Cateye Mounts All Interchangeable ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

Cateye Mounts All Interchangeable ?

Post by Witterings »

Does anyone know if all Cateye mounts are interchangeable

My mudguard needs to be half way up my seat post to get it in the right position which when having a saddle bag hang down as well doesn't leave any room for a rear light, I was looking at one of these

https://www.evanscycles.com/cateye-out- ... t-EV216011

and wondering if I could mount it to the seat post and put my rear light on it (if it'd fit) so that it goes out to the side of the mudguard and could be seen.
mjr

Re: Cateye Mounts All Interchangeable ?

Post by mjr »

Witterings wrote:Does anyone know if all Cateye mounts are interchangeable

I don't think so, but that's because I've seen at least three varieties of front light mount. I only remember seeing one rear mount shape, which looks similar to that one, but I think the only way you'll know for sure is to take your rear light into a shop.

Witterings wrote:My mudguard needs to be half way up my seat post to get it in the right position which when having a saddle bag hang down as well doesn't leave any room for a rear light, [...]

Put the rear light on your right seat stay if you don't have a rear rack mount. Seatpost mounts are the devil's underpants.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

mjr wrote:
Witterings wrote:Put the rear light on your right seat stay if you don't have a rear rack mount. Seatpost mounts are the devil's underpants.

This is certainly the other option I have available with the current mount I have for the light but thought it'd probably be more visible if it's that bit higher up.
gaz

Post by gaz »

No, there are a variety of fitting, even for rear lights.

The front light extension bracket you have linked will twist a rear light from a horizontal alignment to a vertical one. That may have implications for being seen from the side.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

gaz wrote:

No, there are a variety of fitting, even for rear lights.

The front light extension bracket you have linked will twist a rear light from a horizontal alignment to a vertical one. That may have implications for being seen from the side.

I had been through about cateye's website and about 4 different retailers sites to find the one I linked to as none of the "standard" mounts will move it to the side at all to get it out of the way of the mudguard.

The standard light bracket you can put the light in either horizontally or vertically so wouldn't the others - if they do fit - be the same and it probably wouldn't bother me being vertical as if the alternative is on the seat stay it'd have to be vertical on there to avoid the wheel hitting it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

When a particular bracket is designed to be mounted so that the fitting part can be at either one of two different orientations, it allows the bracket to be attached to either of a horizontally or vertically aligned piece of tubing with the light mounted correctly.

The light itself will have fitting instructions to show whether it is intended to be in either a horizontal or vertical alignment or indeed if it can be used in either.