If Shimano Dura ace grease has changed recently?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
alexnharvey

If Shimano Dura ace grease has changed recently?

Post by alexnharvey »

Does anyone know if Shimano Dura ace grease has recently changed colour from green to black?

It is described here as being black. SHIMANO Dura Ace New Special Grease 50 g https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001NMTIKM/ ... iCbJJZV427
Samuel D

Re: If Shimano Dura ace grease has changed recently?

Post by Samuel D »

Amazon error / default colour in the database / colour of the shipping box / etc. The grease itself remains a sort of fluoro green-yellow. Shimano did change the container designs a few years ago (to the design shown at Amazon), but the grease did not change in appearance then.

I believe it’s actually Motorex Bike Grease 2000, which is of course considerably cheaper if you can find it.
althebike

Post by althebike »

So is it better to regrease or relube a chain?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Grease is a lubricant containing oil and other substances. Getting it into the bearing surfaces of a chain is a problem. Oil goes in by capillary action and so is the better lubricant for chains unless unusual methods are attempted (hot grease bath, etc.).
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Samuel D wrote:Amazon error / default colour in the database / colour of the shipping box / etc. The grease itself remains a sort of fluoro green-yellow. Shimano did change the container designs a few years ago (to the design shown at Amazon), but the grease did not change in appearance then.

I believe it’s actually Motorex Bike Grease 2000, which is of course considerably cheaper if you can find it.

Thanks Samuel. I read it was motul 2000 super long life grease. Both the motorex and the motul are calcium sulfonate thickened high viscosity synthetic base greases, which the Shimano grease is described as on the MSDS and is therefore the basis of this speculation.

Just bought 4x500ml tubes of the motul grease so if anyone's interested in a tube drop me a PM.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

alexnharvey wrote:I read it was motul 2000 super long life grease.

I didn’t immediately find that product with a Google search. Is that its exact label?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Sorry, super longtime!
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Google does not know it.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Sorry, that should've been autol rather than motul.