Cycle odometer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
elduderino

Cycle odometer

Post by elduderino »

Hi

I use my bike every day, & would like to keep track of the distance travelled. I already have a Garmin edge 810 for when i do long distance rides, which is fine.

Is it possible to have an Cycle odometer app on my iphone that would just give me the distance traveled, without me having to put the Garmin Edge on the bike every time i use the bike for everyday short rides(i prefer to use the bike rather than the car).

Obviously, i know it would need a device permanently attached(so it cant be easily removed) to the bike to communicate with the app on the iphone.

The app does not need to have all bells & whistles, just distance traveled.

Preferably, the app would need to be on all the time, so i don't have to remember to turn it on when i use the bike.

Hope i have made myself clear.

Regards
Cunobelin

Re: Cycle odometer

Post by Cunobelin »

tHere are lots of apps and devices for tracking activity.

Unfortunately none are able to reliably distinguish activities.

IT will record walking, running, bus, car and all other activities.

I cannot think of one where you would not need to input start and stop
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

:P
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Would using a Wahoo speed sensor do your job with the Wahoo app?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Why not just buy a basic cycle computer. It will be permanently attached and no need to remove when leaving the bike. Trip distance and odo will give you the info you want.

I have one on each of my bikes.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I had several of those when I was at school. The wee wheel always came loose.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

simonhill wrote:Why not just buy a basic cycle computer. It will be permanently attached and no need to remove when leaving the bike. Trip distance and odo will give you the info you want.

The wired variety might still be available.

I used to mount the pickup and the unit, then take the bight of the wire and wind that round one of the brake or gear cables, taping the middle of it to the cable housing. Bike-shop mechanics could never understand this: after a service I would always find that they'd just mounted one end then wound the wire round & round the cable before mounting the other end. My way was twice as fast.

Good argument for doing your own servicing. I do, these days.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If you have an "App" for your phone then you are going to have to start and stop it.
Your phone will have GPS on it and you just have to choose an appropriate App to suit your needs.
A search on Google will bring up various cycling apps for Iphones. It may not have to be a dedicated "cycling" app, just something to measure distance if that's all that's required.
As others have posted, a hard wired computer would be the easy option. Usually self starting and reliable.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

cycleruk wrote:If you have an "App" for your phone then you are going to have to start and stop it.

Not so. You can use an app such as Google Fit or Samsung Health (does not require a Samsung phone). I read Samsung Fit may be better.

These apps track activity automatically, though you may need to adjust GPS settings to obtain good accuracy
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

thelawnet wrote:
cycleruk wrote:If you have an "App" for your phone then you are going to have to start and stop it.

Not so. You can use an app such as Google Fit or Samsung Health (does not require a Samsung phone). I read Samsung Fit may be better.

These apps track activity automatically, though you may need to adjust GPS settings to obtain good accuracy

But if you don't turn it off won't it still record other activities or can you set it just to know when your on the bike ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

simonhill wrote:Why not just buy a basic cycle computer. It will be permanently attached and no need to remove when leaving the bike. Trip distance and odo will give you the info you want.

Yes that’s what I do as well. I use a cat eye Strada wireless on my commuter bike. I’m not sure why but I just like to know how far Ive ridden each month and how long components last. I’ve not found a gps that has enough battery life that you can just leave on all the time.
RickH

Post by RickH »

When I got a Garmin (Edge 605) back in 2008, I just got into the habit of recording everything (longer than about 100yds or so). In those days I was doing lots of 3 to 4 mile utility trips that would usually rack up 50+ miles a week even if I didn't "just go out for a ride".
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
elduderino

Post by elduderino »

Can you tell what make you have on your bikes please.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

elduderino wrote:

Can you tell what make you have on your bikes please.

If you just want a cheap cycle computer look for a cheap wired model such as the Cateye Velo 7. It has auto start/stop, and battery life is around 3 years.