Charging Di2

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ndwgolf

Charging Di2

Post by ndwgolf »

Guys
How often do you charge your Di2. When I look on the eTube app my battery shows full but when I plug it in to charge it the charging light will stay on for at least 30 minutes then go off.
I’m just wondering if there is a recommended in between charges time or miles??
Thanks
Neil
Brucey

Re: Charging Di2

Post by Brucey »

its a Li-Ion battery so there are various things that will help the battery last eg

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

In general Li-Ion batteries do better if you don't deep cycle them. However you don't necessarily know exactly how the battery is managed by the electronics in terms of discharge depth and also charge voltage; both can affect the battery life.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

The Di2 battery is 3.7Wh

I found these status light meanings here:

Solid green for 2 seconds = 76% to 100% full
Flash green 5 times = 51% to 75% full
Sold red for 2 seconds = 26% to 50% full
Flash red 5 times = 1% to 25% full

However perhaps the app works differently

The charge time is supposedly 1.5 hours, so 25% charge (or less) should take less than half an hour.

I wouldn't worry too much about charging them if they are still 'full', but it's certainly not harmful to do so.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I get about 1200 miles out of 6 year old Di2 batteries. When they were brand new I was averaging 1300-1350 miles on a single charge. For me that's a charge about every six weeks on my main electric shift bike in winter.
These batteries have been through Canada winters that would scare the living beejaysus out of typical British winter with extremes of - 50C and daytime averages of - 15/-25C. They have, how you say, been tested to hell and back.

Ridden mine through thigh flooded roads, deep enough to submerge the mechs and battery and no problems.