Resale value of Btwin 500 Triban SE ( whole or parts )

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: Resale value of Btwin 500 Triban SE ( whole or parts )

Postby PH » 31 Jan 2019, 10:20am

Worth selling the upgraded bits separately if you have the originals or others to leave you with a complete bike to sell. Otherwise you'll need to do the sums as an incomplete bike that was a budget model to start with isn't going to have much appeal. If you go that route, maybe sell the hardest to shift items first with the option of adding to it. I've seen several decent part-bikes donated to the re-cycling project because the owner couldn't get anything for them. I had the same some years ago, tried to sell a decent Cannondale without wheels and mechs and no one was interested, added £70 worth of bits to make it complete, added £100 to the price and could have sold it a dozen times.
Have you given up cycling? If not the best value might be to keep anything where there's a possibility you'll use in the future. A lesson I should learn myself, more than once I've had a change of plan and had to buy stuff I'd previously sold...
Ebay is a funny place, I sold a basic Dahon folder last year, 50% more than I'd paid for it five years ago and about twice what I was expecting. Yet I've seen a Rohloff bike fetch less than a Rohloff wheelset, the difference was in the description and photos, so that certainly helps.

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 31 Jan 2019, 5:02pm

a pushchair is an everyday item

and a simple bike like a Triban isn't? :?:
If he wants to sell the whole bike (or even the frame/forks) then postage (courier) will be a fair bit I'd say, not to mention the hassle of packing it.

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 31 Jan 2019, 10:15pm

gxaustin wrote:
a pushchair is an everyday item

and a simple bike like a Triban isn't? :?:
If he wants to sell the whole bike (or even the frame/forks) then postage (courier) will be a fair bit I'd say, not to mention the hassle of packing it.

the bike is, the parts aren't.