Moreton-In-Marsh Cycle Routes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cloader

Moreton-In-Marsh Cycle Routes

Post by cloader »

Hi,
Does anyone know if the track that runs along the eastern boundary of the Moreton Fire Service College and cuts through from the A44 through to the road that runs from Moreton to Todenham is rideable by bike the whole way?
The OS 1:25,000 map shows the southern third of the track to be a cycle path (green dots), but then it stops where the track kinks towards the NW. Is it possible to carry on northwards towards Lower Lemington?
Thanks,
Chris
robgul

Re: Moreton-In-Marsh Cycle Routes

Post by robgul »

I ride around there quite a bit and I'm pretty sure that the northern end of the track you describe is closed as a private road with access to some houses and a farm (and I think "Emergency Access" to the old airfield - i.e. Fire College) - are you sure the OS shows the green dots on the track, it looks like a footpath? - the latest 1-50,000 OS does not.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
cloader

Post by cloader »

Thanks Rob,
On Google maps Street View the northern end of the track has a sign advertising free range eggs for sale, so I assume you can go along the track to the farm to buy them. Also there are a couple of footpaths that lead onto the track from Great Wolford, so I assume those footpaths can be connected together by walking along the track? In which case, can you cycle along this part of the track as well as walk?
The plot thickens...
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Bmblbzzz of this parish went up there once: viewtopic.php?p=1134627#p1134627 - "a locked gate at the end of a terribly overgrown path with a yellow footpath sign off it".
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
cloader

Post by cloader »

Thanks Richard,
That pretty much clinches it as not being a through route.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

It's public highway from the southern end as far as the lodge, where the track/road angles left.

The detailed OS MasterMap shows it as being surfaced (Make = "Manmade", change date Nov 2016), with no obstructions other than a fence keeping you off the old airfield itself. VectorMap Local (1:10,000 scale replacement) shows it all as "just another road".

The footpath shown ending at the lodge on 1:25,000 is no longer present on the official maps, but the two ending further north on the track/road are still current. The green dots also only extend as far as the lodge.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Just to correct a common misconception: green dots on the OS 1:25 000 map do not mean "cycle path". They mean:
Other routes with public access

... The exact nature of the rights on these routes and the existence of any restrictions may be checked with the local highway authority.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/docs/l ... legend.pdf

In other words, there's some kind of public access but not necessarily for cycling.

On 1:50 000 maps, green dots do indicate a cycle path, but if you look at that particular track on the 1:50 000 map it's got red dots, not green.
cloader

Post by cloader »

OK Andy, thanks for that.
Chris
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I was going to post but... Richard Fairhurst already has. :D FWIW I diverted up the minor road that runs in a NE direction to Great Wolford a few hundred metres east of that track, which gave me an excellent opportunity to look at the Four Shires Stone. If you're heading for Lemington though it probably makes more sense to go through Moreton-in-Marsh itself.
cloader

Post by cloader »

Yes, now I'm planning to avoid the track as it sounds like a no-go, and just go through Moreton, and then up towards Batsford, but originally I was just trying to avoid the A44 as much as I could and go via the track and then via Lemington to Batsford.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Moreton centre isn't that bad. Assuming you're coming up from Evenlode, you only need to do a few hundred yards on the A44 and the A429, and the traffic is busy but slow-moving on both.

• Stay on the A44 until you cross over the railway bridge, then turn right into Station Rd (just after the pedestrian crossing).
  • Follow Station Rd round to the left past the station entrance (it becomes New Rd).
  • When you get to the High Street (A429) cross straight over to reach the service road running parallel to the High St.
  • Turn right along this service road. (Beware of inattentive motorists hunting for parking spaces.)
  • At the end of the service road you have to join the A429 for just a few seconds to get past Budgens and reach the left turn for Batsford.

Anyway, Moreton High Street is quite pretty (apart from the traffic). If you turn the "wrong" way along that service road for a few yards you can visit the Bell Inn, the inspiration for the Prancing Pony Inn at Bree in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings . :-) Oh, and if you're not in a hurry, take a tiny detour into Batsford village and stop by the church. Beautiful spot.
cloader

Post by cloader »

Andy,
OK, thanks for the tips. Our club (South Bucks) is actually staying at the FSC for a few days in the Spring, and I'm the organizer, hence my questions about the track along the side of the College, because it's about a mile along the A44 from the FSC into town, but if the traffic is slow moving it will be fine.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

cloader wrote:Andy,
OK, thanks for the tips. Our club (South Bucks) is actually staying at the FSC for a few days in the Spring, and I'm the organizer, hence my questions about the track along the side of the College, because it's about a mile along the A44 from the FSC into town, but if the traffic is slow moving it will be fine.

Ah, it'll be a bit worse at first then, because you'll be starting off in a 50mph zone. Good visibility on that road though.

It's probably a statement of the bleedin' obvious, but have you tried asking the FSC if there's a sneaky back way you could use to get out of their site? Maybe they could lend you the keys for that "emergency access" gate that robgul mentioned? A long shot, but it can't hurt to ask.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

There is no emergency access gate opening onto Todenham Road. The only visible access other than the main entrance is a gate (probably locked) about 150 m up the east side track in question.
The new housing on the west side has access to either the A44 or Todenham road, but it's been built in separate areas and there's no through route unless they've knocked a fence down without building a road across the gap.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I thought there was, though it might be shared with a farm as well. Whether you'd get permission to use it, I do not know.
https://goo.gl/maps/jwC9rG6sqy32