Handle Bar Bags Compatible With A Torch

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

Handle Bar Bags Compatible With A Torch

Postby Witterings » 7 Jan 2019, 7:09pm

Does anybody know of any handle bar bags that don't get in the way of torches as most of them sit too high and even if you can mount the torch the beam shines down and clips the top of the bag rather than lighting the way ahead.

It's not so much of a problem with a29er with nice wide bars as you can put the torch out to the side, it's more of a problem with drops especially as you don't have a lot of space to mount the torch before you run into bar tape.

It may be that I'm looking for a Unicorn of a bag but thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions before I knock the idea on the head as it would be my ideal.

Paulatic

Re: Handle Bar Bags Compatible With A Torch

Postby Paulatic » 7 Jan 2019, 7:25pm

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

mjr

Postby mjr » 7 Jan 2019, 7:33pm

Perhaps it would be better to mount a proper light (not a torch unless MTBing) on the fork crown or top of the fork itself.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 7 Jan 2019, 8:18pm

I have a carradice bar bag which has a detachable bar underneath that could take a couple of lights.

rfryer

Postby rfryer » 8 Jan 2019, 7:56am

You can get an adaptor to fit to an R&K Klik-Fix bracket, that gives you an elevated bar to fix a light to. However, you'd still need to find a bag that mounted low on the bracket; mine doesn't and the light hits it.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 8 Jan 2019, 8:09am

mjr wrote:Perhaps it would be better to mount a proper light (not a torch unless MTBing) on the fork crown or top of the fork itself.

+1

I use half a "SpaceGrip"

Mount the U shaped bracket to the crown

Mount the end of the SpaceGrip

...et voila:

Witterings

Postby Witterings » 8 Jan 2019, 8:17am

Cheers for the replies and all the links Paulatic which I've read ..... all of which seem to re-iterate that I'm not alone with the issue and there doesn't really seem to be an easy solution, there were a couple of suggestions for extension bars but the reviews and comments on them weren't great ranging from just slipping to breaking within a couple of months and anything attached to a bag is likely to bounce around quite a bit.

Shame as a saddle bag seems one of the best "out of the way" options for carrying bits especially if you want some of them close to hand, looks like I'll probably end up with a large saddle / seat post bag instead.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 8 Jan 2019, 10:25am

Cunobelin wrote:
mjr wrote:Perhaps it would be better to mount a proper light (not a torch unless MTBing) on the fork crown or top of the fork itself.

Those without a Thorn twin plate fork crown, but with a bolt hole, can use the newer style of Spacegrip
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... extension/
I've found both old and new styles of Spacegrip to work well.
The older one did have to be properly fitted, and, being largely plastic, had a weight limit (i.e. a Garmin 60CSx and a sizeable home-brew LED light proved too heavy and it started to deform around the joint).

A bar attached to the handlebar bag itself will allow the light to bounce around quite a bit on less than smooth roads, which doesn't help with pothole spotting.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 8 Jan 2019, 12:22pm

andrew_s wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Those without a Thorn twin plate fork crown, but with a bolt hole, can use the newer style of Spacegrip
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... extension/
I've found both old and new styles of Spacegrip to work well.
The older one did have to be properly fitted, and, being largely plastic, had a weight limit (i.e. a Garmin 60CSx and a sizeable home-brew LED light proved too heavy and it started to deform around the joint).

A bar attached to the handlebar bag itself will allow the light to bounce around quite a bit on less than smooth roads, which doesn't help with pothole spotting.

There were two.....

I have never had a problem with the SpaceGrip, but the "Swing Grip" was made of very safe cheese and failed within a few days

backnotes

Postby backnotes » 8 Jan 2019, 1:52pm

Minoura do a couple of other useful front light brackets.

This one

Minoura front.jpg

replaces a headset spacer and, depending on your stem and bar bag, allows you to mount a light that will not bounce around and is out of the way below the bar bag. It needed Loctite and some star washers to make it secure, but it doesn't budge now.

Then there's this one

Minoura fork.jpg

that lets you mount a light that fits a handlebar off a fork that doesn't have bosses. The steel band adjusts for different fork diameters You use a rubber strip to protect the paintwork. Not suitable for carbon forks.

I used the Carradice bar bag mount for around 10 years before getting the Minoura bracket. Agree with others that the bag is a bad place for a primary light as it will bounce around with the bag, but the quarter turn click fix mounting for the T-bar on the bottom of the bag still clicks positively and has never budged or fallen off in use, so it's more secure than it looks.

scottg

Postby scottg » 8 Jan 2019, 2:28pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.