Had my first puncture today

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ndwgolf

Re: Had my first puncture today

Post by ndwgolf »

cycleruk wrote:Do you know why couldn't you get the wheel back in?
I sometimes have trouble with the back wheel just sliding back in and that is after many years of practice. :roll:

I think it was more I couldn’t get my head around how to deal with the chain. Since watching the YouTube videos I get it and have since practiced without an issue.
Thanks Neil
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

It's a good idea to practise taking the wheel and tyre off and putting it all back on again at home, using the tools you carry on your ride. This avoids you having to work out what to do when stopped beside the road, often in less than ideal conditions. Also avoids finding out the hard way that the tools you have with you (e.g. tyre levers, mini pump etc) don't work!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I sometimes have trouble with the back wheel just sliding back in and that is after many years of practice. :roll:

Put the bike in top gear before removing the wheel to reduce the risk of chain tension being a problem?

My other top tip would be brightly coloured tyre levers, so you can easily find any you drop... or catapult into the nearby undergrowth.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mjr wrote:

Put the bike in top gear before removing the wheel to reduce the risk of chain tension being a problem?

My other top tip would be brightly coloured tyre levers, so you can easily find any you drop... or catapult into the nearby undergrowth.

+1
I'd add putting the sidewall writing by the valve - makes it easier to locate when pumping up and can aid in locating punctures as it then works as a reference point.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I do all the above but sometimes the QR nut seems to clash with the dérailleur pivot. :?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Bear in mind that inner tubes are more permeable to CO₂ than they are to air, so if you leave the CO₂ in, your tyre is likely to go flat quickly. It might be an idea to deflate it and re-inflate with an old-fashioned pump.
Last edited by freiston on 15 Jan 2019, 9:36pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

freiston wrote:Bear in mind that inner tubes are more permeable to CO² than they are to air, so if you leave the CO² in, your tyre is likely to go flat quickly. It might be an idea to deflate it and re-inflate with an old-fashioned pump.

it is

CO₂

not

CO²

BTW it may seem pedantic to worry about spelling and punctuation; no-one gets everything right anyway. However if no-one worries about it, sooner or later we end up in a situation where we simply can't communicate with one another any more; at the least any complexity is difficult, and nuances of meaning are impossible, and at worst, everything is in complete gibberish.

FWIW 'spellcheck' , autocorrect and autocomplete don't really help much; the writer learns nothing (leading to reinforcement of bad habits), and they often just change words which are not spelt correctly into ones that are, but that mean something completely different... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freiston

Post by freiston »

Brucey wrote:
freiston wrote:Bear in mind that inner tubes are more permeable to CO² than they are to air, so if you leave the CO² in, your tyre is likely to go flat quickly. It might be an idea to deflate it and re-inflate with an old-fashioned pump.

it is

CO₂

not

CO²

BTW it may seem pedantic to worry about spelling and punctuation; no-one gets everything right anyway. However if no-one worries about it, sooner or later we end up in a situation where we simply can't communicate with one another any more; at the least any complexity is difficult, and nuances of meaning are impossible, and at worst, everything is in complete gibberish.

FWIW 'spellcheck' , autocorrect and autocomplete don't really help much; the writer learns nothing (leading to reinforcement of bad habits), and they often just change words which are not spelt correctly into ones that are, but that mean something completely different... :roll:

cheers
Oops, sorry! Post edited.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

cycleruk wrote:I do all the above but sometimes the QR nut seems to clash with the dérailleur pivot. :?

Well that's simple, pull the derraileur back out of the way :lol:
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Thats my baby..........just fixing to head out of the door for an early morning ride in Phangnga just north of Phuket........quite roads and lots of fresh air :) :) :)

Neil
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

foxyrider wrote:
cycleruk wrote:I do all the above but sometimes the QR nut seems to clash with the dérailleur pivot. :?

That won't move the pivot out of the way. The part that contains the dérailleur fixing screw.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

cycleruk wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

That won't move the pivot out of the way. The part that contains the dérailleur fixing screw.

If you get the chain onto the second sprocket as you feed it in I find that allows for an easier entry - after i've unhooked the tyre from the brake nlock :lol: giving the QR lever a tap will generally keep the nut out of the way.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Out with a few club mates yesterday :) and after about 8 miles a call "I've got a puncture" :( from the front rider.
So set to and changed the tube, which seemed to take ages and weather was a bit cold for standing around.
Tube replaced and out comes the CO2 cannister and the tyre inflated.
BANG! - On inspection tube poking out from under the side wall :x :oops:
Oh Dear! or some such comment and start all over again. Another 15 minutes or so of standing around and a successful attempt this time. (No idea what had caused the first puncture. :roll: )

Just wrapping up and a comment "Bill is your tyre a bit flat?" :? . Yes a deflation on another's machine.
Tyre had been slowly going down while we were stood there.
This time, after checking the tyre, there was a thorn found but it took a bit of a struggle to get it out.
As I'm sure some of you know thorns can be a bit of a ###### to get out.
Tyre and tube now replaced but it wouldn't pump up. :?:
Another tube fitted and this time it pumped up and stayed up.
I inspected the previous tube that wouldn't inflate and found a small hole. This was a patched tube but the hole was a few inches away and thought was the tube may have been nipped when installing.
A plethora of punctures put paid to progress.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

cycleruk wrote:Out with a few club mates yesterday :) and after about 8 miles a call "I've got a puncture" :( from the front rider.
So set to and changed the tube, which seemed to take ages and weather was a bit cold for standing around.
Tube replaced and out comes the CO2 cannister and the tyre inflated.
BANG! - On inspection tube poking out from under the side wall :x :oops:
Oh Dear! or some such comment and start all over again. Another 15 minutes or so of standing around and a successful attempt this time. (No idea what had caused the first puncture. :roll: )

Just wrapping up and a comment "Bill is your tyre a bit flat?" :? . Yes a deflation on another's machine.
Tyre had been slowly going down while we were stood there.
This time, after checking the tyre, there was a thorn found but it took a bit of a struggle to get it out.
As I'm sure some of you know thorns can be a bit of a ###### to get out.
Tyre and tube now replaced but it wouldn't pump up. :?:
Another tube fitted and this time it pumped up and stayed up.
I inspected the previous tube that wouldn't inflate and found a small hole. This was a patched tube but the hole was a few inches away and thought was the tube may have been nipped when installing.
A plethora of punctures put paid to progress.

You get days like that.