Newcastle Ferry - Newcastle - Tyndrum

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Eds3110

Newcastle Ferry - Newcastle - Tyndrum

Postby Eds3110 » 28 Dec 2018, 4:39pm

Hi there,
Just new on this forum. Nice there is a UK bicycle forum, as I plan to travel there next april. I´m going to ride a tourversion of the Highland 550.
Question:
I will take the ferry from Holland to Newcastle. I found out that I cannot use the bustransfer from the terminal to Newcastle station with a bicycle. It looks like I have to bike to a train station. Which trainstation is the best option to go to? Newcastle centre? I believe there is a bicycle path to the centre of NC but I have to search for that.

What is the best way to travel with a bicycle by train in the UK? Make a reservation in front? For bike and person?

Thanks!
Ed, bikepacker from Holland

gbnz

Re: Newcastle Ferry - Newcastle - Tindrum

Postby gbnz » 28 Dec 2018, 5:25pm

If you wish to use a train to travel within the UK, Newcastle Central Station is the only station in Newcastle offering train services to other parts of the UK (Nb. Technically you may be able to catch a train on the Newcastle - Carlisle route elsewhere , but it'd still be quicker/easier to use Central Station).

An inner city "train service" does exist (Metro), which seems to be running a trial at the moment allowng 1 No. bicycle on each off peak train, on certain routes. Google Tyneside Metro/bikes to check it out.

If you have to ride to Central Station, don't be disheartened. Most of the UK doesn't consist of bedraggled, pebble dashed, grey buildings in a poor state of repair, most English people speak English rather than the Wallsend local dialect (Geordie) and you don't have to navigate past a 1960's grey, inner city motorway in most towns! (Centre of Newcastle is stunning, well worth a few hours absorbing the vibe (Nb. Other than after 5.00pm Friday and Saturdays)
Last edited by Graham on 30 Dec 2018, 11:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotation mash-up deleted . . . . pointless

foxyrider

Re: Newcastle Ferry - Newcastle - Tyndrum

Postby foxyrider » 28 Dec 2018, 5:44pm

The cycle route into NUT is well posted and mostly well maintained all the way to thee central station. I'd allow an hour for the journey - you might get distracted by Hadrians Wall or the riverside attractions.

It might seem a bit odd suggesting this but speaking to Bahn.com may be a good way of purchasing your tickets from Newcastle. In theory you can turn up and ride but with a bike that could be hit and miss - bikes go free but space is restricted and there are sometimes other restrictions too.

That said, i've rarely had any issues when i've done train/bike journeys in the UK.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 28 Dec 2018, 5:46pm

Most English people speak English :wink: Nearly all Dutch people do too

Newcastle sounds interesting, I must go there again, mind some people speak Mackem not Geordie :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 28 Dec 2018, 6:47pm

brynpoeth wrote:Most English people speak English :wink: Nearly all Dutch people do too

Newcastle sounds interesting, I must go there again, mind some people speak Mackem not Geordie :wink:

Yes, but Mackems speak English which can be understood. I was "doon town" just last week (Nb. To catch the latest installation at the Baltic) and literally couldn't understand the people I was walking past on my way back to the station (Nb. Were gone doo toon two gan a bik, sound of vomiting, takeaways being thrown against the wall, generic Geordie behaviour past 17.00 on a Friday).

And the following day, faced a Geordie at a reception desk, some 35 miles" oot of toon!" (Nb. I became furious after repeating my name seven times and asked to be transeferred to County Hall).

That said, Newcastle from Quayside to Greys monument (City Centre) is an incredible city in terms of architecture and built environment. And when popping into the cities cathedral in passing (As you do), it was interesting to see a staff member entering the cathedral on his bike, ride in, prior to leaving his bike against the pews without a comment being made :wink:

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 28 Dec 2018, 10:27pm

Which do you speak, gbnz?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 28 Dec 2018, 11:32pm

North Shields ferry terminal to Newcastle Central station is about 15 km
Pick up NCR 72 at the A187 roundabout just outside the ferryport, and follow it westwards to just after the 5th bridge (Millenium cycle bridge, Tyne bridge (same architect/design as Sydney Harbour), swing bridge, main High Level rail bridge, blue girder rail bridge). Head away from river to meet station perimeter wall (traffic lights), follow it right, left into no motor vehicles (except taxis) underpass, and left to the station entrance.
Use https://cycle.travel/map for the details.

Trains will be from Newcastle Central.
Newcastle to Inverness will be an inter-city service. Bikes ought to be booked, 3-6 spaces per train.
There will also be local services running between Newcastle and Edinburgh, stopping Alnmouth, Berwick, Dunbar etc, and Edinburgh-Inverness, also stopping regularly. These will generally carry bikes on an "if there's room" basis, thought there may be a commute-time bike ban.

Buying a ticket at the station when you turn up is normally the most expensive way. It's generally a fair bit cheaper to book a month or so in advance, and cheaper again if you book a specific train (or trains). It's also worth checking the costs for a segmented journey (Newcastle to Edinburgh/Glasgow and Edinburgh/Glasgow to Inverness as two separate journeys rather than one.

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 28 Dec 2018, 11:57pm

Getting to Tyndrum by train from Newcastle will involve at least 2 changes. You can go from Newcastle to Edinburgh then Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street then Glasgow Queen Street to Tyndrum.
The other way of doing it would be Newcastle to Carlisle, Carlisle to Glasgow Central then a short walk to Glasgow Queen Street, Glasgow Queen Street to Tyndrum.
Because changes are involved and bike spaces are limited I would recommend you book your bike places.
That said, your journey will involve more than one rail company and each company has its own policy on carrying bikes.
Train fares in the UK are a bit of a mystery. If you look at either the Trainline or National Rail Enquiries websites for your entire journey the prices vary according to the time of day you travel. It's worth looking at fares regularly because often cheaper tickets are available 12 weeks before the date of travel (this tends to be long distance journeys but parts of your journey could be discounted).
I hope your cycle tour is so fantastic it erases the nightmare of planning a journey using UK trains.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

st599_uk

Postby st599_uk » 29 Dec 2018, 12:23am

The Novocastrian dialect shares a lot of phraseology with Hanseatic German and Scandinavian due to the past and is the nearest to old English, but yes it does take some getting used to.

There's a large number of Georgian and Regency buildings that are worth an explore plus some Roman and Medieval if you know where to look.

The cycle route in is mainly along the older industrial Riverside.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 29 Dec 2018, 7:52am

bogmyrtle wrote:Getting to Tyndrum by train from Newcastle will involve at least 2 changes.....

Pretty sure there are some direct trains between Newcastle and Glasgow, so no change necessarily needed at Edinburgh.

gazza_d

Postby gazza_d » 29 Dec 2018, 8:13am

You can follow NCN 72 (Hadrian's way) from ferry terminal to Newcastle centre.It's mostly well connected, traffic free (or very low traffic) and well signed.
Route is https://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/64171047/#balanced It will dump you onto the quayside though which will leave you with a steep climb up to the station. I'd allow about an hour for the ride
I would suggest using an app like cyclestreets (or Bikehub though which can act as a "satnav" and give good directions away from busy roads.

the Tyne and Wear Metro has just started carrying full size bicycles (it's always carried folded bikes) but has some serious restrictions around times, and you can't carry bikes through the central part of the network - times and details here - https://nexus.org.uk/metro/guide-metro/cycles-and-dogs

As for trains, you will mostly need a reservation on the longer services, and I would recommend that you assume you need one. bike reservations are free. It is cheaper to book train tickets quite a bit of time in advance if you can (various websites are available: thetrainline.com etc)
You will need to reserve bike by phone or email to train company direct though as most online systems won't let you reserve spaces.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 29 Dec 2018, 8:52am

brynpoeth wrote:Which do you speak, gbnz?

Neither. One of the characteristics of post industrial regions is the cultural division between a small elite and the masses. In language, culture and backgroud we differ from them. Quite different to parts of the UK which have never been subject to heavy industry

Eds3110

Postby Eds3110 » 29 Dec 2018, 4:02pm

Hi!
The info you gave me is beyond expectation!
Thanks!

I will also look into the language bussiness :D

Eds3110

Postby Eds3110 » 29 Dec 2018, 4:09pm

I found out that the Geordie-Mackems thing is between Sunderland and Newcastle.
As I´m going north that´s enough info for now, better look into what they speak up north. Sorry guys :lol:

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Dec 2018, 5:15pm

This contributor is a Geordie. He is also bilingual.
John

Cycling and recycling