Wheelbarrow inner tube 4/4.8 -8

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rjb

Wheelbarrow inner tube 4/4.8 -8

Post by rjb »

Daughter's wheelbarrow has had a visitation from the p* fairy. Can I use a 26" inner tube doubled around the rim as a temporary/ semi permanent fix. MTB inner tubes are readily available from Poundland. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Re: Wheelbarrow inner tube 4/4.8 -8

Post by Brucey »

yes, but it may burst immediately (it will be stretched in odd places) and even if it doesn't do that, it may burst in use; wheelbarrow tyres deflect quite a lot when you have a load on, and folds in inner tubes tend to chafe through.

ps you may get three turns around the rim this way, most likely with a wide 700C sized tube. If you can do this it would be best because in theory this could be done without any abrupt folds or twists in the tube. A 26" tube probably won't be long enough for this; the 8" refers to the bare rim (bead seat) diameter , so the mean turn diameter would be close to 12".

Note also that wheelbarrow inner tubes are made of thicker rubber than bicycle inner tubes, so all kinds of imperfections on the inside of the tyre/rim are better tolerated.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Usually 12 1/2" x 2 1/4" if I remember correctly.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Try "tyre shopper" give them a call or try "National tyres" again try a phone call
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

other options include

- a patch (cost = peanuts)

or

- a complete wheel (can be had with solid PU tyre that won't roll as easily but won't puncture either) cost ~ £10-15

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I used some sealant for a wheel barrow puncture recently and the repair was successful. It was a slowish puncture and I had a part can of sealant left from an experiment to rescue a tubular tyre that had a small thorn puncture.
Several months on it's still at a good pressure.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
You can get the tubes from a decent builders' merchant, although I'd try a foaming sealant to guard against future attacks
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Look on eBay, got a new tube for £3.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

rjb wrote:Daughter's wheelbarrow has had a visitation from the p* fairy. Can I use a 26" inner tube doubled around the rim as a temporary/ semi permanent fix. MTB inner tubes are readily available from Poundland. :wink:

Builders merchants, or decent hardware store (if you still have one). Both will have the proper tube, or one close-enough in size to do the job properly.

Temporary fix would be to stuff the tyre with grass or similar.
hamster

Post by hamster »

The grass fix is widely quoted and rarely tried!

Use a tyre reinflation foam (the sort that most cars seem to have instead of a spare wheel these days).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Loads of issues over the years with wheelbarrow tyres.
Some of mine have been tubeless, and I tried fitting a tube to them. Difficult to do and pinching them with a tyre lever is easy to do.
New wheels, and they eventually puncture too, and the sunshine UV light gets to the tyre eventually as the barrow spends much of its time unused and upside down and the tyre rots.

Best thing I did ........... after three barrows over the past 20odd years here .............. is to buy a wheelbarrow with a solid wheel.
This one is mine now. Excellent. :D
https://www.diy.com/departments/walsall ... 605_BQ.prd
Mick F. Cornwall
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

rjb wrote:Daughter's wheelbarrow has had a visitation from the p* fairy. Can I use a 26" inner tube doubled around the rim as a temporary/ semi permanent fix. MTB inner tubes are readily available from Poundland. :wink:

I did this about 3 years ago and the wheel is still fine but it wasn't a 26 inch tube that I used and I cant remember exactly what the size was - possibly 24 inch" ?

In fact the the wrapped around tube seems to hold pressure a lot better than the previous correct size tube.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

For goodness' sake, its an inner tube. Patch it. If you think wheelbarrow tyres are hard to fit, don't ever buy a motorcycle.
rjb

Post by rjb »

531colin wrote:For goodness' sake, its an inner tube. Patch it. If you think wheelbarrow tyres are hard to fit, don't ever buy a motorcycle.

Unfortunately she wants it done yesterday and i wont be seeing her until Xmas, but i know she has a 26" tube available. If she manages to get the wheel and tyre off.

She uses it to Poo pick her horse field every day so shes getting desperate. You wouldnt believe the volume of **** a horse generates in 24 hours. But we always bring 2 foodwaste bins of it home every month when we go down to baby sit. You should see my rhubarb patch. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D