What to pack when riding my first road bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: What to pack when riding my first road bike

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Google maps will do the same thing.

While also demanding that you let it tell Google your location... which then results in a stream of "How was (place you visited)?" notifications asking for reviews that my wife calls creepy.

You can change your locations settings just to share your location with another person, or until rescued.

Not any more, as far as I could tell. The Google Maps app now refuses to work fully until it gets full permissions.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mjr wrote:
ndwgolf wrote:Fix the pump to the bike or as I have seen on a few occasions people put the pump in there shirt pocket?
Neil

Bike. Never put anything harder than your spine in a jersey pocket IMO. Food, clothes and similar only.

BTW, if it's raining and I'm in or near a village, I find there's often a bus shelter or church litchgate around for making the repair in the dry.

Surely your would make an exception for a nice bottle of red wine or two cans of beer? Are you insane? That's what back pockets and water bottle cages were built for. Have you never watched a 1970s version of the Tour de France!?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Canuk wrote:Surely your would make an exception for a nice bottle of red wine or two cans of beer? Are you insane? That's what back pockets and water bottle cages were built for. Have you never watched a 1970s version of the Tour de France!?

Put 'em in the saddlebag or pannier. Can't get enough in pockets. (Posts I, just finishing a nice Nice Chouffe orange and thyme winter beer.)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mjr wrote:
Canuk wrote:Surely your would make an exception for a nice bottle of red wine or two cans of beer? Are you insane? That's what back pockets and water bottle cages were built for. Have you never watched a 1970s version of the Tour de France!?

Put 'em in the saddlebag or pannier. Can't get enough in pockets. (Posts I, just finishing a nice Nice Chouffe orange and thyme winter beer.)

You want to try the Leffe Noel... 2.44 euro of the finest infused seasonal beers wot money can buy :) I don't even know if panniers would suffice! :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:While also demanding that you let it tell Google your location... which then results in a stream of "How was (place you visited)?" notifications asking for reviews that my wife calls creepy.

You can change your locations settings just to share your location with another person, or until rescued.

Not any more, as far as I could tell. The Google Maps app now refuses to work fully until it gets full permissions.

I think that you have to allow it to use your device, then change the settings afterward. But I don't recall for certain.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:Not any more, as far as I could tell. The Google Maps app now refuses to work fully until it gets full permissions.

I think that you have to allow it to use your device, then change the settings afterward. But I don't recall for certain.

Tried that. The next time you open the Google Maps app, it displays a pop-up demanding more permission and refusing closes the app.

Let's start another topic about this if you want me to video it the next time I get my hands on that phone.
althebike

Post by althebike »

I usually carry a couple of allen keys,a pump and a £10 note . When I rode with inner tubes I also carried a spare inner tube and some tire levers.If I am on a multi day ride I would charge the Di2 before I left.When I did jogle this year I carried a Di2 charger but did not need it. For that ride I also included a credit card and spare clothing.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

As above a credit card and a £20 note are your best friends when disaster strikes. I got knocked off my bike, albeit at slow speed a few years back and picking the bike up I thought it (and me) were okay. Unfortunately neither was the case. The bottom bracket shell was cracked right through and I had a light concussion and two broken ribs.

When eventually the police came the driver had long since scarpered and my wife was on a 7hr transatlantic flight going in the wrong direction. I had to admit defeat and bung the whole lot in the back of a taxi after a visit to A&E.

I've heard tall tales of my grandad whittling a new rear drop out from a piece of oak he found at the side of the road and replacing the broken one for a 20 miles ride home. In the Highlands, in February. The reality was less romantic, it broke again after 500 yards and he had to walk the five hours over hill and Dale to the youth hostel, in the rain!

£20 saved my bacon on several occasions. Better, and a lot lighter than any fancy 30 part multi tool :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I believe this is the bike

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... c/p/25355/

It's a top-end road bike with no obvious luggage carrying provision, but with a 34x28 bottom gear. In an earlier thread the OP had been recommended to fit a 34T big sprocket
viewtopic.php?p=1270266#p1270266
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

flat tyre wrote:Here's what I take:
Foldable reading glasses
The most important piece of tool kit of all for some us will be a pair of reading glasses. If you don't carry these the rest of what you carry might be pointless. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I carry just one lens from a pair of snapped Pound shop reading glasses. Enough for me to read some thing small as my eyes can still cope with a GPS