New to road cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nidge

New to road cycling

Post by Nidge »

Just getting into cycling, which bike should I go for, specialized Allez, or the new triban 500RC
thelawnet

Re: New to road cycling

Post by thelawnet »

Depends what you want it for? For riding for leisure in decent weather, the Allez.

It has 50/34 chainset, 11-32 8-speed cassette, rim brakes, 25mm tyres. Mudguard mounts are there. It weighs 9.6kg

The RC 500 is 50/34 11-32 9-speed cassette, 10.6kg, it has disc brakes, 28mm tyres.

The 8-speed vs 9-speed is not important, more important is that the RC500 has disc brakes & can fit big tyres. if you want it for commuting, then it's the better choice.

Note that Decathlon have some other bikes which are not disc brakes, and which may offer more value than the RC 500 if in fact you don't want discs.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The 520 RC is well worth the extra cash, if you can stretch to it.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-5 ... 54421.html

It’s an absolute absolute bargain as well, with that spec, at that price, as long as they have your size. If you don’t want disc brakes ( and for what it’s worth although I don’t really like discs on road type bikes ) the ones on this bike are very good, the Triban 540 is a proven superstar at this price point.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540- ... 77756.html

That’s a very competent frame, with a ( mostly ) 11 speed Shimano 105 5800 group set, and decent wheels, for less than 700 quid.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If your buying outright there are better value bikes than those two.

Wiggle have the Vitus razor for £339 with carbon forks and claris.

There are some new old stock Boardman team sports on eBay for £275 which have a triple butted frame claris and carbon forks.

They would be my best buys...?

Cheers James
CycleCool

Post by CycleCool »

The Triban RC120 for £370 has appeared on Decathlon's website recently. Released without much fanfare, infact the only thing I can find is an old tweet from their cycling manager intimating it's a update for the older well-reviewed Triban 500. Seems like it's the same frame, wider tyres, a couple of different components. Worth a look or is the RC500 still better value?

(Sorry for the thread hijack but I'm also looking for a first road bike and had settled on the RC500 before this RC120 appeared).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jamesh wrote:If your buying outright there are better value bikes than those two.

Wiggle have the Vitus razor for £339 with carbon forks and claris.

There are some new old stock Boardman team sports on eBay for £275 which have a triple butted frame claris and carbon forks.

They would be my best buys...?

Cheers James

Not better value, just cheaper. Claris is bargain basement stuff, won't have a long life expectancy if the bike is used. The 105 machine mentioned is OTOH a bobby dazzler!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

foxyrider wrote:Not better value, just cheaper. Claris is bargain basement stuff, won't have a long life expectancy if the bike is used. The 105 machine mentioned is OTOH a bobby dazzler!

Which parts? The shifters are pretty similar between Claris & 105. Chain & cassette should last longer with Claris. Derailleur 105 is more durable, but not too hard to change?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

thelawnet wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Not better value, just cheaper. Claris is bargain basement stuff, won't have a long life expectancy if the bike is used. The 105 machine mentioned is OTOH a bobby dazzler!

Which parts? The shifters are pretty similar between Claris & 105. Chain & cassette should last longer with Claris. Derailleur 105 is more durable, but not too hard to change?

The shifters might look similar but they are different internally. And why would a 'ClarisK cassette last longer than 105?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

foxyrider wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

The shifters might look similar but they are different internally.

Possibly; there might be some bits that are steel rather than plastic in the mechanism. I'd like to see a full disassembly done though to draw any conclusions on that - unfortunately bike reviewers just like selling stuff, rather than doing proper reviewing.

As far as the official information goes, Claris is 8-speed, Sora is 9-speed, Tiagra 10-speed, 105 11-speed, then Ultegra is 11-speed & lighter, Dura-Ace is also 11-speed, lighter again & multi-bearing.

They all use the same reach adjust, except Dura-Ace which has less.

105, Claris, Sora & Tiagra all weigh ~500g.

There might be some internal differences in terms of the quality of construction but I wouldn't like to say how many levels of quality there are - 1, 2, or more.

And why would a 'ClarisK cassette last longer than 105?

8-speed cassettes & chains are wider.
Marcus Aurelius

Jamesh wrote:If your buying outright there are better value bikes than those two.
s

There really aren’t. Those two come with a lifetime warranty on frame and forks as well.
Marcus Aurelius

foxyrider wrote:
Not better value, just cheaper. Claris is bargain basement stuff, won't have a long life expectancy if the bike is used. The 105 machine mentioned is OTOH a bobby dazzler!

Absolutely.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Hi Nidge. Welcome. As you can see this is the biggest can of worms ever. They are all correct as its a bit subjective. There does tend to be a big of value and longevity hunting here. Again all very correct but what does get pushed to one side is the desire to want something new and flashy just because you can.
Try and ride or at least poke a few bikes and read some reviews. You'll have to compare apples to pears. Don't rush it. Maybe consider a used bike even. Do lots of asking.
Finally remember that they will all do the job but equally there will always be something nicer ( for you ) to spend more money on.

Oh yeah. People here are surprisingly well meaning despite the "discussion". :D
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Nidge wrote:Just getting into cycling, which bike should I go for, specialized Allez, or the new triban 500RC

What do you mean by "Just getting into cycling"?
You can use any bike you like to cycle on roads. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about picking up a cheap second hand bike for about £100 with basic sti and carbon forks and seeing what you like.
Wether you want a race bike, sportive, touring, gravel etc.

Cheers James