Lightweight bike lock

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jamesh

Lightweight bike lock

Postby Jamesh » 27 Jan 2019, 5:31pm

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Surelock ... jgQAvD_BwE

Any views to how effective these are for cafe stops or any better alternatives?

mjr

Re: Lightweight bike lock

Postby mjr » 27 Jan 2019, 6:05pm

Doesn't say how thick it is. I expect it's so thin side cutters would do it, not even needing cable cutters.

I carry a £10 alarmed metre 12mm cable hoop as a cafe lock. D lock for town, though. https://www.laxzo.com/bicycle-security- ... 8614-p.asp
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 27 Jan 2019, 6:05pm

IMO combination locks are more of a challenge than a deterrent.

I use a 2metre spiral cable (from Halfords) with a solid brass padlock. Has been effective up to now.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and grey hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 27 Jan 2019, 9:13pm

On occasion I use an even lighter lock, similar to https://www.tredz.co.uk/.System-EX-Cafe ... _62146.htm
With locks this feeble I accept that all it does is act as a deterrent so that your cycle cannot be pushed away without tinkering with the lock first. Consequently I only use it when I know the place is pretty safe or secure.
A club mate had a keyed one from Lidl I think, and left his key at home. It took something like 2 minutes to cut the cable with the file blade on my swiss army knife.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 27 Jan 2019, 9:58pm

What sort of bike do you ride jamesh?

Do you use panniers?
Sweep

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 27 Jan 2019, 10:01pm

Anything less than a bank vault is just a small deterrent to dedicated thieves. My cafe lock is a feeble Abus cable with 4 digit combination - I know it won't stop a real thief but it's enough to stop an opportunist walking by. It fits in a pocket, weighs sod all and cost about a tenner and as it's so feeble it doesn't scream out 'look i've got a really expensive bike' either.

I'm not going to leave it as the only lock in an urban situation or where I can't see the bike for any length of time.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 27 Jan 2019, 10:28pm

My main lock is a pain padlock and a 4' cable.
The lock is sized so I can only just get the cable into the locks shackle.
This goes through one of the front wheels to the chain guard.
I can lock anything up to a small tree is the space between the cable and the trikes frame.
I use a mini aluminium D lock and another 4' cable as my second lock.
It's used in the back wheel of the trike and the cable goes to a trailer wheel.
I know if a thief tries the D lock is easy to cut, but it looks like a steel D lock so hopefully deters a casual one.
The total weight of two locks and twin cables is less than that of a full size steel D lock so I'm happy with what I've got.

Luck ......... :D

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 28 Jan 2019, 8:28am

Summer bike is an old Cannondale six carbon bike.
Winter is CX bike
+ Couple of steel retro rides!

I was more thinking of a lock for my up coming e2e where a lock at a cafe is the main requirement.
I could just use the kids coil lock!

Cheers James

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 28 Jan 2019, 8:39am

Jamesh wrote:I could just use the kids coil lock!
Yes, that would be my choice.
Generally though, I don't lock my bikes up.
Just sit where you can see it and/or where you can see comings and goings.

I often stop at pubs and cafes out on a ride. Can't remember the last time I even took a lock with me.
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 28 Jan 2019, 8:54am

... better alternatives ...

What you are talking about it peace of mind. Only you know what will give you that. At a time when thieves use JCB diggers to turn cash dispensers into real holes in the wall, nothing is completely safe.

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 28 Jan 2019, 8:54am

When I was on tour last year, I lost my lock, and needed to immobilize the bike while I wandered round a hypermarket to find a new one. A quick turn of the bolt in the top of the quill stem left the bike quite unrideable, and weighed precisely zero.

Airsporter1st

Postby Airsporter1st » 28 Jan 2019, 10:43am

I think the alarmed locks go a long way towards compensating for a relatively weak mechanical lock in a cafe stop application. The last thing most opportunist thieves want is to be chased by a posse of angry riders.

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 28 Jan 2019, 11:39am

Any views to how effective these are for cafe stops or any better alternatives?

I bought something similar a couple of months ago.....never used it, really is small, good for locking up a suitcase maybe. You really would have to keep the bike in sight if using one of these, & in that case you're better off just leaving it in the granny gear so you have some chance of catching the little scroat as they try to pedal furiously away!

mjr

Postby mjr » 28 Jan 2019, 12:48pm

SimonCelsa wrote:& in that case you're better off just leaving it in the granny gear so you have some chance of catching the little scroat as they try to pedal furiously away!

I tend to prefer either leaving it set to drop the chain (shifters set to small-small after stopping) or leaving it in top so their knees pop - but that's assuming they're going to try to ride it, which not all thieves do.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 28 Jan 2019, 12:53pm

If you are talking about cafe stops in more salubrious locations where you will always have one eye on your bike, I think that lock would be fine. I use a cheapo Halfords' combi lock for such purposes. It is long enough to put round something solid eg post, bench, etc. I like combi locks on tour as no key to carry or loose.

Obviously an equipped thief could easily cut it, but it is only meant to act as an initial deterrent.

Often on tour at quick stops, I use mini 40cm combi lock which cost about 60p and just goes through my rear wheel - but that's not in UK, so probably less at risk.