Ortlieb bar bag fixing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robgul

Ortlieb bar bag fixing

Post by robgul »

I've been looking at the Ortlieb bar bags BUT they seem to have rather crude fixing with a clamp wire etc - does anyone know if it's possible to remove the fitment part on the bag itself and fit the Rixen & Kaul plate to then work with the R&K handlebar mount (which is better, and I already have)?

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mark S

Re: Ortlieb bar bag fixing

Post by Mark S »

I think you’ll find the Orlieb bags fit the R&K mount without any need to change the plate on the bag.
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

My Ortlieb bar bag fits to my R and K mounting without any modification on one of my bikes. I don't know if the design of either has changed in the last few years though.
That said, the Ortlieb mounting, whilst it looks flimsy, is sturdy enough on my other bike.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

HI apart from the wire method of fixing and the lock they are interchangeable so there will be no need to change the plate on the bag. I do believe R & K sales blurb states that they are compatible with Ortlieb.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Since my post I've looked at some other details and it will indeed work with the R&K handlebar mount.

... just got to punt around for the best price now for a 5L to fritter away some more money :-)

Thanks

Rob
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I'm pleased you weren’t looking for one last year :)
This, I think, was my bargain of the year all brand new and yes fully interchangeable with my other Ortileb and R&K mounts.
B6CC5D5D-7618-4129-A37D-98A90BEF8423.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
robgul

Post by robgul »

Paulatic wrote:I'm pleased you weren’t looking for one last year :)
This, I think, was my bargain of the year all brand new and yes fully interchangeable with my other Ortileb and R&K mounts.
B6CC5D5D-7618-4129-A37D-98A90BEF8423.jpeg

I think I've done quite well with a purchase about 5 mins ago - 5L bag in yellow, brand new in box for £35 from Edinburgh Bike Coop (on ebay) - Best other price from the usual suspects is about £60.

Rob
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

I bought a second hand Topeak bar bag which is probably smaller than the one you want and a RK bracket which comes with 4 allen bolts and a substantial inner plate and it works fine. 2 of the bolts fitted existing holes and the plates cover the unused holes and easy to make 2 fresh holes.
Not as waterproof as the Ortlieb but I believe the newer ones come with a rain cover. There are other sizes of bags available.
Just a suggestion of a possible alternative. I seem to remember the plate was obtained from Amazon and was something like a tenner.
I did think of using a Carradice zipped roll but they are not cheap either.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Lucky you,just ignore my message.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The only problem with Ortlieb barbags is that they last forever! I replaced my Ultimate 2 for an Ultimate 4 not because there was anything wrong with it but because after a dozen years use it was looking 'used'!

I've gone to using the R&K mounting as the lock on the Ortlieb is entirely pointless - i'm never going to leave my BB on the bike unattended so why do I need a lock?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
John1054

Post by John1054 »

foxyrider wrote:The only problem with Ortlieb barbags is that they last forever! I replaced my Ultimate 2 for an Ultimate 4 not because there was anything wrong with it but because after a dozen years use it was looking 'used'!

I've gone to using the R&K mounting as the lock on the Ortlieb is entirely pointless - i'm never going to leave my BB on the bike unattended so why do I need a lock?

Agree that the lock is superfluous but my latest R & K mounts have locks too. I thought it was good initially, but then thought the same as you - park bike, remove bar-bag every time.
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote: I've gone to using the R&K mounting as the lock on the Ortlieb is entirely pointless - i'm never going to leave my BB on the bike unattended so why do I need a lock?

Me neither, though I also have a basket that uses the came R&K bracket and is sometimes left on the bike, it's minimal value but I'm still keen for it to still be there on my return.
The R&K bracket comes in locking and none locking versions, the locking used without the key functions the same as the non locking, there's no disadvantage, is there with the Ortlieb?
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

A very happy R&K user here.

Mike
freiston

Post by freiston »

I've got a 16 litre Axiom barbag that came with a horrible bracket. I don't always need such a large bag and wanted something smaller so I bought an Ortlieb bag and replaced the Axiom bracket with the Ortlieb one that came with the bag. I also bought a R&K bracket that fixes to the frame of my folding bike and a spare R&K bag plate to replace the Axiom plate so now I can put either bag on either bike.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Another advantage of the R&K fitting is that the cable can be cheaply replaced with a suitably sheathed length of old brake cable inner. The Ortlieb cable has a unique brass ferrule fixed to one end and is expensive to replace.