Where is all that gravel?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH
Posts: 7515
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby PH » 13 Jan 2019, 2:23pm

I don't care what they're called, there's some great bikes available now and people are buying them and reinventing touring, isn't that a good thing?
Of course there's nothing new - including this subject, how many time have we done it? Does the op think they've had as original thought?

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 2837
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby Bmblbzzz » 13 Jan 2019, 2:24pm

There are plenty of roads or tracks in Britain like both of thelawnet's two photos. Just without the palm trees! As he says, mtb with front suspension would be better for the broken one but a fattish tyred rigid drop-barred bike would handle it too. But mud is probably more common and that's where knobbly tyres really come into their own.

Garry Booth
Posts: 194
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 11:22am

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby Garry Booth » 13 Jan 2019, 3:05pm

What was a path bike, in the olden days?

User avatar
andrew_s
Posts: 4903
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 9:29pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby andrew_s » 13 Jan 2019, 3:25pm

Garry Booth wrote:What was a path bike, in the olden days?

A track bike, assuming you're referring to the period when clubs called themselves "XX Road & Path CC".
In terms of the actual bikes, back then multiple bikes were less of an option, so there would have been allowances for general use, like brake drillings at the fork crown, and sufficient clearance for mudguards.

iandriver
Posts: 2159
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby iandriver » 13 Jan 2019, 5:02pm

Garry Booth wrote:What was a path bike, in the olden days?

Pashley do the Speed 5 and guvnor as a reissue of their old path racer. Would love one, except for me, it would be completely pointless. Shame.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Brucey
Posts: 35631
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby Brucey » 13 Jan 2019, 5:11pm

andrew_s wrote:
Garry Booth wrote:What was a path bike, in the olden days?

A track bike, assuming you're referring to the period when clubs called themselves "XX Road & Path CC".
In terms of the actual bikes, back then multiple bikes were less of an option, so there would have been allowances for general use, like brake drillings at the fork crown, and sufficient clearance for mudguards.


Image
1910 Rudge-Whitworth 'aero special' path racer

commonly path racers appear to have had fatter tyres than the one above; presumably not all paths were as well beaten, if you like.....

Ironically you wouldn't be allowed to road race some century-old path racers under current UCI regs, (even with brakes fitted). The reason? They are built too light.... :lol:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eyebrox
Posts: 253
Joined: 5 Aug 2015, 8:56pm
Location: Ayrshire

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby Eyebrox » 13 Jan 2019, 6:00pm

I've got a Grovel Bike. Took me ages and a lot of DIY to get my wife to agree.

pwa
Posts: 10300
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby pwa » 13 Jan 2019, 6:23pm

If you want gravel (stone chippings to be accurate) there's loads of it here in South Wales. But I'm not sure I'd take anything less tough than a full-on mountain bike on proper gravel. Rough bits commonly have chippings of 4 cm or bigger, with the odd rock sticking out. And you can venture off onto dodgy side paths if you have a proper off-road bike.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6526141 ... 6?hl=en-GB
Miles and miles of gravel around this valley, but cyclists there tend to be on MTBs, not "gravel bikes".
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6553338 ... 6?hl=en-GB
I'd be happier doing this corner on an MTB than a gravel bike.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6548196 ... 6?hl=en-GB
On a gravel bike you might feel more comfortable sticking to the smooth track below, leaving the adventurous stuff to MTBs.
Last edited by pwa on 13 Jan 2019, 6:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

pete75
Posts: 11740
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby pete75 » 13 Jan 2019, 6:29pm

What will a so called gravel bike do that an ordinary touring bike can't?

PH
Posts: 7515
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby PH » 13 Jan 2019, 6:56pm

pete75 wrote:What will a so called gravel bike do that an ordinary touring bike can't?

Sell to the yoof

pwa
Posts: 10300
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby pwa » 13 Jan 2019, 6:59pm

PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:What will a so called gravel bike do that an ordinary touring bike can't?

Sell to the yoof

And take bigger tyres, and less baggage.

User avatar
Tinnishill
Posts: 143
Joined: 15 Sep 2013, 9:58am

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby Tinnishill » 13 Jan 2019, 7:07pm

Between Stranraer and Wooler
Agitate, educate, organise.

thelawnet
Posts: 2222
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby thelawnet » 13 Jan 2019, 7:42pm

whoof wrote:
Garry Booth wrote:I keep seeing adverts for, and reviews of, so-called gravel bikes. But where is all this gravel.

Where are all the mountains that mountain bike owners in Southern England are riding up and down?


Technically mountain bike is not really a current term

You have 'cross country', 'trail', 'downhill' and 'enduro'. Cross country is for any sort of track, trail is a bit more in the way of big bumps, downhill is for jumping off rocks very beavy, and enduro is a slightly lighter version of downhill.

I think there is a divergence in that 'trails' (built specifically to test a mountain bike) become increasingly demanding, whereas cross country tracks could just be a muddy bridleway or whatever, so you might not need a 'mountain bike' at all,and could use some sort of 'gravel' bike.

When I am in Indonesia there are lots of large rockand, holes, and front suspension AND far tyres can be useful just to get from a to b. I'm not convinced you need more than fat tyres in the UK for getting anywhere, so you end up with a 'trail' bike for artificially created mtb riding.

MikeF
Posts: 3731
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby MikeF » 13 Jan 2019, 7:47pm

pwa wrote:If you want gravel (stone chippings to be accurate) there's loads of it here in South Wales. But I'm not sure I'd take anything less tough than a full-on mountain bike on proper gravel. Rough bits commonly have chippings of 4 cm or bigger, with the odd rock sticking out. And you can venture off onto dodgy side paths if you have a proper off-road bike.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6526141 ... 6?hl=en-GB
Miles and miles of gravel around this valley, but cyclists there tend to be on MTBs, not "gravel bikes".
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6553338 ... 6?hl=en-GB
I'd be happier doing this corner on an MTB than a gravel bike.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6548196 ... 6?hl=en-GB
On a gravel bike you might feel more comfortable sticking to the smooth track below, leaving the adventurous stuff to MTBs.
A rough surface does not equate to gravel. None of that is gravel, but perhaps the Americans call it that. :wink:

There's a short section of path near me that is gravel and it's extremely difficult to cycle along.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

whoof
Posts: 1892
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Where is all that gravel?

Postby whoof » 13 Jan 2019, 8:08pm

thelawnet wrote:
whoof wrote:
Garry Booth wrote:I keep seeing adverts for, and reviews of, so-called gravel bikes. But where is all this gravel.

Where are all the mountains that mountain bike owners in Southern England are riding up and down?


Technically mountain bike is not really a current term

In reality it is and it's used by every bike shop in this country.
https://www.evanscycles.com/bikes_c

https://www.merlincycles.com/bikes-75265/

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes

https://www.tredz.co.uk/bikes