Changing from 1st to 12th

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
drossall
Posts: 4454
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 10:01pm
Location: North Hertfordshire

Re: Changing from 1st to 12th

Postby drossall » 31 Jan 2019, 6:47pm

We can't be too far away from the bike changing gears when you think about it. Just needs a Di3 insert surgically implanted behind your ear :lol:

BigG
Posts: 984
Joined: 7 Jun 2010, 4:29pm
Location: Devon

Re: Changing from 1st to 12th

Postby BigG » 10 Feb 2019, 5:37pm

The gear drop between rings (as a percentage) will be roughly equivalent to a number of rear sprocket shifts. On my bikes it is carefully arranged to be almost exactly equal to 3 rear shifts. The technique in changing down is to first drop down one ring leading to an immediate rise in cadence, and then almost immediately shift up two gears at the back. The brief spinning of the pedals in mid shift is not a problem. The more difficult shift is the other way. Then the first shift for me is down 3 at the back again leading to a large increase in cadence, followed by immediately by the shift up on the chainrings. The high cadence and thus low chain tension at the time greatly aids this sometimes awkward shift. You may notice that this second sequence leaves me in the same gear as I started. This is useful if any momentum is lost in the change. A single shift up one at the rear restores matters.

Canuk
Posts: 1105
Joined: 4 Oct 2016, 11:43pm

Re: Changing from 1st to 12th

Postby Canuk » 10 Feb 2019, 5:50pm

drossall wrote:We can't be too far away from the bike changing gears when you think about it. Just needs a Di3 insert surgically implanted behind your ear :lol:


Mind control of shifting is already with us!

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ ... ere-31508/

ndwgolf
Posts: 144
Joined: 2 Sep 2018, 2:50am

Re: Changing from 1st to 12th

Postby ndwgolf » 10 Feb 2019, 9:13pm

drossall wrote:We can't be too far away from the bike changing gears when you think about it. Just needs a Di3 insert surgically implanted behind your ear :lol:

I thought we had that already...........I have my Di2 programmed to drop three or up skirt three automatically when I go from large ring to small ring.

Neil

AndyK
Posts: 776
Joined: 17 Aug 2007, 2:08pm

Re: Changing from 1st to 12th

Postby AndyK » 11 Feb 2019, 10:33am

ndwgolf wrote:I thought we had that already...........I have my Di2 programmed to drop three or up skirt three automatically when I go from large ring to small ring.

Neil

Careful now, I think they made that illegal. :shock:

ndwgolf
Posts: 144
Joined: 2 Sep 2018, 2:50am

Re: Changing from 1st to 12th

Postby ndwgolf » 11 Feb 2019, 10:34am

AndyK wrote:
ndwgolf wrote:I thought we had that already...........I have my Di2 programmed to drop three or up skirt three automatically when I go from large ring to small ring.

Neil

Careful now, I think they made that illegal. :shock:

Hahahaha. Typeo