Conloy tubular wood filled rims?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jhea57

Conloy tubular wood filled rims?

Post by jhea57 »

HI
I purchased a lovely old track wheelset from the early 50's.
The previous owner raced them in the early 50's on tracks around Victoria Australia.
He said they were Conloy Track Rims (27/700c tubular wood filled aluminium rims) with Harden bacon slicer track hubs.
While I can find information on the hubs I can not find much information on the rims.
I have seen information on the ASP rims but not the track variety...
Does anyone know of these rims and how rare they might be...

thanks
John
rjb

Re: Conloy tubular wood filled rims?

Post by rjb »

Haven't come across aluminium with wood filling but this thread has some information hidden in it.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120750&p=1218003&hilit=Bamboo+Rims#p1218003 :wink:
And bit more here - http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/de ... onloy.html. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ebor62

Post by ebor62 »

From my 1963 Bike riders aids is the following entry under Rims - Sprint
Constrictor Conloy 12.5 ozs. Probably the strongest hollow sprint rim made. Has a very deep well, so that most tubulars need a rim tape to lift them from the edge, or the walls are liable to chafe. 54 shillings per pair.
No mention of wood filled, but the previous entry on the page is for Weinman Hollow Alloy wood filled rims and states that the flat section is made more rigid by the wood lining which allows the spoles to seat themselves into the rims.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Can't directly answer the question but I am aware that 40's (I think) Track Sprint Rims were wood (Bamboo I believe) so not beyond the realms of possibility. :?
Earlier Alloy Components weren't particularly robust due to the formulation of the Alloy ,the science is much better now.
That's not to say they don't last. I have a couple of pairs of Connoly High Pressure Rims that occasionally get an airing on a couple of older machines with no issues. :D
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I remember as a kid in the early 50s seeing peletons on the Keighley-Kendal road with some cyclists carrying what I thought were two spare wheels attached to the drops. I found out years later that these "spares" were in fact cane (presumably bamboo) racing wheels. Riders would ride sometimes hundreds of miles to a race, use the cane wheels in the race and then ride back hundreds of miles. Men were men in them days.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Yes you could buy special Brackets to hook over the end of the front spindle, held in place by the Track Nuts, your best wheels went in the brackets , and a toe strap around the rim at the top and up to the bars to steady it all.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sprint carriers

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... riers.html

For some reason I have a single Cyclo one as pictured. Cheapo flat spanners will do the job. Remember to fasten the top of each sprint to the lower part of your handlebars. T-o-e . s-t-r-a-p-s are ideal for that
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

The article mentions 20-30 miles to a race. A mate of mine told me his dad used to ride as far as Nottingham from Keighley to compete! My mate said his dad used to suck on a pebble so he didn't need water. Sounds horrible.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

A photo from the club archive - late 1930s

Most time trials started at 06.00 or even earlier in the height of summer so after a local race we met the clubrun and stayed out with them for the rest of the day.
Last edited by Grandad on 13 Feb 2019, 12:01am, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Note the "alpaca" jacket, compulsory for time trialling for many years (AIUI, part of a cunning plan to avoid being considered to be racing.)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I don't think the jacket in the photo is a racing one. At that time all race clothing had to be black in order to maintain the low profile of racing on the public highway. This was also the reason for the very early starting times.