A good average speed to aim for??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: A good average speed to aim for??

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 12 Jan 2019, 10:54pm

Hi,
If you are riding for fitness then get more into Zone four than three.
Fitness is time and effort not miles.

Then in comparable conditions your average will be comparable.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

ndwgolf

A good average speed to aim for??

Postby ndwgolf » 13 Jan 2019, 12:36am

Well that was a reality check. Plodding along at 33kl/hr 3 young lads went past me like I was hardly moving. Like lots have you mentioned the main priority is to have fun so that is what I will keep doing......,,.. have fun while burning enough calories to not worry how many beers I can have at night
Neil

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jan 2019, 9:43am

PH wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Forget average speeds, they are meaningless.

I thought they were riding for fun :wink:
So I'm sure they can decide for themselves what has meaning.
I had a lovely piece of carrot cake on todays ride, just what I was aiming for, I hope no spoilsport comes along and tells me it was meaningless...

I'm with MA on this. It's meaningless. Hare up to every stop line and sprint away and you increase your average moving speed. It's a rubbish way to ride, especially near other cyclists, but plenty do it.

One local club aims to average 16kph overall (not moving speed). Any faster and you miss seeing stuff or you're taking chances at junctions.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

iandusud

Postby iandusud » 13 Jan 2019, 10:08am

ndwgolf wrote:I’ve moved to a Road Bikefrom a mountain bike that I mainly used on tarmac.
My best average speed over ~60 kilometers on my mountain bike was 25.2 kilometers/ hour
My second ride on my road bike was 28.2 kilometers/ hour and I felt like I was going like the clappers........ in the real world how is 28 kilometers an hour for an overweight 61 year old??

Neil

I'm 59 years old and generally ride once a week with a local club (and at other times as and when). Where I live a flat ride has around 10m of ascent/km, most rides are more like 15-20m/km. I note that your ride was VERY flat. Having said that I would normally average 25-26 kph on one of my flat rides riding solo and riding fairly hard. I could probably match your average speed on your ride. However all that is to say that I'm a regular cyclist and consider myself quite fit so I think your stats are good and you should be happy with them.

Above all, as others have said, the most important thing is to enjoy the ride. I enjoying riding hard with hard riders. I enjoy just as much pootling along with the steadiest of riders. I enjoy road riding, I enjoying off-road riding. At the end of the day I just enjoy cycling in all its guises and I fear that many cyclists miss out on a lot of enjoyment because they think that cycling has to be done in a certain way only.

Anyway, really glad you're enjoying your cycling.

Ian

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 Jan 2019, 10:31am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
If you are riding for fitness then get more into Zone four than three.
Fitness is time and effort not miles.

Then in comparable conditions your average will be comparable.

That's OK if the OP's in London, of course.

Yours, making Dad jokes for years etc.

jadakabj

Postby jadakabj » 13 Jan 2019, 5:13pm

It's your body with your specific variables. Maybe a good average speed is one that is higher than yesterdays?

John

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jan 2019, 8:17pm

jadakabj wrote:It's your body with your specific variables. Maybe a good average speed is one that is higher than yesterdays?

In the long term, that probably won't happen much, so isn't that dooming yourself to disappointment?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

jadakabj

Postby jadakabj » 14 Jan 2019, 9:32am

Probably.

Maybe we should return to the premise that we are just out to enjoy ourselves? So a good average is one that we are satisfied with. If it's higher or lower than yesterday or higher or lower than someone else's is there an acceptable explanation?

John

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 14 Jan 2019, 12:05pm

Hi,
I get depressed when my average drops below 12.5 but happy above 13 mph :)
My average average ball park is 12.1 to 13.5 max!
Does not tell you much until I mention the bike weighs 67 Ibs and my average heart rate on the bike is 80% of my max.
My climbing is low mostly at the moment only about 45' / mile. But can be 200' / mile on a good day.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Witterings

Postby Witterings » 14 Jan 2019, 1:17pm

Don't know what's wrong with us lot but we're quite a bit down from the OP .... we're doing 70% road and 30% gravel with averages between 10.5 and 12.5 MPH depending on how wet and windy it is.
We did get them up a bit in the summer I guess when the gravel sections were harder / dryer but they were seldom above 13 although we managed 13.5 once as a group and I did a 14 mph average on my own one evening over 20 miles.

We did a very hilly 52 mile charity wide which was all road and our average was 11.4 mph so overall seems like we're pretty slow.

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 14 Jan 2019, 1:37pm

Witterings wrote:Don't know what's wrong with us lot but we're quite a bit down from the OP .... we're doing 70% road and 30% gravel with averages between 10.5 and 12.5 MPH depending on how wet and windy it is.
We did get them up a bit in the summer I guess when the gravel sections were harder / dryer but they were seldom above 13 although we managed 13.5 once as a group and I did a 14 mph average on my own one evening over 20 miles.

We did a very hilly 52 mile charity wide which was all road and our average was 11.4 mph so overall seems like we're pretty slow.

I'd not worry, I'm not much different to you! Loaded touring tends to be 10.5-11.5 mph, solo day rides 12.5-13.5 mph. I am in a hilly area but am probably just slow and too interested in wildlife and landscapes. I am much quicker when riding with others and the focus shifts to cycling.

Witterings

Postby Witterings » 14 Jan 2019, 1:57pm

Actually what bikes are most talking about quoting the averages, I know the OP quoted both MTB and road bike, the ones I quoted were 29er with more road orientated tyres for the summer / charity ride.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 14 Jan 2019, 2:08pm

I work on heart rate and / or Normalized power to weight ratio. You can be making good power, but be riding up a steep hill, or into a strong headwind, and your average speed won’t tell the right tale. The powwwah will still be the Powwwah, regardless.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 15 Jan 2019, 9:28am

I don't ride a road bike but I do ride on roads. It may be different for road bike users but I've never worried what my average speed is. I go at what ever speed feels comfortable. I usually average about 11 mph but it can be much less if I see interesting things on my ride, after all this is why I love cycling

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 15 Jan 2019, 9:35am

jadakabj wrote:It's your body with your specific variables. Maybe a good average speed is one that is higher than yesterdays?

John

You could be going faster one day, than the previous day, however, you might also not be actually improving anything. Forex If the weather / road / traffic conditions were more favourable on the second day, you could get a better average speed, but with less power. This would give you a false sense that you’ve improved, when you could actually have done exactly the opposite, as you’ve done less work, on the day your average speed was higher. Hence the reason why ‘average speed’ really isn’t a good metric by which to measure progress / improvement. So a more pertinent question would have been “what’s a good power to weight ratio to aim for”. You’d be doing very well if you got it to 4 or 5. Three or four would be more than acceptable.