First Posters Seeking Advice - Genuine or Not?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonhill

First Posters Seeking Advice - Genuine or Not?

Post by simonhill »

Recently we have been having a number of posts seeking advice after an incident. The description is usually fairly detailed and then advice, often legal is sought The posters are always first timers and usually never reply to questions or post again.

Coincidence or spoof?
thirdcrank

Re: First Posters Seeking Advice - Genuine or Not?

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm generally a bit cautious about these, but I generally try to reply as though it's in good faith.

While we are discussing the organisation of the forum, I'd ... er .... vote for something to reduce the number of polls. It's not that there's no place for them, but they seem to be launched with little thought.
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonhill wrote:
Coincidence or spoof?

Generally I think they should be taken at face value - it is the ensuing discussion that is the interesting bit. Same with questions about which bike to get and health issues for instance. Even the wind-up questions are sometimes good if taken in good spirit.

My only doubt is for the ones where students request help with projects: I get the impression that their asking us is the work they have to do - they have to demonstrate that they have carried out market research. The answers we give are irrelevant to them.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

But they do get some advice on how to design and conduct a survey. :lol:
Bez

Post by Bez »

As far as forum organisation is concerned, all I want is an “everything but The Brexit Tea Shop” option.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bez wrote:As far as forum organisation is concerned, all I want is an “everything but The Brexit Tea Shop” option.

The thread actually tidied up and then coralled all new threads into it. Unfortunately the fence was breached so we've now got a proliferation of Brexit threads. I think there should be a couple more "catch-all" threads to cover other political areas as well.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A first time thread concerning Phuket, Trek Madone and air freight I replied to recently has gone into the ether. No idea why.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Bez wrote:As far as forum organisation is concerned, all I want is an “everything but The Brexit Tea Shop” option.

+1 It's become a home for serial trolls
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I've seen exactly the same thing happening on other furums (fora?).

I think what happens is that someone uses a search engine to answer a question and up pops the forum, amongst other hits. They then sign up and ask their question, but with no real conviction and no lasting interest in whatever else the forum might have to offer and simply drift away from whence the they came.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paulatic wrote:A first time thread concerning Phuket, Trek Madone and air freight I replied to recently has gone into the ether. No idea why.

I don't know about that specific thread but there's been quite a lot from what I presume to be the same poster and I think they have received exemplary courtesy.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Paulatic wrote:A first time thread concerning Phuket, Trek Madone and air freight I replied to recently has gone into the ether. No idea why.

That new topic, from a new user, contained near identical text from another genuine post.

This is a standard spammer method. Sometimes it may go un-noticed , however, this time the subject matter was unusual and current - it stood out like a sore-thumb.
I thought your reply to it was a sarcastic flagging-up of the "what an extraordinary coincidence" . . . .. :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

And now we have yet another Brexit-related poll.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ile go with the first three posts :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Graham wrote:

That new topic, from a new user, contained near identical text from another genuine post.

This is a standard spammer method. Sometimes it may go un-noticed , however, this time the subject matter was unusual and current - it stood out like a sore-thumb.
I thought your reply to it was a sarcastic flagging-up of the "what an extraordinary coincidence" . . . .. :wink:

It was, but I wasn’t certain.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
peetee

Post by peetee »

It's worth bearing in mind that there is nothing stopping insurance company investigators from reading forums too. One would imagine it's entirely possible that a poster giving over too much info and fishing for compensation avenues might be recognised and their persual of a claim treated differently as a result.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.