikes once they are unfolded.

Another option is to look at a Moulton; these are usually 'separable' so can be stowed in a car boot in two large pieces. However this process isn't (for models with lots of cables especially) really much quicker than taking the wheels out of a road bike, and again the bike itself is a bit marmite; some folk love them, others don't.

BTW having the bike out of view is a good idea; it isn't unknown for nice bikes to be stolen out of the back of cars. Unfortunately if you do the same thing every day a non-opportunist type thief may get wind of it and decide to try and pinch your bike out of the back of your car.

Of the options above I would probably recommend a road/CX type bike if you can manage it in your car, simply because if you get keen, this kind of bike may allow participation in a wider range of cycling activities.

FWIW I used to have the choice of a 35min car journey or a 50minute bike commute; provided you can clean up and store your bike safely at work etc the latter is a very much more efficient use of your time.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 30 Nov 2018, 10:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gaz

Post by gaz »

CycleCool wrote:What are the chances an average bike is going to fit inside the car, probably along the back seats, probably with the front wheel removed?

Above, I recently discovered, fits in the back of a Nissan Juke with rear seats folded and front passenger seat pushed forward - both wheels in.

It fits better with the front wheel out :wink:

That said hoiking it in and out of any car is a pain at best, especially single handed. Day after day the novelty would soon wear off.

I'd also be worried about security, day after day in a public car park, especially if the bike itself was attractive to thieves.

TC's folder idea seems more practical to me, IIRC (which I might not) a Dahon Speed 7 fits in the boot area. Even then a DS7's a fair weight, I still doubt that I'd want to do it every day.

CycleCool wrote:Are there any other options I might consider?

Could you put a bike in the back, drive part of the way to work, park up and ride the rest? Two rides a day plus lunchtime ride if you want it, plus a chance to vary distance and routes too.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Most hatchback type cars (Golf, Punto) will fit one or two bikes in the back with the rear seats folded down.

As for storing your bike at work, why can't you? Most places have some possibility, or someplace nearby.

Or you can keep your car at work, and ride your bike, then keep your bike in the car when you get there. :wink:

I've been known to take a bike inside and keep it in an office, though I did get told off for that once or twice, as well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Fromm your post, the bike needs to go fully into the boot, and this is best for security I would think in your case.

Thought of a Brompton? Mine will go into the boot of the family hack(Skoda Rapid) and - just about - into the boot of an MX5 NC if you have the telescopic seatpost (removable saddle!).

I've also fitted mine under tables in coffe bars and tea shops, and the luggage space on trains, and of course it can go under your desk at work! But the Brommie isn't as nice to ride as my tourer.

One thing to consider - you might be able to fit a bike into the boot by removing the wheels - but maybe not if the bike has mudguards. And if you are nipping out for a quick spin at lunchtime you don't really want to spend time cleaning up/changing clothes, so you do need the mudguards. Imagine riding through some stuff on the road and getting it over your clothes ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
robgul

Post by robgul »

I was going to suggest either a Montague folder (although they are a bit on the heavy side) OR there's a Bickerton with larger wheels that folds well enough to fit almost all car-boots ... the Docklands 1824 Country 26 wheel - and rides like a conventional bike.

http://www.bickertonportables.co.uk/bik ... 4-country/

Shameless plug: I run an LBS owned by the UK distributor for Bickerton & Montague - Montagues are in "low stock" at the moment but I do have an ex-demo (it's immaculate) large wheel Bickerton in stock at a bargain price (and I'll beat any price you find!). If that's any interest PM me (we are in Warwickshire)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Lets not get complicated for some one staring.
Blanket on back seat, front wheel out, bike on seat will probably work . Done.
Ok it can be seen but thats another issue. So can other things,
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Is theft going to be an issue in a multi storey car park? Everyone I’ve been in are so tight you’d never get the doors open wide enough to get the bike out :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I used to drive to the local ark n ride and cycle the rest of the way by folding bike.....not a nice ride thru town. I now cycle across country, park my bike up securely and use the bus for the rest of the commute. Either way worked but the later suits me more.
Folding bikes are ok but full sized bikes are best.....your call really.
Cycling at dinner didn't work for me.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Folder?
Estate Car with split folding seats? It's how I carried bikes for years with a car seat on the one seat and could fit a bike alongside.
Park and ride? To be honest you will probably be cycling in the region of 20k in 50 mins.... so would it not just be easier to commute?
Due to shifts have done a mix of full commute and park and ride over the years. Certainly at the end of a shift and a ride to the parking spot the thought of messing around removing wheels etc., was not an attractive idea... but a vehicle I could throw the bike into was.

Make sure you have some old; towels, curtains, blankets one to put on the base you are putting the bike on and one to cover the bike.... this does at least help to cover it and protect it and any other bits you put in with the bike (shopping, cycle clothing/ discarded cycle jacket etc.)
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Today's unhelpful comment: just get old and retire. :D
John
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Have a look at Airnimal folders - the Chameleon rides like a full-size road bike but fits easily in a boot, while the Joey isn’t as fast but isba bit more robust. Not cheap new but they do come up on eBay and Gumtree.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Couple of photographs by way of illustration of what can fit.
One, with my Moulton in two halves in the back of a Yaris with the rear seats up as normal.
The other, is my Mercian with the front wheel off, in the back of a Fiat500 with the rear seats folded.
IMG_0575.jpg
Mercian500-1.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall