Added memory eTrex 20

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

Added memory eTrex 20

Post by whoof »

I've got a Garmin eTrex 20 and would like to get a larger (than the 4 GB) memory card. I've not bought such a card before and don't know if there is a standard size and compatibility.
Does anyone know one that's suitable.
This for instance?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/SanDisk-Ultra- ... 161&chn=ps
NUKe

Re: Added memory eTrex 20

Post by NUKe »

As no one else has answered. I am wondering why you need more than a 4Gb card I have never got anywhere near filling it. But yes you can put a larger card in people on the Garmin forum have used 16Gb.
NUKe

Post by LollyKat »

From the Garmin site:

eTrex 20/30 accepts 32GB microSD, Class 4 to Class 10
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The problem is more with fake cards.

A lot of the ones available are either clones or have the memory is less than stated.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thanks for the replies.

The reason I was looking for extra memory was if I look to load up one route and look at the available space there doesn't seem to be a lot. I have only been using it for day rides and Audaxes but was thinking of a two week tour this Summer so was going to load about 20 different days onto it to cover the route and possible alternatives.

The cards don't look expensive so I'll get one and if it does advertise 32 Gb and it turns out to be 16 Gb then I'll still have 4 times the memory I currently have, just didn't want to buy something that didn't fit or wouldn't work at all.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

The card on my etrex 20 (which I think great by the way) is quite small. I keep the maps on it. Don't feel the need to keep lots of maps on it since I know where I am touring at any one time and in extremis could always download more via the small chromebook I carry.

But the main memory (bigger on the 20x I think) is starting to get near the top.

It seems to default to putting the routes and waypoints in the inbuilt memory.

Is it possible to have some or all of them on the card?

Apologies for asking, I really should know this.
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

As with Sweep, my maps are kept on an 8GB card in order to keep the built-in memory free.
I've tried a few times to load tracks etc onto the card but as far as I know, it just won't work.
The only way around it that I can think of, is to back up what tracks you do have onto a pc/laptop and then delete them from the etrex, leaving room for tour routes etc.When the tour's done, just stick your tracks back on the etrex.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote:As with Sweep, my maps are kept on an 8GB card in order to keep the built-in memory free.
I've tried a few times to load tracks etc onto the card but as far as I know, it just won't work.
The only way around it that I can think of, is to back up what tracks you do have onto a pc/laptop and then delete them from the etrex, leaving room for tour routes etc.When the tour's done, just stick your tracks back on the etrex.

Thanks Vantage.

It's this which will probably make me eventually get the Etrex20x which I think has double the internal memory.

There is another reason for putting the map on the card - I think that now and again an improper loading of the maps** can cause system screw ups. If they are on the card you can temporarily remove it to get it to sort itself out.

** BY the by every now and again (though it is extremely rare) the Etrex 20 appears to lose all of its waypoints and routes - has happened to me 2 or 3 times. One reason it's a good idea to travel with something that will link to the Etrex/allow you to use it as a drive. For in my experience if you look on the Etrex from your computer (a chromebook is fine) the stuff is all there, the daft thing has just thrown a fit. Solution is to take them all off to the attached computer. Reeboot the garmin so it feels all happy. Then switch it off. Connect again to the computer and put the waypoints and routes back on in the correct folder.

On rebooting the garmin it will miraculously see everything again.

I assume it is just some sort of indexing problem - taking the stuff off and putting it back forces the nervous thing to do some fresh housekeeping.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote:The only way around it that I can think of, is to back up what tracks you do have onto a pc/laptop and then delete them from the etrex, leaving room for tour routes etc.When the tour's done, just stick your tracks back on the etrex.

My preplanned route are created on the chromebook in the first place and stored on the cloud. So I can just delete routes from the Etrex kmowing that it can always be put back on.

It's the waypoints I can't get my head round - the Etrex appears to amalgamate several waypoints into files with dates and there's a whole collection of these dated files so I can't easily see on the computer what's what. So have no chouce but to leave all the waypoints/self created points of interest on the etrex, even if they are in separate countries, just deleting ones I know I will never ever use again.

If anyone can educate me about a possible way round this I would be grateful.

The Etrex 20 is excellent and just needs more internal storage and faster processing (so it doesn't hesitate at roundabouts etc) but I fear that the 20x may be the end of the line and that Garmin will prefer to develop/sell higher priced things with features I don't want or need.
Sweep
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

There is a vast amount of etrex 20/30 knowledge on the Audax UK forum. If you have been Audaxing and are a member you should be able to access this. If not join u and support them.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've had quite a few memory cards of various formats over the years from MyMemory. They seem to be well priced and, as far as I can tell, genuine. I usually get SanDisk or Samsung cards. Their stuff ships from Switzerland.

Under £4 including postage shipped from Hong Kong doesn't inspire me with confidence that you would get something genuine.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

These cards are readily available at many supermarkets.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Vantage wrote:As with Sweep, my maps are kept on an 8GB card in order to keep the built-in memory free.

That's surprising. I have an Oregon 450, which in all respects I have ever noticed is pretty much the same as an eTrex 20, except that it has a touch screen. If I plug it into a computer and copy tracks to its memory card it has no trouble finding them and using them.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

RickH wrote:I've had quite a few memory cards of various formats over the years from MyMemory. They seem to be well priced and, as far as I can tell, genuine. I usually get SanDisk or Samsung cards. Their stuff ships from Switzerland.

Under £4 including postage shipped from Hong Kong doesn't inspire me with confidence that you would get something genuine.

+1 for MyMemory as a reliable and relatively cheap source of memory cards.
RickH

Post by RickH »

ANTONISH wrote:These cards are readily available at many supermarkets.

But usually at least double the price per GB of online sellers like MyMemory.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.