Tubeless tyre choice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jfagan

Tubeless tyre choice

Post by jfagan »

I recently just bought a pair of Hope Tech rs4 700c wheels for my road bike.

If Hope get back to me saying that their wheels a tubeless ready, i need help choosing what tyres to set up on my wheels.
Im not racing i just need a reliable good lasting tyre as im commuting with a few general long rides a couple times a month.

All suggestions will be appreciated
RickH

Re: Tubeless tyre choice

Post by RickH »

RS4s are the hubs. It would help if you said what rims you got them built with.

Having said that, most of the rim options from a quick look at Hope's website (I can't guarantee that I've looked at them all), apart from the Mavic Open Pros, are listed as tubeless compatible (just add rim tape & valves).

I can't give any tyre recommendations as I'm probably running much wider tyres than you're likely to be using (38mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers on Tech Endura rims, currently with tubes but may well try them tubeless at some point, & 40x700 WTB Nanos tubeless on WTB rims).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
jfagan

Post by jfagan »

RickH wrote:RS4s are the hubs. It would help if you said what rims you got them built with.

Having said that, most of the rim options from a quick look at Hope's website (I can't guarantee that I've looked at them all), apart from the Mavic Open Pros, are listed as tubeless compatible (just add rim tape & valves).

I can't give any tyre recommendations as I'm probably running much wider tyres than you're likely to be using (38mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers on Tech Endura rims, currently with tubes but may well try them tubeless at some point, & 40x700 WTB Nanos tubeless on WTB rims).

You are right my mistake. The rims are Mavic open pros. Is there any way to make them tubeless or is not even a question? Ive had a look at Vittorias but not sure which ones would be tubeless??
Thanks
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there is more than one version of the open pro rim. The original one is 15mm internal width and is now sold as the 'open pro C'. This rim is not tubeless compatible.

There is a new wider open pro rim (with a distinctive machined spoke bed) which is compatible with UST tyres. It may or may not work well with non-UST tubeless tyres.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I may be wrong but as far as I can see most tubeless road tyres are either aimed at the "sporting" part of the category or the "all road" part. Commuting and long life have yet to be addressed . Having said that I am on the third winter plus a summer on Schwalbe S ones that are doing very well indeed. The rear had flattened out a bit so I swapped ends but other wise its been bomb proof.
Wide rims and lowish pressure seem to work ok whether tubeless specific or not (I am running 20mm inner rims with 35mm gravel tyres at 50 psi) Narrower rims at higher pressure may not be so universal.