Oxford bike locks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jollytiddlywink

Oxford bike locks

Post by jollytiddlywink »

Hello!
I have ended up with two Oxford D-locks (http://www.oxfordproducts.com/bicycle/b ... h_bracket/) and am wondering if they are any good. I previously had a Kryptonite D-lock with a steel cable and a Master D-lock, which were sturdy and which I was happy with. The lock mechanism on the Oxfords looks a bit weak by comparison, and the reviews I can find have not exactly put my mind at ease.

Does anyone here have experience of Oxford locks--was it positive or not?
robgul

Re: Oxford bike locks

Post by robgul »

A bit sweeping I admit but as someone running an LBS I have found most of the Oxford products to be at the lower/mass market end of the scale on quality.

Kryptonite stuff is a bit pricey but has a good reputation - it's the only brand of lock that I stock.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

From the appearance it looks like the type that has a bend in one side of the d to hook into the lock bar. If so it is a much worse locking mechanism than the type which locks both ends of the d. There's probably some variation in security within that type but i think they are junk in general.
PH

Post by PH »

That twelve quid lock is likely to be as good as any other twelve quid lock, just as their fifty quid one has the same Sold Secure Gold rating as most other fifty quid ones.
I have an Oxford chain lock that I leave at a workplace, it was a bit cheaper than some others with a similar level of protection, it's also a bit heavier and those two factors might not be coincidence.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Oxford make a range of d- locks from the cheap and cheerful to gold standard. Looks like you have the budget ones there.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mjr

Post by mjr »

alexnharvey wrote:From the appearance it looks like the type that has a bend in one side of the d to hook into the lock bar. If so it is a much worse locking mechanism than the type which locks both ends of the d. There's probably some variation in security within that type but i think they are junk in general.

Where are you seeing that?

It's not awful but it's not great: I'd prefer the lock to be in the middle of the bar, not on an easier-to-attack end and probably an i or waffle key. If there's a solid metal locking bar under that plastic, I'd probably hide the logos and use it on cheaper bikes, as long as your insurance permits it.

robgul wrote:Kryptonite stuff is a bit pricey but has a good reputation - it's the only brand of lock that I stock.

Really? I thought their marketing is great but their reputation is poor because of how badly they handled the biro-unlock debacle and the persistent accusations about their unrealistic "protection offer" which only covers one bike, registered in advance, and you have to send them a picture of the broken lock to claim anything - so if the thief takes the lock or slings it in the bushes, you get nothing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I am guessing from the overall form, can't finda picture that sl sheds any light. Maybe the OP can oblige witha picture of the opened lock.