Which Dual Tyre Pressure Gauge

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Re: Which Dual Tyre Pressure Gauge

Post by rmurphy195 »

I have the BBB one. It works well enough, but keeps switching itself off between moving from the back to the front wheel and between adding bits of air to the tyre and rechecking the pressure! I find that a bit of a nuisance.

Haven't tried removing the brass adapter to use it on car-type valves.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Mine arrived today and it's great for Schrader but I can't seem to get it onto the Presta reliably enough not to dump quite a bit of air trying to get it on which means even if the pressure was right it's not by the time you've actually got a reading .... anybody else found the same???
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-that will vary with the details of the presta valve you are using; they are not all quite the same. With any (separate) pressure reading, there will have to be some air escaping from the tube, you can't measure the pressure any other way. This is a real problem for small-volume racing tyres.

IME the most reliable way of reading the pressure in a presta fitment is to use a track pump with a good chuck and a good gauge fitted. once 'unstuck', a presta valve ought to open at zero excess pressure when pumping, so whatever pressure reading causes air to (slowly) go into the tyre is a pretty good reading of the true pressure.

One of the reasons for favouring presta over Schrader for bicycles is that the Schrader valve chuck positively holds the valve open when it is connected; many of the possible forms of wear in the chuck can allow for significant (in bicycle terms) leakage during disconnection, whereas a presta valve isn't held open (by a good chuck) and closes itself as soon as there is the slightest leakage during disconnection.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Just thought I'd try it again as I'd had a good look at it ... I'm not sure what you call the part on a presta that you unscrew but I was undoing it virtually to the end of it's thread and I think the wider part was catching on the seal of the gauge as you pushed it on causing the biggest air loss so I thought I'd just undo it a minuscule amount.

The rear tyre this worked perfectly and was able to repeatedly get a reading with virtually no air loss at all and when on could just leave it there
... the front tyre, whilst it's not nearly as bad as it was (this one was always way worse earlier) there was still some air loss and if you tried to leave it on you could still hear some air escaping.

Strange as it's a new bike with the same tubes / valves both ends and yet very different results.

I have yet to receive and try it but for my air compressor I've ordered a SKS Multivalve Track Pump head so can go straight from Presta to Schrader ... be interesting to see how that works out but if there really isn't any air loss at all I could be awful tempted to buy a 2nd along with one of these and cut the end off to fit it on.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TireTek-Flex ... SwtQNb2Rpv

I get a bit anal about anything for an easy life :)