...What this is? (Motobecane)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: ...What this is? (Motobecane)

Post by Brucey »

simonhill wrote: ....The sound of the Mobylette used to be one of the sounds of France....

in the early 1980s I spent a few weeks in SE France and in the towns in that area the fashion for the local yoof was to have a souped up 'Moby'. Obviously a piston ported two stroke is highly susceptible to tuning and there were the inevitable big bore kits, big carb kits, racing expansion chamber exhausts, you name it. Also any number of chrome plated shiny doohdads could be bought.

Another fashion was the way they were ridden by the youngsters thereabouts; it was common for the feet to be rested on the step-through itself, knees together. This (I presume) led to another fashion which was to have a different saddle, set higher than usual, and once you had done this, you couldn't reach the ground any more from the saddle. This obviously wasn't any great deterrent from making the saddle even higher, by jacking up the suspension at both ends.

This is a Peugeot, but it is in a similar vein, sans the extra-elevated saddle

These machines were unbelievably noisy and more than slightly ridiculous-looking. Didn't stop the local yoof (despite the fact that they had to scrunge themselves into a small ball, several feet off the ground, for aerodynamic reasons) from riding the wheels off the things though.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

^^ added to the way it was ridden was that it must never be ridden on a constant throttle setting. It must be screamed for 5 seconds, shut off for 5, screamed for another 5 and so on. This was still the case until about 5 years ago when I noticed that this fashion seems to have changed for modern youth.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Only just seen this thread so sorry for the resurrection!

Solex are totally wonderful - the people who ride them are bonkers (we have a club come and stay with us every year) and they are a hoot to ride. A bit like those front-wheel-drive electric bikes but a lot noisier, faster and with little in the way of brakes. You can get them over here in Brittany for around 500€ for one ready to go or a lot less for a rebuild. Very, very tempted myself!
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

bretonbikes wrote:Only just seen this thread so sorry for the resurrection!

Solex are totally wonderful - the people who ride them are bonkers (we have a club come and stay with us every year) and they are a hoot to ride. A bit like those front-wheel-drive electric bikes but a lot noisier, faster and with little in the way of brakes. You can get them over here in Brittany for around 500€ for one ready to go or a lot less for a rebuild. Very, very tempted myself!

Slow, noisy, polluting, a hoot to ride. Just love them. I bought one that was in need of work and was persuaded to let my daughters boyfriend have it. Big mistake as boyfriend now gone and so has bike :cry: We have a guy in the village who occasionally has them for sale but upwards of 500€! I take a look on Leboncoin from time to time and they do turn up so may get another.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

francovendee wrote:
bretonbikes wrote:Only just seen this thread so sorry for the resurrection!

Slow, noisy, polluting, a hoot to ride. Just love them. I bought one that was in need of work and was persuaded to let my daughters boyfriend have it. Big mistake as boyfriend now gone and so has bike :cry: We have a guy in the village who occasionally has them for sale but upwards of 500€! I take a look on Leboncoin from time to time and they do turn up so may get another.

There's a lesson to us all there...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
mjr

Post by mjr »

9494arnold wrote:I do believe the british equivalent (a bolt in motor to put on your bike that drove the tyre) was affectionately known as a stink wheel due to the smell of the tyre being a braided by the motor. Can't call the name to mind at present. BSA?
(Or am I thinking of a Winged Wheel here where the motor was in the hub? )

Raleigh did a few motorised bikes but I couldn't tell you the model names. I've seen one or two exhibited at the Fenman Classic on August Bank Holiday over the years.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Raleigh cyclemaster was the engine unit, fitted to various different bikes.

BSA had a similar contraption called the 'winged wheel'

unlike the cyclemaster the winged wheel had the fuel tank on the rear rack and I would presume that the brake in the winged wheel is large and effective.

BTW 'stinkwheel' can refer to anything with a 2-stroke engine.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

There was a cutaway drawing of the BSA Winged Wheel posted on the Autosport Forum just recently:

BSA-Winged-Wheel-Cutaway (Small).jpg
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

All very complicated (though wonderful) -- the beauty of the Solex was its simplicity...