What saddle bag and pump

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ndwgolf

What saddle bag and pump

Post by ndwgolf »

Guys
At last my new Trek Madone SLR7 will arrive on Tuesday. I have been riding a Santa Cruz MTB for the past 2 years without incident. I have basically pumped the tires up before a ride, and hit the road without carrying any spares and normally every two weeks drop my bike off for a service and clean at our local bike shop.
My MTB runs tubeless tires and so will my new Road Bike, but this time around I am planning to take some spares and also a pump in anticipation of a puncher. I quite fancy one of the small saddle bags that tuck under the rear of the saddle and as far as the pump goes should that get attached to the bike frame or put it in one of the rear shirt pockets ................any recommendations for both Pump and Saddle Bags??

Neil
mattsccm

Re: What saddle bag and pump

Post by mattsccm »

Frame pump ! In my club the young and fast or the wannabes stuff it in their pocket as apparently cluttering up the bike isn't "pro" . just one more thing to clutter up your pockets I reckon. Mini pumps are not as effective as big ones ( they can't be) but may be acceptable. Mines about 9" long and does the job if slow. The longer the more effective, hence frame mount for me. Most work well. Buy one in a colour that matches your bike/eyes.
As to bags, buy what ever looks nice but be aware that cheap Velcro is crap. The specific make is less important than the flavour of your flapjack.
Not helpful? To be honest there are a million answers and none are definitive, just buy what you fancy.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'd go for a reasonable length pump that can be mounted under the bottle cage - my current fave is an alloy Lezyne with a hose, gets good pressure and in theory the hose is less likely to damage the valve toggle.
As to seatpacks, make sure it's big enough to get everything in! Some small 'road' packs you'd struggle to get a puncture kit in let alone tools/tube! I find something @ 300ml capacity to be just about adequate, 500ml and I can get in a few extra bits like gloves and spare cables. I have various different styles, clam shell are my most numerous but I quite like the roll top Ortlieb Micro too, light and a bit more flexible than the clams.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The only frame-fit pump I'm familiar with is the Zéfal HPx range. I cannot see how one would fit that bike because the angle at the seat cluster looks wrong.

http://www.zefal.com/en/traditional-pumps/32-hpx.ht ml

I don't know much about tubeless tyres either, but I think you need a special pum to get the burst of pressure.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

hmm, frame pump? Not sure about that on a fancy carbon bike with aero tubes. TBH I think if you have a 7.5k bike the rescue plan is a taxi and/or CO2 canisters. There are pocket pumps though they dont work that well compared to larger ones. Some reviews here https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... ide-114355
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I've used a specialized MTB pump on my carbon bike for a while, it fits to a simple yet very effective clamp that goes under my bottle cage and is very unobtrusive on my carbon bike but I do take a canister of of foam repair for the tubular tyres. The spesh pump gets me 60PSI in a 28mm, 70 in a 25mm tyre without needing a popeye arm, higher pressures need more effort obviously.

However I acquired a Lezyne micro floor pump with a bike I bought this autumn, it's really good at getting high pressures though It's a lot more bulky than the specialized so depends on your priorities, here's the best price I could find and it's the one with a gau.ge at about same price without from many sellers https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... with-gauge
Not sure if you'll get any CUK discount mind.

Saddle bag wise, I asked mater to get me one last chrimbo, a Brooks Isle of Wight. It's a great size, leather straps for post and saddle rails and a very nice size. Not cheap but on a carbon bike I think it looks the bomb :D
Attachments
DSCF9209.JPG
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Just a thought would a C02 canister really get you home if you were in a bind, or is a pump the only sure way??

Neil

PS I agree with all. I will be better off just going to the bike shop and seeing what takes my fancy.

Its been a long wait as I ordered the bike on September 9th 2018 and will get to see it on 8th January 2019...cant blood wait
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

ndwgolf wrote:Just a thought would a C02 canister really get you home if you were in a bind, or is a pump the only sure way??

Neil

PS I agree with all. I will be better off just going to the bike shop and seeing what takes my fancy.

Its been a long wait as I ordered the bike on September 9th 2018 and will get to see it on 8th January 2019...cant blood wait

I've never used a CO2 canister myself (just pack a foam sealant can which screws onto the valve and will repair/inflate two tyres to high pressures), there's such a variance in which are good and which are simply a stranded by the roadside waiting to happen. If you're going that route, make sure you get a well reviewed one as the worst one will be far worse than a bang average hand pump.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... would a C02 canister really get you home if you were in a bind, or is a pump the only sure way? ...

Have a look at this

viewtopic.php?p=1306601#p1306601

Especially this bit

To be ready for any eventuality you need to either carry a lot of kit with you (more than with a tubed setup) and have lots of time to spare and/or be prepared to 'phone home' in the event of trouble.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

No need for a frame fitting pump nowadays. My fave small pump is the Specialized Air Tool - about 10 inches long and slim enough to be mounted alongside the bottle cage. You can quite easily get tyres up to 80-90 psi with it. Don't buy the Air Tool Mini which is about half the size and completely useless.

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... road-pump/

Topeak do a decent range of under the saddle seat packs. I use a medium size which is enough for 2 spare tubes, patch kit, tyre levers, chain tool, spare link and multi tool.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
scottg

Post by scottg »

mattsccm wrote:Frame pump ! In my club the young and fast or the wannabes stuff it in their pocket as apparently cluttering up the bike isn't "pro" .[snip]

True pros have one of these......

IMG_8196.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++