Merging GPX files

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Merging GPX files

Post by mjr »

Tinnishill wrote: I have just done a test. I used cycle.travel to create and download two GPX’s, Cockermouth to Keswick and then Keswick to Penrith. I dragged and dropped the GPX’s onto GPSPrune, which I already had on my computer. Using the “edit” feature I moved the contiguous ends of the tracks until they met. From the drop down menu it was “Range, select all > merge” and “Export GPX” naming the new GPX. I have now loaded the new GPX onto my Android phone to test on Osmand and seems to work fine.

Can you check if there is only one <trk> tag in the file, please? Searching with a text editor should suffice.

I had a play with Viking, doing similar, and while I can cut/paste tracks into one layer and then right-click the layer and Export as GPX to put them in one file, the two tracks remained in their own two <trk> sections. To actually merge them in one <trk>, I had to right-click the track and then pick Combine.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

RickH wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:You can use cycle.travel to see all the journeys in one folder on a map. If you click 'My bike' -> 'Journeys', then the folder list on the right has little 'Map' links: click one of these and all the journeys in that folder will be superimposed together on a map. Click one of them to open it in the route-planner.

That's very good. Is it a recent addition or have I just missed noticing it?

One minor point though - when I click on the "Map" link all the distances of the routes inside shown at the left side are in km, even though it is set to miles in my preferences (& the routes are all in the UK).

Newish! Thanks for spotting that - it'll now take account of preferences.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
RickH wrote:That's very good. Is it a recent addition or have I just missed noticing it?

One minor point though - when I click on the "Map" link all the distances of the routes inside shown at the left side are in km, even though it is set to miles in my preferences (& the routes are all in the UK).

Could we have links to it from the map routes listing, please? It took me a while to notice it.

And the "import" has not yet worked for me either, even trying to import a GPX previously exported from cycle.travel. The poor guy pedals on forever until I feel he needs a break.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

mjr » 24 Jan 2019, 12:24pm

Can you check if there is only one <trk> tag in the file, please? Searching with a text editor should suffice.

There you go. I have skipped the bit in the middle, which is just a stream of <trkpnt>. Only one <trk> that I can see.
Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg
Agitate, educate, organise.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

mjr wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:
RickH wrote:That's very good. Is it a recent addition or have I just missed noticing it?

Could we have links to it from the map routes listing, please? It took me a while to notice it.

And the "import" has not yet worked for me either, even trying to import a GPX previously exported from cycle.travel. The poor guy pedals on forever until I feel he needs a break.

I've given him some EPO...

(Slightly more seriously, I've just moved cycle.travel to a newer, faster server which has meant rebuilding lots of stuff on the latest Ubuntu. It turns out that the background process mechanism c.t uses, the Redis-powered Resque, now has a bunch of dependency clashes that was causing it to fail silently. I've sorted these out and it seems to be working happily again - thanks for spotting!)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
maxmarengo

Post by maxmarengo »

I manage my routes and tracks using Mapyx Quo. The package is free, you can pay for OS maps if you want to, but you can also get Openstreetmap/Opencyclemap as a free background.

I find it easy to play around with routes/tracks - join, split, convert one to the other etc. Much more intuitive than Basecamp. I have used the resulting output with both ViewRanger (for which I use Routes) and OSMAnd (for which I use Tracks).
climo

Post by climo »

As the OP, thanks for all your helpful replies
bigwheel

Post by bigwheel »

This might come a bit late, but you could give a try to this new tool : https://gpxstudio.github.io
You can import multiple files and export them as one, it also has a lot of editing features and is completely web-based.