Frame And Tail Bags

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Frame And Tail Bags

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well I have just swallowed that one, just hoping that its not completely a duff idea as opposed to panniers.
This year planning some extended rides on uk mainland hauling my bivvy...............tools........spare tyre..........waterproofs............cooker.......kitchen sink........... :?
Any experiences?
Stability
Waterproof
Quality
Etc

Edited for my really bad grammar :(
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 5 Jan 2019, 11:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Re: Frame And Tail Bags

Post by mjr »

I've done two hostel tours with saddlebag and tail roll on the rear rack. I think it would max out about 45 litres if I used a bigger duffel as a tail roll but I've not needed that yet. My canvas bags aren't waterproof so everything inside is in dry bags and rain covers go over the outside for anything more than a shower. I feel canvas bags are much higher quality for the same money as mid weight roll-closure bike packing bags.

I feel it's more aerodynamic and most importantly easier to get through those infernal cycleway barriers, but the weight being above the wheel does handle a bit differently. Not bad, just different to big panniers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Ha, yeh a bit like carrying home a folder on my rear rack :?
The bike intended for frame tail bags is a road bike not a tourer, but I expect if I can handle bouldered tracks off road on the tourer then the road bike will feel a bit tame :)
They are in the post!
Oh no! I got a bar bag as well :lol:
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've used a large saddle pack and barrel bar bag for weekend trips and not had any trouble with the handling but was carrying pretty lightweight stuff.
One thing I've found if you are using a roll up bar bag such as this with a road bike.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPODHBB/ ... barrel-bag
unless you have really wide bars you can't fill it too much or else there isn't enough room between the bars for your hands to go over the brake levers.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Bikepacking gear is different.
Provided there's enough space, it's better when actually riding, but...

It's slower to attach or remove from the bike.
Compared to "traditional" luggage (Carradice saddlebag/panniers/handlebar bag), you'll find that quick access storage that you can get at without significant unpacking is restricted (for food/camera/map/waterproofs/puncture kit etc).
It's mostly stitched nylon, which means waterproof (ish) stuff sacks inside.
I've always been put off frame bags because I ride knees in (i.e. knees clear the top tube by maybe 5 mm), and I've never seen a soft bag as something that won't get in the way. Water bottle space may also be restricted.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

apologies if this is b.obvious but anything strapped onto the frame will try handsomely to rub the paint off the frame. If you are worried by this then it is a good idea to tape up the frame with something that is not super-sticky and will come off again after a few weeks. Cheap insulation tape may work better than most other sorts of tape for this.

There is an aerodynamic benefit to certain sorts of luggage but this is often paid for with other problems of various kinds.

Of course you should experiment with your chosen method before you get many miles from home and find it doesn't really work. I'd also be tempted (at first) to fit a front/rear carrier or something even if you think you don't really need it; all kinds of other bags can be strapped to a rack should you find they don't really work in other locations.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies, Already thought of protecting frame at strapping points :wink:
I plan to have a spare bike or two of same specs which will be for training purposes, saving proper much loved steed for main rides.
We will have to see......................have in the past strapped on some tri bars but found it almost impossible to stay off the central reservation and the pavement :lol:
Plan that I will make mods where necessary to bags / a lightweight stand off for front brake cable with bar bag.
Thought of lightweight rear rack, frame has no lugs for stays etc, "P" clipped on with homemade rack........much to fiddle with.
Road bike is 4 KG lighter than tourer, frame bags will add less than 1.5KG.
Bottles yep.
Mud guard's...will I risk going naked...
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I don't know if you are planning on going off-road with your set-up but one thing I learnt from the off-road mountain bike trip I did last year, with 2 small panniers, was that for steep and rocky stuff next time I would add a small front roll or handle bar bag to keep the front wheel on the ground when toiling up steep, rocky and loosely surfaced slopes. I've never had that problem on my touring bikes, even with larger panniers and additional weight on top of the rack.
RickH

Post by RickH »

whoof wrote:I've used a large saddle pack and barrel bar bag for weekend trips and not had any trouble with the handling but was carrying pretty lightweight stuff.
One thing I've found if you are using a roll up bar bag such as this with a road bike.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPODHBB/ ... barrel-bag
unless you have really wide bars you can't fill it too much or else there isn't enough room between the bars for your hands to go over the brake levers.

I've got the Podsacs Barrel bag to. It's quite a useful little bag, if a little on the small side & not expensive at its current price of £15. You can use a larger drybag - I've got one of the 10l ones they are selling for £6 which will also fit in the harness for the barrel bag. My tail bag for 90% of the time I'm on my bike is a 13l Alpkit Koala which rolls up quite small for day-to-day use (tools, puncture kit, mini pump, inner tubes, folding tyre & rain jacket) but has quite a good bit of space for whatever else (today it also included a padded jacket - in a small bag ~24cm x 13cm diameter but still a bit more squashability when packing - in case of cold stops as the temp was around -1C when I went out this morning).

For more esoteric packing: while out for a gentle ride with Mrs H, while we were camping near Bala, we won a 500 piece jigsaw & also spotted a plentiful supply of blackberries at the side of some of the lanes we rode. All were transported back to basecamp in (well mostly in) the Koala.

Jigsaw (& other stuff) in a Koala
Jigsaw (& other stuff) in a Koala

I note that PlanetX do an 11l seatpack (for pre-order or 9l version in stock) for a less expensive option. For a bigger option Alpkit do the 17l Big Papa. Loads of other options out there too.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Seat pack - tail bag - saddle bag all hang off the saddle rails.
I suppose that the weight in a bag any type is not even comparable with your bum weight, so no need to worry about any effects there.
Just tying to cover all angles.
Modern saddles are..........well have been for some time moulded plastic base, rails must bite into the base some where some how, even if you had no base the rails should be tough enough.

Handlebars now that's some thing I need to sort, I have a unsleeved drop bars into a unique stem, I am quite an animal with bars so thats on my mind for some time now..............I will start another post for that.