Damaged cycling clothing, do you throw or repair?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Patrickpioneer

Re: Damaged cycling clothing, do you throw or repair?

Post by Patrickpioneer »

eileithyia wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:I always repair first and then eventually they become rags for cleaning things but I was brought up on a keep and repair it culture from my Mam who used to have loads of people come to her to turn collars, cuffs, cut bed sheets in the middle and then sew the unworn sides back together, patches on elbows and hems. the list is endless and really its a skill thats being forgotten and thats a shame.
Pat

I always check to see if i can repair first and foremost, having been brought up in a household / family of sowers and knitters.... though mum didn't do stuff for other people or turn sheets...... lol One of the first things I did as a Brownie challenge was sew on a button... and my Grandmother was teaching me to knit at 5.

Its nice to remember these things isn't it, never learnt to knit but I could do cork work as a young boyo.
take care
Pat
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

horizon wrote:While I'm not saying that that is something you need to be concerned with, I'm just saying that things are connected in many ways and that is why I was surprised at the shortness of your "in the bin" comment.

This is exactly why I said "in the bin" and later "I don't give it a second thought after it leaves my premises".You are over thinking it.I'm not.My comment was short because once it's in the bin it's no concern of mine.
I pay various taxes which go on to pay other people to make those decisions :roll:
So we've basically got back to my original comment."Bin it".Then let someone else take care of what happens next.
Recycling is really just a big con anyway.Totally pointless as half the World doesn't bother.All it does is make those who do it feel a bit better about themselves and even a bit smug in some cases :|
horizon

Post by horizon »

100%JR wrote:I pay various taxes which go on to pay other people to make those decisions

I so wish you did. I think it's outrageous that we have to think these things through on behalf of manufacturers, councils and governments who don't make these decisions and, for the most part, really don't care.

It would be great if we didn't have to "over-think" it: the garment is taxed appropriately (so you just have to make a quick price comparison), you pay the right price for your non-recycled waste removal and the recycling is in place to deal with most waste. And enforcement is in place to make sure it all happens. Simple. We're part of the way there but if government doesn't do its bit, we as individuals then have to make our own moral decisions - some will, some won't. I don't think we should have to do that - there should never be a conflict between our own self-interest and doing what is right for the community.

In that sense, we agree.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
hamster

Post by hamster »

LinusR wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:duct tape on inside of water proof jacket and been through washing machine several times the tape is still stuck :)

That's the best tip I've ever read on this forum!

Better than that, use spinnaker repair tape. If you sew the edges it will never come unstuck. Also fixes tents and down jackets.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think the “you “in the OP question, is relevant.
The first thing my mother taught me how to sew a button on them knitting.
Like others here I attempt to repair first, my lack of money means I repair most things because I can.
It’s obvious from these posts that some of us are throwaway people.

I have a mate like others I Have met who only ever buy new even if I was to offer Something very Obviously Unmarked And unused.

I had two sets of work trousers I was using that needed turning up I took them to a High Street so on repair shop I ended up paying £12 each pair there only cost 8 pounds each, after that I wish I’ve repaired myself, would’ve taken me about 15 minutes each pair.

(Typed by voice)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I have a hole in one of my short sleeved jerseys from a spill whence I was forced out onto the accumulated gravel by a merc trying to undertake me on a roundabout. That was over a decade ago, I haven't bothered repairing it though it's only an inch across and on the shoulder.
My old washing machine had a habit of chewing holes in jerseys, one thin 3/4 sleeve thing and a cheapo summer jersey, neither have been repaired but I still wear them.
so in answer to the original question, neither :lol:

Edit: Forgot about a pair of longs from LIDL purchased over a decade ago, a 3-4" long hole appeared, I stitched it and it's been fine for the last 5 or more years.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am assuming that your lycra goes into a mesh bag before the machine...
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

If anyone is considering discarding old kit because of a small amount of damage, you consider donating to African cycling charities... I do have an address if anyone is interested.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Canuk wrote:A tip for broken or ratty zips on winter or training tights. You only really need a small opening to get your foot through.

I'll tell that to my mate with size 16s . :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I am assuming that your lycra goes into a mesh bag before the machine...

Nope, two holes over a few years and a washing machine I no longer have so really no need to change anything. In fact it did do it to a few t-shirts as well but the fact it happened and you've still got the holes makes it stick in the memory, it's not really a big deal.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re invisible mending, I've just noticed this picture of an invisible mender's in central Leeds taken in 1969. Towards the end of the Swinging Sixties and already half a century ago.
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL