Wrist mirror

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mike_Ayling

Re: Wrist mirror

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Mick F wrote:
Greystoke wrote:Helmet ones seem a good idea but haven't tried one.

First, you need a helmet to fit it to. :wink:
I no longer own one.

I live in a nanny statewhere helmets are mandatory!

Mike
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've cycled in Tasmania, Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne and Bunbury.
This was back in 1988 and helmets hadn't been invented. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tasmania.
On my way from Hobart to Port Arthur.
Wombats.jpg
Wombats.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Mick F. Cornwall
scottg

Post by scottg »

Oy, you can also fit them to your glasses.

Pic of the late Chuck Harris with eyeglass mirror, maker of helmet & glasses mirrors.

dsc_01571.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I use a mirror all the time. I generally position it so that it's seen from the hand position on the bars that covers the brakes. I tend to find if I need to be looking in the mirror, I'm likely to need the brakes at a similar time.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Speaking as a drop bar user, the only mirror I've found useful is the Mirrycle (Original in my case; there is an STI version that fits some Shimano STI levers).

The primary use of handlebars is for your hands, so anywhere that obstructs a regularly used hand position is no good.
Anything that requires you to adjust your own riding position (eg move your arm, or your head to look round the arm) is no good - you lose the "quick glance" check, and may as well just turn your head and look properly.
A bar end mirror is behind the arm in a normal riding position (quite apart from bar end shifters using the position), and often isn't set wide enough that the view isn't obstructed by your hip, the saddlebag pockets etc.
Down tube mirrors are obstructed by you, and by any luggage you may be carrying on the rear of the bike.
Eyeglass mirrors have a field of view that is too narrow to see behind without moving the head (to say nothing of obstruction by hair, hats etc). I don't use a helmet, but I expect a helmet mirror is similar.

A wrist mirror may be useful if you almost always use the same riding position (eg on the lever hoods), but I wouldn't think it's likely enough to warrant spending money to find out.

Flat bar mirrors are much easier, generally being a bit higher and wider than what you'd get on a drop bar. The main problem would be parking knocks changing the alignment, or crash damage.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a small curved (convex) helmet mirror has the potential to offer a good solution; offering a (steerable) wide angle view with minimal obstruction. But theory is one thing, practice is another. When I get old and stiff/deaf enough not to be able to turn around or hear vehicles coming up behind I'll investigate mirrors more thoroughly but in the meantime I'm happy enough without.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Mick F wrote:I've cycled in Tasmania, Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne and Bunbury.

They had certainly been invented by then!

I think that Victoria was the first cab off the rank in about 1990.

Mike
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mike_Ayling wrote:

No doubt they had been, but not as a "device" for normal everyday cyclists.
Mick F. Cornwall
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

A bar end mirror is behind the arm in a normal riding position (quite apart from bar end shifters using the position), and often isn't set wide enough that the view isn't obstructed by your hip, the saddlebag pockets etc.

Er, no it isn't obstructed by my arm, my saddlebag is sufficiently narrow and I don't use bar end shifters. Mine is just fine and very useful for keeping a group ride together as well as spotting traffic. It might be obstructed by one's arm if permanently on the drops - but I ride on the hoods for the most part.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Mick F wrote:
Mike_Ayling wrote:

No doubt they had been, but not as a "device" for normal everyday cyclists.

https://www.davison.com/blog/2013/05/14 ... le-helmet/

Extract from above:

By the 1970’s, a group called the Snell Foundation began comprehensive testing of bicycle helmets and found that none of the helmets on the market were really effective, so they established some basic criteria for head protection, which coincided with the bike boom of the 1970’s, when many American adults took up cycling as an exercise and a sport. Then in 1975, Bell Auto parts invented the first real helmet for cyclists. It consisted of a hard plastic shell padded with a foam-like material. This was the beginning of the modern helmet.

Mike
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There can't be many types of recumbent where the rider easily turn round to for a rear view
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:There can't be many types of recumbent where the rider easily turn round to for a rear view

Nor many small bar end mirrors that would work. Many helmet or glass mirrors would be full of seat back, too. I only recall seeing those long arm foldable ones on recumbents but I'm forgetful.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bell 'biker' from 1975

Bell 'V1 pro' from 1983

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 15 Dec 2018, 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: ... Nor many small bar end mirrors that would work. Many helmet or glass mirrors would be full of seat back, too. I only recall seeing those long arm foldable ones on recumbents but I'm forgetful.

As I posted above, a recumbent rider of my acquiantance dangles a mirror from his wrist. When it's needed, he holds it rather like a make-up mirror but for looking behind rather than at his mush. Whatever the ideological objections, it's very effective.