Looks about 100 kilometers is me maxed out

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ndwgolf

Looks about 100 kilometers is me maxed out

Postby ndwgolf » 25 Jan 2019, 10:32am

Today we did another 100 klicks and I was tired when we finished. When I say tired I couldn’t wait to get back to my car. Knees starting to get sore. Lower back or hip left side periodically giving me jip but at the end of the day and one hour later sitting on the sofa with cold packs on my knees and a nice ice cold Heineken going down great....... all in all it’s been a great day.
Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

whoof

Re: Looks about 100 kilometers is me maxed out

Postby whoof » 25 Jan 2019, 10:41am

The symptoms you've listed aren't tired. Sore knees, back and hip shouldn't occur riding a bike. I would either take a look at the way you are set up on the bike and/or take it easier for a while and build up to the distances you are now doing. If you repeat rides with joint and back pain long term you may end up injuring yourself.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 25 Jan 2019, 10:44am

Hi,
Setup
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

ndwgolf

Postby ndwgolf » 25 Jan 2019, 11:02am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Setup

109.32 kilos
Trek Madone SLR7

3 months ago 119 kilos and riding a mountain bike. Goal is 100 kilos by the end of March.

Neil

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 25 Jan 2019, 11:27am

I've been riding for years and my max at this time of year is the same - The cold can really take it out of you!

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 25 Jan 2019, 11:33am

All symptoms of a warning things aren’t as they should be. After 100 K you should be ready for a cup of tea, shower and get ready for the dance. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

whoof

Postby whoof » 25 Jan 2019, 11:49am

fastpedaller wrote:I've been riding for years and my max at this time of year is the same - The cold can really take it out of you!

I think the OP is in Thailand so the cold probably isn't affecting them. They might suffer in the heat but not their back, hip and knees.

pwa

Postby pwa » 25 Jan 2019, 11:56am

Bars too low, saddle too high?

djrikki

Postby djrikki » 25 Jan 2019, 12:15pm

Probably the best bet is go for a basic bike fit. Mine cost £35, but you can easily pay much more that than. Makes all the difference, decent-ish saddle helps as well, I never paid a lot for that either, chargebikes.com

PH

Postby PH » 25 Jan 2019, 12:24pm

it's always worth the effort getting the fit right, but it also sounds to me like the symptoms of too much too soon. Well done on a good ride, do a few recovery rides at an easy pace, set a goal for the next big one and build up to it.
I'm always knackered at the end of a long ride, often feel that's my limit and couldn't do any more - I feel like that at the end of a 100 km ride, but don't feel it quarter of the way round a 400, don't underestimate how much of it is psychological.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 25 Jan 2019, 1:05pm

if your back is hurting on one side but not the other a common cause of this is that your legs are slightly different lengths. A bike fit would be sensible; you could be set up badly on the bike in any number of ways.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JakobW

Postby JakobW » 25 Jan 2019, 1:45pm

Depending on fitness, 100km on the bike is anywhere between 3 and 6 hours in the saddle; if you've been ramping up the mileage quickly, knee and back pain might not be uncommon, especially if you're doing that with minimal stops. I'd still second the recommendation of a bike fit, mind, just to rule out any problems.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 25 Jan 2019, 2:02pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Setup
I agree, and in that order too.

60miles is far enough for me now. Yes, I could do 100miles, but I'd be whacked and it would lay me out for a day or two.
Same bike, same setup.

Put me on the Moulton, and I'm whacked after 45miles.
Same setup exactly as the Mercian but it's much heavier and bad aerodynamics. It takes more effort to ride it.

It wasn't always like this. Far from it.
It's my age that's changed - nowt else.
Mick F. Cornwall

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 25 Jan 2019, 2:09pm

whoof wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:I've been riding for years and my max at this time of year is the same - The cold can really take it out of you!

I think the OP is in Thailand so the cold probably isn't affecting them. They might suffer in the heat but not their back, hip and knees.

I find 1 mile on my road bike on England in the January cold is worth 2 miles on my MTB on road in Indonesia. Cold is much easier to cycle in for me. Last decent ride I did in Indonesia I set out at 6am and by 830 was getting sunburned so had to stop to buy some suncream. Also the volume of sweat produced is different - sweating out a litre or so in the tropics is surely an exertion of itself.

whoof

Postby whoof » 25 Jan 2019, 2:11pm

thelawnet wrote:
whoof wrote:

I find 1 mile on my road bike on England in the January cold is worth 2 miles on my MTB on road in Indonesia. Cold is much easier to cycle in for me. Last decent ride I did in Indonesia I set out at 6am and by 830 was getting sunburned so had to stop to buy some suncream. Also the volume of sweat produced is different - sweating out a litre or so in the tropics is surely an exertion of itself.

But you don't sweat out of your hip and knee joints.