Had my first puncture today

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Had my first puncture today

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

This is one of my winter bikes. It has Tannus tyres, I don’t get punctures. #smug
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Image

This is one of my winter bikes. It has Tannus tyres, I don’t get punctures. #smug

Nice looking bike
Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
mjr

Post by mjr »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:This is one of my winter bikes. It has Tannus tyres, I don’t get punctures. #smug

Nah, it just makes the bike handle funny. They're massively better than the previous generation of solid tyres as found on the Ofo bikes until they went bust, but there are enough local riders with broken bones after suffering handling problems that I'm not switching. Punctures are rare and those I get are rarely difficult to deal with.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

mjr wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:This is one of my winter bikes. It has Tannus tyres, I don’t get punctures. #smug

Nah, it just makes the bike handle funny. They're massively better than the previous generation of solid tyres as found on the Ofo bikes until they went bust, but there are enough local riders with broken bones after suffering handling problems that I'm not switching. Punctures are rare and those I get are rarely difficult to deal with.

They are a bit ‘odd’ feeling, until you get used to them, but I’ve got over 20000 miles on various sets of Tannus tyres now, and wouldn’t swap them for anything on a cold, wet, dark January ride. You also find they make you up your game as far as bike handling is concerned. I’ve got more normal tyres with slime tubes, on my other bikes, and have found they work pretty well too.
Last edited by Marcus Aurelius on 16 Jan 2019, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus Aurelius

ndwgolf wrote:

Nice looking bike
Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

It’s a good old Triban 520. Super cheap ( it’s only a Sora 9 speed groupset ) and has been absolutely brilliant in the 3 years I’ve had it
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

cycleruk wrote:Just wrapping up and a comment "Bill is your tyre a bit flat?" :? . Yes a deflation on another's machine.
Tyre had been slowly going down while we were stood there.
This time, after checking the tyre, there was a thorn found but it took a bit of a struggle to get it out.
As I'm sure some of you know thorns can be a bit of a ###### to get out.

I've started carrying a small, cheap pair of pliers for getting thorns out.
Another thing I've found is that thorns sometimes plug the hole they've made quite well. If you notice a soft tyre, and aren't sure how long it's taken to get soft, it can be worth just pumping it up and carrying on riding. If it's soft again quite quickly, you've only wasted the pumping time, but if it takes longer, pumping every 10 or 20 miles uses less time than changing the tube (I have had thorn punctures last 4 or 5 days between pumpings).
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Nice picture.

Sunshine, leaves, no mudguards, your winters look great ;-)
Marcus Aurelius

roubaixtuesday wrote:

Nice picture.

Sunshine, leaves, no mudguards, your winters look great ;-)

I have to confess that although that bike is the one I use most in the winter, I also ride it quite a bit in better conditions / the summer, if the route I’m using involves fire trails / cycle paths or rough ground. It’s actually a very capable bike, and those tyres are brilliant on all sorts of pointy stuff strewn surfaces. Also, I won’t use mudguards, ever, nowadays. I was sent down the road on my backside by an acorn jamming in a mudguard a couple of years ago, and I knew a guy who died after a crash caused by debris jamming in a mudguard, he ( and I )even had the break away tabs. Mudguards are an absolute accident waiting to happen if you run over something in the dark, which jams your wheel ( even momentarily, whilst the tabs break ).

This is the bike I use if it snows.

It’s running with Marathon plus tyres and slime tubes, and it doesn’t get punctures either. It’s got a ‘stand clear’ mudguard on the back, but that’s okay because of the clearance between the wheel / tyre and the mudguard.
Last edited by Marcus Aurelius on 16 Jan 2019, 5:48pm, edited 2 times in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

We shall have to agree to differ on the utility of 'guards, something I regard as imperative in winter.

But no matter. Instead of debating such, let us imagine the sun at our backs and the leaves gleaming green upon the trees to tide us through the dark days of January!
Marcus Aurelius

roubaixtuesday wrote:We shall have to agree to differ on the utility of 'guards, something I regard as imperative in winter.

But no matter. Instead of debating such, let us imagine the sun at our backs and the leaves gleaming green upon the trees to tide us through the dark days of January!

Quite right.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Riding with a bag with dangling straps on your handlebars is far riskier than most mudguards. ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

mjr wrote:Riding with a bag with dangling straps on your handlebars is far riskier than most mudguards. ;-)

That’s my faithful old rucksack, I had to hang it on the bars whilst I took the photo, if I’d had put it on the ground it would have gotten wet. If I’d put it on my back, I’d have had to take it back off again, to put the phone with which I took the photo, away.