Ortlieb bar bag fixing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robgul

Re: Ortlieb bar bag fixing

Post by robgul »

All the recent posts bear out my thinking re R&K etc ... the other thing I like about the Ortlieb is that it's YELLOW ! (Father Christmas provided Ortlieb panniers in yellow :D )

I also have an Altura barbag that will either stay on another bike or may be sold.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Norman H wrote:Another advantage of the R&K fitting is that the cable can be cheaply replaced with a suitably sheathed length of old brake cable inner. The Ortlieb cable has a unique brass ferrule fixed to one end and is expensive to replace.

Given that you might need to replace the cable if you move the bracket it is of course a consideration - but really, how often do you move the bracket? I've never had to replace a cable on either brand due to failure and when I have moved brackets i've usually managed to recycle the cables.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

Norman H wrote:Another advantage of the R&K fitting is that the cable can be cheaply replaced with a suitably sheathed length of old brake cable inner. The Ortlieb cable has a unique brass ferrule fixed to one end and is expensive to replace.

Just cut off the cable flush, then drill through and you can use any old cable with a ferrule, I think mine has a gear one in.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Bowedw wrote:Lucky you,just ignore my message.

I feel your pain as I too have felt it from others when I have contributed to a thread and had no form of acknowledgement and yet later posters have been, Grr ! :(
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

When I found that the R&K unit was attached to the bars using four screws I decided that the cable was redundant and did not instal it.

Just check the screws for tightness now and again.

Mike