Train reservations

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: Train reservations

Post by pete75 »

st599_uk wrote:
pete75 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Cycle reservation tickets are not available to book online, I thought that was made clear already, the travel tickets one can do online but the hassle is always the reservations for the bikes.

Bike reservations for the east coast can be booked online. I've done it many times.
You used to be able to, but then when Virgin got the gig, they removed that function from the website.

May have been put back again, haven't checked.

Have always made cycle reservations online before, after and during Virgin's tenure. The reason some say you can't book them online is because they don't know how to. Several other companies including GWR use the same software the state operated east coast line used so you just need to buy your tickets from GWR and you can book your bike spaces. When Virgin stopped using that system I started booking on the GWR website.
They'll even post you the tickets if you prefer, complete with the bike reservations just like east coast did before Branson got his hands on it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

st599_uk wrote:
pete75 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Cycle reservation tickets are not available to book online, I thought that was made clear already, the travel tickets one can do online but the hassle is always the reservations for the bikes.

Bike reservations for the east coast can be booked online. I've done it many times.
You used to be able to, but then when Virgin got the gig, they removed that function from the website.

Last time I took the Virgin line to Glasgow, I had to call them and book the bicycle - after I'd bought the ticket online.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
pete75

Post by pete75 »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
st599_uk wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Last time I took the Virgin line to Glasgow, I had to call them and book the bicycle - after I'd bought the ticket online.

Yes Virgin took it off the website. Since they lost the franchise LNER haven't put the option back on but you can book tickets and make bike reservations on GWR. It works for the LNER line from Scotland down to London and it did for Virgin before they lost the franchise.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
RickH

Post by RickH »

You are (or were) supposed to be able to book any operators's tickets via any other. Before East Coast messed up their website I used them by default even though I'm not sure I ever travelled with them. The same with over-the-counter tickets - any mainline station (apart from TfL) can do you any tickets from any route, whoever the operator - I've used our local stations (Northern) to buy tickets & bike reservations for Virgin & other routes on many occasions.

The only slight glitch I've encountered, apart from new staff or staff getting to grips with a brand new system, is the last couple of times I've booked a Virgin bike reservation when coming home from Chester when I've travelled from Wigan. (I mostly go from Newton-le-Willows as it is cheaper & doesn't require a change but is a longer ride.) Chester to Warrington doesn't need a bike reservation but Warrington to Wigan does (being Virgin). If I have time at the Chester end & TfW are running on time, I'll sort the reservation at Chester. (once or twice it has been very late & I've missed the train my reservation was for. I don't like doing that as it means that potentially someone can't get on even though there is an empty space.) The last couple of times the 2 tickets have been like a return ticket - the "attach to Cycle" copy has been correct but the "Passenger copy" has shown the reverse direction! :? It hasn't caused any problems with the journey but there is obviously a glitch somewhere. The bike reservation tickets on the outward journey issued by Virgin were both correct so I'm guessing it is a problem with either TfW's system or the interface between TfW & Virgin.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

Obviously not clear enough - I've yet to come across a bike reservation that i can't make online and use the East Coast route a fair bit, usually from Grantham.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have used GWR a few times with a bike.
No problem at all booking online.

Sorry, I'm repeating myself! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

RickH is probably correct, there is (or was?) a glitch in the Virgin bike booking system but it's not confined only to online bookings.
About 5 years ago my cycle touring oppo booked a Single Advance Virgin ticket for himself with a cycle reservation from Oxenholme to Glasgow Central. The booking was made in person at the Oxenholme station ticket office.
It wasn't until he'd returned home that he spotted that the cycle reservation ticket that he'd been given was actually for Glasgow to Oxenholme, the reverse direction of his booked journey which was correctly shown on the passenger ticket.
john4703

Post by john4703 »

I started this thread back in December and got the answer to use GNR. I've used it three times since then with no problem booking my bike on a few different trains with some parts of the journey not doing seat reservation or bike reservation but I've been able to stand with my bike for those 10 minute sections.
I mainly start with a Virgin train on the West Coast main line then use any company that goes where I want to go.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mjr wrote:I've taken a cycle on Thameslink but it was a Saturday. Easy enough: wheel the bike to the door with the bicycle symbol and there's a big bay with retaining strap (or was it straps?).

On Electrostar units there are seats near the bike racks. Also Southern and South Eastern doors are marked in red so it's obvious where cycle facilities are. Thameslink trains are not marked like that, but with a not very obvious cycle symbol especially if other passengers block the view.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.